PDA

View Full Version : McConnell to Filibuster Reid Gun Control Bill

RPfan1992
04-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Senator Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has confirmed he will filibuster new gun control legislation, spokesman Brian McGuire confirmed for me today.

While nobody knows yet what Senator Reid’s plan is for the gun bill, if he chooses to file cloture on the motion to proceed to the Reid Bill (S. 649), Senator McConnell will oppose cloture on proceeding to that bill.

The future of the legislation could depend on the success of a Republican mounted filibuster which has seen some opposition from the moderate wing of the party with Senator John McCain (R-AZ) questioning its purpose and asking “what are we afraid of?”

MSNBC host Joe Scarborough took it a step further, claiming that a filibuster would support rapists over parents. “I can’t believe those Republicans are going to allow the entire Republican Party to be the party that basically put rapists’ rights over parents’ rights to keep their kids safe when they go to school,” he said on Morning Joe Monday.

McConnell finds himself instead in the company of recent filibuster champions Rand Paul (R-KY), Mike Lee (R-UT), and Ted Cruz (R-TX), the three of which told Politico in March,”We will oppose the motion to proceed to any legislation that will serve as a vehicle for any additional gun restrictions.”

A bill is expected to land in the Senate for a vote this week.

http://www.redstate.com/2013/04/08/mcconnell-to-filibuster-reid-gun-control-bill/

juleswin
04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
We takin over.

PatriotOne
04-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Did not see that coming. You would think he would have left it up to a younger man. Can McConnell coherantly speak for hours on end on the subject? Can they tag team? Of course I know why he's doing it...has an election coming up...needs some tea party street cred. Thats okay but I have my doubts he can launch a Rand styled fillibuster and be as effective. Maybe they are all teaming up and writing hours and hours of speaking material.

itshappening
04-08-2013, 03:38 PM
it's not a talking filibuster - yet.

Rand is placing a 'hold' on the bill which requires 60 votes to come to the floor.

If they break the hold and get the 60 votes then Rand and his allies need to take over the debate and talk as much as possible.

Then they can insist on 60 votes for final passage and also try other procedural tricks to stop it.

kcchiefs6465
04-08-2013, 03:41 PM
MSNBC host Joe Scarborough took it a step further, claiming that a filibuster would support rapists over parents. “I can’t believe those Republicans are going to allow the entire Republican Party to be the party that basically put rapists’ rights over parents’ rights to keep their kids safe when they go to school,” he said on Morning Joe Monday.

I can't even begin to grasp what the logic behind that statement is. 'Rapists' rights over parents' right when kids go to school?' What???

Brett85
04-08-2013, 03:53 PM
That makes McConnell better than both Coburn and Toomey in the Senate.

JK/SEA
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
give Mitch a cookie and a one 'attaboy' pat on the back.

Spoa
04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
give Mitch a cookie and a one 'attaboy' pat on the back.

I honestly believe that McConnell would be a decent senator. He's no leader though. Great senator, not so great leader.

Origanalist
04-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I honestly believe that McConnell would be a decent senator. He's no leader though. Great senator, not so great leader.

Yep. Move over Mitch, Junior is blowin' by you.

T.hill
04-09-2013, 01:16 AM
He's now the 15th Republican to join the filibuster, does anyone know the names of the 15 senators?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/08/mitch-mcconnell-gun-bill_n_3040528.html

Rudeman
04-09-2013, 03:08 AM
Here's the ones I know:
Rand Paul
Mike Lee
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Jerry Moran
Jim Inhofe
Richard Burr
Ron Johnson
Mike Enzi
Jim Risch
Mike Crapo
Dan Coats
Pat Roberts

Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/rand-paul-gun-control-filibuster-89694.html?hp=f1

and now Mitch.

That's 14, so I'm not sure who the other one is.

Chester Copperpot
04-09-2013, 06:14 AM
well thats great so now Rand has 14% or 15% of the senate in agreeance with him..

MikeStanart
04-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Mitch is joining because he's a little worried about his re-election, imo.

FSP-Rebel
04-09-2013, 09:01 AM
YAL, LFA and AZ folk need to lean heavily on Sen Flake because he's been acting like one.