PDA

View Full Version : Man charged with killing bear in backyard

green73
04-08-2013, 07:57 AM
[video]

Richard Ahlstrand told WBZ-TV he was stocking his bird feeder Friday night when a bear about seven feet tall and 300-to-400 pounds started chasing him.

That’s when he turned his shotgun on the bear.

“I didn’t have time to aim through the sights, but I aimed in the direction of the head on this thing and I pulled the trigger before it got to me. It just dropped,” he said.

Ahlstrand said he was carrying the shotgun Friday night because he thought he saw the bear in his yard Thursday.

“If that ever jumped on me, I wouldn’t even be here right know, I don’t think. I know it was going to seriously maul me,” he said.

Ahlstrand is now charged with illegally killing a bear, illegally baiting a bear, illegal possession of a firearm and failing to secure a weapon.

Authorities believed the female bear had cubs. Ahlstrand says he feels bad about that, but he believes he being unfairly labeled.

“They got me set up now like I’m some kind of murderer. And then the environmental guy told me ‘You should have called me instead of shooting it.’ What was I going to do, say ‘Mister Bear would excuse me please while I go make a phone call?’”

Police don’t believe the bear was a threat to people.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/04/07/auburn-man-facing-charges-after-killing-bear-in-his-backyard/

tod evans
04-08-2013, 07:59 AM
The government officials seeking to prosecute this fellow deserve to be flogged on the square!

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 08:06 AM
The man knew better than to have bird feeder out at this time of year. The police chief is being a complete masshole, though.

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 08:23 AM
The man knew better than to have bird feeder out at this time of year. The police chief is being a complete masshole, though.
Birds need a bird feeder the most in the winter.

A Son of Liberty
04-08-2013, 08:32 AM
"Shoot, shovel, shut up."

green73
04-08-2013, 08:33 AM

If he's got a shotgun why can't he feed the birds? I won't submit to nature like that. If a bear comes on my land he gets dead, and I get a new coat.

http://www.iwebc.com/Photos/Art/ezpics.com/lefevre/Western/29.jpg?07215MT1hhmLD8G

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Birds need a bird feeder the most in the winter.

It is Spring and people are supposed to not put bird feeders anywhere near wooded, bear prone areas in early Spring.

Remember the governor of Vermont screwing up? http://abcnews.go.com/news/t/blogEntry?id=16132735

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
It is Spring and people are supposed to not put bird feeders anywhere near wooded, bear prone areas in early Spring.

Remember the governor of Vermont screwing up? http://abcnews.go.com/news/t/blogEntry?id=16132735

I'll feed the birds any time I feel like it. If a bear becomes a problem, then I'll call him a varmint and shoot his ass.

abacabb
04-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Dude, he should get a medal for that.

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 08:40 AM
"Shoot, shovel, shut up."

Yep, that's a good reason to have a backhoe. I wonder how anyone found out he had killed a bear.

S.Shorland
04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Are there any witnesses that say he went hunting the bear purposely,off his own property.Obviously two or more.? If not,then what on earth do the police think they are doing?

abacabb
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090629230449/wikiality/images/8/88/Radioactivecommunistzombiebeebears.jpg

Lucille
04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
The EcoNazis believe Bears > Humans. They'd prefer he be ripped to shreds.

...illegal possession of a firearm and failing to secure a weapon.

Shotguns are illegal in Mass?

YHGTBFKM

(The Agenda 21 goons are trying to ban bird feeders here.)

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Yep, that's a good reason to have a backhoe. I wonder how anyone found out he had killed a bear.
For 1 thing, he fired a gun. By doing that, he did something his neighbors very likely knew was against the law.

angelatc
04-08-2013, 08:57 AM
I'll feed the birds any time I feel like it. If a bear becomes a problem, then I'll call him a varmint and shoot his ass.

Exactly. It may be true that people who don't want to attract bears shouldn't put out birdfeeders, any more than they would leave garbage cans or food out. But deciding that you want to have a birdfeeder and are willing to risk attracting the bears shouldn't be a crime.

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 09:01 AM
For 1 thing, he fired a gun. By doing that, he did something his neighbors very likely knew was against the law.

Against the law? I shoot my firearms often and my neighbors never complain. It's not against the law here.

