PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana Legalization Bill Introduced in Alabama

CaseyJones
04-07-2013, 04:16 PM
http://www.thedailychronic.net/2013/16910/marijuana-legalization-bill-introduced-in-alabama/

MONTGOMERY, AL — A bill that would allow the possession, use, cultivation, and sale of marijuana by adults in Alabama was introduced Thursday. The bill would also authorize the medical use of marijuana in Alabama and the cultivation of industrial hemp.

House Bill 550, the Alabama Cannabis and Hemp Reform Act of 2013, was introduced Thursday by Birmingham Democrat Rep. Patricia Todd, who has unsuccessfully lobbied her colleagues at the Alabama state house to legalize medical marijuana, including two medical marijuana bills introduced this year.

If passed, House Bill 550 would:

Allow adults 21 or older to use or possess up to one ounce of marijuana
Allow adults 21 or older to grow up to twelve mature cannabis plants in an enclosed, locked space
Allow adults 21 or older to share, but not sell, marijuana among other adults 21 or older
Authorize the Department of Revenue to regulate the cultivation, processing, packaging, testing, transportation, display, and sale of marijuana and marijuana accessories
Prohibit the sale of marijuana except by licensed, regulated cannabis retail stores
Sets product labeling regulations and advertising restrictions for marijuana and marijuana related businesses
Authorize the medical use of marijuana by certain qualifying patients who have been diagnosed by a physician as having a serious medical condition.
Allow the cultivation of industrial hemp by Alabama farmers
Impose penalties for supplying marijuana to minors under 21 years of age, except those with medical marijuana authorizations
Allows local communities to ban marijuana retail outlets, but only if approved by voters on an even-numbered election year ballot.

more at link ^

Origanalist
04-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Wow, in Alabama. Something tells me this might not pass.

muh_roads
04-07-2013, 04:19 PM
What do the polls say about the residents feelings toward MJ?

AGRP
04-07-2013, 04:47 PM

The fact that it was proposed there speaks volumes.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Everyone I meet while driving through Alabama is high. lol

jkr
04-07-2013, 05:08 PM
oHIo?

KrokHead
04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Hopefully it doesn't go up in smoke!

shane77m
04-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Wow. I didn't know this was coming. A while back there were a couple of medical marijuana bills but I don't believe they ever went anywhere.

AJ Antimony
04-07-2013, 07:27 PM
The fact that it was proposed there speaks volumes.

No it doesn't. Look at the third sentence. It was sponsored by a Democrat.

If it was sponsored by a Republican, or better yet a Republican leader, then we'd be talking.

If you look around at all the solid GOP states I guarantee you'll find minority Democrats in the legislatures sponsoring anything and everything to appeal to their liberal bases, and vice versa in solid Democratic states.

Keith and stuff
04-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Wow. I didn't know this was coming. A while back there were a couple of medical marijuana bills but I don't believe they ever went anywhere.

If she couldn't get that passed, obviously, this isn't likely to pass. Though, I'd still like similar bills to be proposed over and over again in state after state. No similar bill has ever passed anywhere but eventually something might.

VoluntaryAmerican
04-07-2013, 07:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Origanalist
04-07-2013, 07:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

True enough, I hope it does.