PDA

View Full Version : Man calls police to report himself driving drunk

green73
04-08-2013, 02:06 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/nwitimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/09/309abaf7-1e79-5023-837e-3c02c436a279/5162ca1d6bfb2.preview-620.jpg

JASPER COUNTY | A 24-year-old Logansport, Ind. man is in the Jasper County jail after calling police to report himself as a drunken driver.

According to Indiana State Police, Matthew Devore, 24, called the Jasper County Sheriff's Department at 12:20 a.m. to say he was drunk and needed to be removed from the road.

State police found Devore at the 226 mile marker of northbound Interstate 65, about four miles south of the Demotte/Roselawn exit.

Devore drove a 1996 Toyota off the roadway into a grassy median and was able to drive out but then realized on of the tires was flat. Police said Devore then pulled onto the shoulder and called 911 to report himself as a drunken driver.

Devore allegedly told police he was "sick of Indiana" and decided to "go for a drive." When police asked why Devore's knuckles were bloody, he allegedly said he was playing darts Sunday evening and decided to punch a wall.

Devore registered a blood alcohol concentration of .09, just over the legal limit of .08. He was arrested and transported to the Jasper County Jail.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/jasper/demotte/man-calls-state-police-to-report-himself-as-drunken-driver/article_73ee1a33-ea36-52b9-922b-6c23ff79797b.html

abacabb
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Dummy.

kathy88
04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Maybe he wanted to stop drinking and figured this would be a good way to do it? Dunno. That, or he was really fucking wasted.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
lol. If he was sick of Indiana before, let's see how he feels in a few months.

abacabb
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Maybe he wanted to stop drinking and figured this would be a good way to do it? Dunno. That, or he was really fucking wasted.
His BAC was 0.09. If I were the cop, I'd figure it was some sort of undercover cop.

Anti Federalist
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Suicide by cop gone wrong?

PaulConventionWV
04-08-2013, 02:46 PM

He had a BAC of .09. With that in mind, it was probably the former.

talkingpointes
04-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Meanwhile in Jasper county.

Occam's Banana
04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
When police asked why Devore's knuckles were bloody, he allegedly said he was playing darts Sunday evening and decided to punch a wall.

"he allegedly said" ... ? WTF?! Is Devore being suspected of (or charged with) saying that he played darts and punched a wall?

green73
04-08-2013, 02:54 PM
"he allegedly said" ... ? WTF?! Is Devore being suspected of (or charged with) saying that he played darts and punched a wall?

Smh. Journalists today.

kcchiefs6465
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
He should have walked it off. Found a quiet place to sleep far away from his car and called a tow in the morning. (or preferrably called a friend to come and pick him up)

Probably was close to the middle of nowhere and felt overwhelmed. As I understand it, it is still quite cold in Indiana right now. I could imagine him being drunk enough not to plan ahead for the dropping temperatures. Probably didn't have a jacket.

green73
04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Probably was close to the middle of nowhere and felt overwhelmed.

He wasn't on LSD. He was .09.

kcchiefs6465
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Lol. Being broke down with no coat, at night; A couple of miles may seem like forever. He probably started walking, figured it was too cold for it, and called. I really don't know the reason, I am simply speculating. Either that or he drank the proverbial kool-aid and was being a good little citizen.

Me personally, I would have hid my keys in an obscure but easy to remember hiding place, (under the seat or what have you) and started walking. If stopped, there'd be no evidence I was driving. Then again, I probably would have called for a ride from a friend. But then again, you don't really think straight when you've been drinking and sometimes the pigs are there before you can pack up your clothes and hit the woods. (I know) Being unnaturally cold, will skew your thoughts as well. Might have just wanted to be warm. (and after an hour or two in 30-40 degree weather, you might start thinking a few days in jail doesn't sound that bad) Really can't say.

PaulConventionWV
04-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Smh. Journalists today.

The word "allegedly" just clouds everything up. It's like saying "legend has it..."