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Exactly. It may be true that people who don't want to attract bears shouldn't put out birdfeeders, any more than they would leave garbage cans or food out. But deciding that you want to have a birdfeeder and are willing to risk attracting the bears shouldn't be a crime.
I don't think it was. I think the having an unsecured gun, shooting a gun and baiting/killing a bear that wasn't a threat were what he was charged with. I don't think those should be crimes either but he was baiting. He said he thought the bear was in the yard the previous night. Then he not only left the bird feeder out but went to refill it when he thought the bear might be around. Maybe he just wanted to do a lazy hunt? Problem is, it isn't bear season.

brushfire
04-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Oh gosh, its a bear for pete sakes! I'd kill it too... no questions asked. In fact, in addition to killing it, I'd gut it, take out its gall bladder, and head on down to Chinatown - just to pay for the ammo.

I'm all for sparing wildlife (I had a recent incident where I had to go to great lengths to do so), but there's a point where life is more important than nature. In IL we have been having cougar sitings, and the police in Chicago killed one a year or so back - no questions asked. So why call the cops to have them do what I can do myself, on my property?

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't think it was. I think the having an unsecured gun, shooting a gun and baiting/killing a bear that wasn't a threat were what he was charged with. I don't think those should be crimes either but he was baiting. He said he thought the bear was in the yard the previous night. Then he not only left the bird feeder out but went to refill it when he thought the bear might be around. Maybe he just wanted to do a lazy hunt? Problem is, it isn't bear season.
Bear season or not, if one comes on my property and chases me, it's going to die.

kcchiefs6465
Bear season...? Lmao. If a bear comes into my yard menacingly, it's open season. That being said, I wasn't aware of the issue with the bird feeders. Grew up in the city and didn't rightly see too many bears.

He probably tried to have the bear stuffed or contacted a newspaper/told friend who contacted a newspaper about his close encounter. Not the best thing to do. Should have carved the bear up, froze the meat, and ate bear steaks for a year. I'd like to know how they found out, myself.

abacabb
Bear season or not, if one comes on my property and chases me, it's going to die.
Be careful if you work for the police, some people here my misinterpret that as an abuse of power.

kcchiefs6465
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Be careful if you work for the police, some people here my misinterpret that as an abuse of power.
A bear is a little bit different than a dog. And if a police officer went onto someone's property without permission and shot someone's pet bear, I'd be pissed as well. The difference is private property. If a cop shot a charging bear on his property as this man claimed to do, no one would care. Except for the fact that he wouldn't have been charged with anything and that there seems to be a different set of laws and punishments based on a certain profession.

abacabb
04-08-2013, 09:18 AM
A bear is a little bit different than a dog. And if a police officer went onto someone's property without permission and shot someone's pet bear, I'd be pissed as well. The difference is private property. If a cop shot a charging bear on his property as this man claimed to do, no one would care. Except for the fact that he wouldn't have been charged with anything and that there seems to be a different set of laws and punishments based on a certain profession.
I know, I'm just kidding. But what if it was a bear from the circus that rides a unicycle?

kcchiefs6465
04-08-2013, 09:19 AM
I know, I'm just kidding. But what if it was a bear from the circus that rides a unicycle?
Then that pet owner might have a claim in a Texas court. ;)

brushfire
04-08-2013, 09:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4K75XlaIg

abacabb
04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Then that pet owner might have a claim in a Texas court. ;)
LOL.

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 09:26 AM
The man just needs to tell those prosecuting him, their bear is worthless thus they can't sue.

abacabb
04-08-2013, 09:27 AM
The man just needs to tell those prosecuting him, their bear is worthless thus they can't sue.
/Thread Winner

enjerth
04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/04/07/auburn-man-facing-charges-after-killing-bear-in-his-backyard/

Authorities believed the female bear had cubs. Police don’t believe the bear was a threat to people.

I wonder why...

http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/images/february2013/190213target4.jpg

abacabb
04-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I wonder why...

http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/images/february2013/190213target4.jpg
I wonder if the cubs will be ok going to a group home...

Matthew5
04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
This gentleman was simply exercising his right to bear arms. Or maybe he should just grin and bear it?

I'll see myself out.

MRK
04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Isn't this one of those situations that the left says is what guns are for? Isn't this the "shotgun" that Joe Biden says responsible people should use instead of rifles?

abacabb
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
This gentleman was simply exercising his right to bear arms. Or maybe he should just grin and bear it?

I'll see myself out.
And there is no right to arm bears. Remember that.

A Son of Liberty
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm still not sure why he used a shotgun on a bear. Granted, it was only 300-400 lbs, but depending on the range, shot has as much a chance of merely pissing the bear off as killing it.

scottditzen
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I always feed my birds while carrying a shotgun lol.

Likely the guy was either being recklessly stupid, or he lured the animal there to shoot it.

Lucille
04-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Likely the guy was either being recklessly stupid, or he lured the animal there to shoot it.

Didn't RTFA, or even the excerpt green posted for your convenience, I see.

Ahlstrand said he was carrying the shotgun Friday night because he thought he saw the bear in his yard Thursday.

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Didn't RTFA, or even the excerpt green posted for your convenience, I see.

That's kinda what scott seemed to be saying.

Lucille
04-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Is it?

This place is going to the dogs. I'm taking a break.

oyarde
04-08-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm still not sure why he used a shotgun on a bear. Granted, it was only 300-400 lbs, but depending on the range, shot has as much a chance of merely pissing the bear off as killing it.

#1 buckshot , 12 ga , is 16 balls of .30 cal.I have seen many large black bear dropped wih it.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-08-2013, 11:12 AM

That's one sneaky ass bear.

jbauer
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM

REALLY??? Filling a bird feeder is baiting? Come on really?

osan
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Massachusetts. Need I say more?

oyarde
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Just so everyone knows , I also intend to shoot any squirells and people that attack me at my bird feeder and yes , I carry a shotgun :)

Anti Federalist
04-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Guy would have been fine, if he had a funny government costume and tin badge.

VoluntaryAmerican
04-08-2013, 12:13 PM
A female bear with cubs in the area?

I'm not some bear expert, but that sounds dangerous to me.

Officer friendly seems to disagree.

bunklocoempire
04-08-2013, 12:29 PM
REALLY??? Filling a bird feeder is baiting? Come on really?

Sure it is. Just like being a meat bag walking out in the yard is. Human should've stayed inside.

Just like their police brethren bears are famous for adhering to NAP -unless given a decent reason to attack like being on someone else's property for example.

Human clearly messed up.

:toady:

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Massachusetts. Need I say more?
It was in Auburn, MA. Auburn borders the 2nd largest city in MA. Since it was illegal for him to a fire a gun and he did it in an area where many people likely heard the gun, it's a no brainer that people would find out.

Occam's Banana
04-08-2013, 12:40 PM

The following is excerpted from Officer Friendly's Handy-Dandy Threat Matrix:

PERPETRATOR

QUALIFIER

THREAT STATUS

PERMISSIBLE RESPONSE

Dog
family pet
threat (to police)
shoot (police only)

Bear
mother of cubs?
NOT a threat (to non-police)
DO NOT shoot (non-police only)

green73
04-08-2013, 12:54 PM

I imagine he was using slugs.

Anti Federalist
04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
I imagine he was using slugs.

Mass.

There is a ridiculously complicated "tier" system for "permission" to own certain types of firearms.

Shotguns are what most of the few mundanes that do own firearms in that state are "allowed" to own.

jtap
04-08-2013, 01:43 PM
It was in Auburn, MA. Auburn borders the 2nd largest city in MA. Since it was illegal for him to a fire a gun and he did it in an area where many people likely heard the gun, it's a no brainer that people would find out.

That makes no sense to me. Mass. is a "May Issue" state for concealed carry. So I am assuming here you are saying it's illegal to fire in the city limits. I don't get then why they allow concealed carry if at any point in time that you use your weapon (that you are allowed to carry with a permit) for protection in the city limits, you will then be arrested for illegal firing of a gun.

I am thinking there must be a provision to allow it in some circumstances and if so, the question is why are they selectively choosing to ignore it for this gentleman?

green73
04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Mass.

There is a ridiculously complicated "tier" system for "permission" to own certain types of firearms.

Shotguns are what most of the few mundanes that do own firearms in that state are "allowed" to own.

Are shotgun slugs banned?

GOP
04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Against the law? I shoot my firearms often and my neighbors never complain. It's not against the law here.

In most cities it is illegal to shoot a firearm within city limits.

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Well, if the bear was in the city, it had no business being there.

green73
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM

Unless it's in self-defense.

GOP
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Unless it's in self-defense.

Obviously.

GOP
04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Well, if the bear was in the city, it had no business being there.

Guns have no place in the city, that's what we have police departments for. /s

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Guns have no place in the city, that's what we have police departments for. /s
Yep, I used to keep a couple in the back room just in case I needed to shoot a bad guy.

anaconda
04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I want me some of that bear meat! Very Paleo. But seriously, Too bad the magnificent animal had to die.

This creepy Orwellian agenda is so vile now that I think it has finally begun to crumble, but we are in the very early stages. There is a crack in their dam, and they can't hold it back much longer.

satchelmcqueen
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
another bullshit story with someone in danger being charged. was he supposed to allow the bear to kill him??