PaulConventionWV
04-08-2013, 03:19 PM

It's easy for someone to feel overwhelmed and do irrational things. Especially when you're alone like that.

AFPVet
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
.09 BAC? Are you fucking kidding me? There must've been something else going on. Most people can drive fine under .10... sounds like he had a very low alcohol tolerance. All of the FSTs we did were designed for .10 not .08. You have to blow in order to get that.

green73
04-08-2013, 03:42 PM
The word "allegedly" just clouds everything up. It's like saying "legend has it..."

The writer should have used 'reportedly'.

green73
04-08-2013, 03:43 PM
It's easy for someone to feel overwhelmed and do irrational things. Especially when you're alone like that.

Maybe in the land of the sheep and home of the ninny.

QuickZ06
04-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Is this another Onion story?

Origanalist
04-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Is this another Onion story?

.09? Sure sounds like it. But no, it's NWI.com. whatever that is. What a bizzare story. I guess the gubmint schools did their work well.

enhanced_deficit
04-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Me personally, I would have hid my keys in an obscure but easy to remember hiding place, (under the seat or what have you) and started walking.

Curious why would that be needed?

To reduce a speeding ticket fine and avoid points on license years ago , I had opted to take a safe driving class. It was very informative. The instructor said few things that I still remember:

- On a stop sign, cops look at the spinning wheel of the car to make sure there is full stop. Otherwise one can still get a ticket even if almost stopped but not completely.

- You can get a ticket if one of your paasengers has an open container of beer in car even without your knowledge

- Cops can ticket a wasted person sitting/sleeping in a parked car in a parking lot if the key is in ignition.

That driving class was long time ago and unless laws changed, a wasted person cannot be ticketed if is sitting in his/her car as long as the key is not in ignitioin? Maybe someone can correct if that is not true.
But just a technicality, it would be not wise to plan this as first thiing alcohol does is it affects your judgement.

tasteless
04-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Maybe he didn't have an ex girlfriend to drunk dial?

J_White
04-09-2013, 12:07 AM
he might be the first one to sign up for the chips, when they become available !

wait...a crazy family already had that honor !

kcchiefs6465
04-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Cops can ticket a wasted person sitting/sleeping in a parked car in a parking lot if the key is in ignition.

That driving class was long time ago and unless laws changed, a wasted person cannot be ticketed if is sitting in his/her car as long as the key is not in ignitioin? Maybe someone can correct if that is not true.
But just a technicality, it would be not wise to plan this as first thiing alcohol does is it affects your judgement.
If you are on the side of the road, say you pulled over because you are trying to sober out, and a cop approaches, whether the keys are in the ignition or not, you may and probably will be charged with a DUI depending on your BAC. If you've been drinking and your girlfriend kicked you out for the night and you go to sleep in your car, you may get charged with a DUI and they'll let you fight it in court. I've known a man who passed out in his car in his driveway listening to music. He was given a DUI when the keys weren't even in the ignition and no one saw him drive.

If your car breaks down, (especially when you have a flat tire and evidence of damage, as if you went into a ditch like the OP) You want to get far away from the car and do not want to have the keys on you. If picked up by the cops while walking down the road you can simply say you were at a bar, (can't remember which one) you weren't fit to drive, and a guy you were playing pool with seemed sober enough. Upon going in said ditch, he said he had warrants on him, and ran. (taking your keys. If they search the car and find them, play dumb. Which is why under the seat is a good idea. He surely must have dropped them, right?) Make sure to be the drunken helpful citizen and point the cop in the direction said imaginary friend went.

DISCLAIMER:
If your drunken ass gets caught up in your own story (change the name of your imaginary friend, for example) you will have more charges than you would have. Know your state's laws. I am not advocating anyone ever lie to the brave men and women who protect and serve. I am simply speculating and am not responsible for any crimes committed.

And for God's sake, have an extra coat in your car.