GOP
04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
another bullshit story with someone in danger being charged. was he supposed to allow the bear to kill him??

No, he was supposed to lobby his representative to pass a law telling bears to stay off his property.

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
No, he was supposed to lobby his representative to pass a law telling bears to stay off his property.

Oh I thought perhaps they wanted him to dress the bear up as a dog and call the police.

GOP
04-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Oh I thought perhaps they wanted him to dress the bear up as a dog and call the police.

He'd have to shrink the bear and curl it's hair like a poodle to really scare the cops.

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 05:43 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/538980_532864886757303_1771691171_n.jpg

Icymudpuppy
04-08-2013, 07:15 PM
It's people like these idiots that keep me in business. City folk just don't know what to do when it comes to wildlife.

Dr.3D
04-08-2013, 08:24 PM
He'd have to shrink the bear and curl it's hair like a poodle to really scare the cops.
Na, just tell em it's a pit bull.... that seems to work every time.

puppetmaster
04-08-2013, 10:14 PM
For 1 thing, he fired a gun. By doing that, he did something his neighbors very likely knew was against the law. my gawd how in the hell did you get so many rep points?. Has someone hijacked your account? Defending yourself with a gun is not a crime in this country.... I hope

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 10:44 PM
my gawd how in the hell did you get so many rep points?. Has someone hijacked your account? Defending yourself with a gun is not a crime in this country.... I hope

I didn't say I think it should be against the law to fire a gun. It is against the law though, as pretty much everyone knows. This happened in Worcester County MA. It's an urban area. I don't think he should go to jail. The police chief didn't think the man defended himself. He thinks it was baiting. That's what I got from the story, anyway.

oyarde
04-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Likely the guy was either being recklessly stupid, or he lured the animal there to shoot it. This is called , being prepared, you may like to try it as the nation moves on , lol

oyarde
04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
A female bear with cubs in the area?

I'm not some bear expert, but that sounds dangerous to me.

Officer friendly seems to disagree.

Uh , yes it is dangerous .Sows are mean.

oyarde
04-08-2013, 11:06 PM

Too much trouble , easier to just eat them.

oyarde
04-08-2013, 11:12 PM
It's people like these idiots that keep me in business. City folk just don't know what to do when it comes to wildlife.

:) Jack is correct , lol , he will tell you not to have a bird feeder .They draw rodents , rodents draw snakes etc, this eco system stuff is fun . I hope he makes a blue million this yr. .myself , I will be content to eat rabbits , quail , grouse , doves , Wood ducks, Woodcock , snipe , turkey , squirrel, deer , Bluegill , Crappie, Smallmouth bass , Warmouth, Redear and feed my birds, LOL

James Madison
04-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Clearly, he should have called 911 and waited for the authorities to arrive. Then again they would have most likely ignored his cries for help and turned their attention to the neighbor's dog.

Maybe he could urinate himself...or tell the bear he's menstruating...

J_White
04-09-2013, 12:02 AM
wtf ? cant even defend ourselves from an attacking wild animal ?
we need to "call" the gubermint first and take their permission ?

oyarde
04-09-2013, 12:15 AM
For some reason, govt.'s like bears , lions , deadbeats , feral cats , taxes ,fees , fines ..... but for some reason they hate , children , lemonade , taxpayers, dogs ,Liberty , freedom, firearms .All the more reason I do not need govts, :) , I like lemonade, bears, lions ,Liberty , freedom , firearms, dogs and children.All these things that I like still remain once the evil , stealing , killing govts do not remain....

puppetmaster
04-09-2013, 12:29 AM
For 1 thing, he fired a gun. By doing that, he did something his neighbors very likely knew was against the law. my gawd how in the hell did you get so many rep points?. Has someone hijacked your account? Defending yourself with a gun is not a crime in this country.... I hope

oyarde
04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Just saw an interview with this guy on the boob tube, evidently his " permit" for the shotgun was expired. What a commie state, requiring permit for a shotgun.Ridiculous.

oyarde
04-10-2013, 01:12 AM
How much is a " shotgun permit" ?? How did that ever pass ??

S.Shorland
04-10-2013, 06:43 AM
I read his neighbour was leaving doughnuts on the tree branches to attract the bear.It was the neighbour who reported him.

oyarde
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Feeding bears sweets , where you live , borders on full retard .

kcchiefs6465
04-10-2013, 10:26 AM
I read his neighbour was leaving doughnuts on the tree branches to attract the bear.It was the neighbour who reported him.
Link?

Dr.3D
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
The neighbor must have thought it was a squirrel.