PDA

View Full Version : WND: Ron Paul Launches Home Schooling Site

sailingaway
04-07-2013, 01:08 PM
http://politix.topix.com/img/V82KAM27DJC0A31M-rszw514

Ron Paul has a new gig after retiring from Congress. The libertarian-leaning Texas Republican is getting into the home schooling business.

"I am pleased to announce my new website: www.ronpaulcurriculum.com which will feature an online home school curriculum for students K-12. Check out the video below from Tom Woods for more information and be sure to tell your family and friends!" Paul wrote on his Facebook page.

The home schooling issue is nothing new for Paul, who gained a national following with GOP presidential bids in 2008 and 2012 (he was also the 1988 Libertarian presidential nominee). In fact, during his farewell speech to Congress last November, he suggested that the homeschooling movement would play a "revolutionary" role in restoring limited government.

The homeschooling curriculum offers a different spin on subjects than they might get at their local public school. According to Paul's site:

Students learn the basics of Western Civilization and Western liberty - how it was won, how it is being lost, and how it will be restored. (Not can . . . will.)
Students also learn the basics of American history, the United States Constitution, and American geography.
They get two courses on free market economics. They get two courses on government, including a how-to course on reclaiming America, one county at a time.
Students get mathematics, either through calculus or statistics or both.
They get the basics of science: earth science, biology, chemistry, and physics.
They also learn how to start a home-based business.

By the way, people seem threatened by this. They're starting with their 'kooky' drivel in the comments. and when I say drivel, I mean, complete avoidance of any substantive issue at all.

http://politix.topix.com/homepage/5463-ron-paul-launches-home-schooling-site

Occam's Banana
04-07-2013, 01:17 PM
By the way, people seem threatened by this. They're starting with their 'kooky' drivel in the comments. and when I say drivel, I mean, complete avoidance of any substantive issue at all.

Yes. And I expect it to get worse - much worse - in direct (perhaps geometric) proportion to how successful the effort is.

In fact, I would not suprised if it is eventually used as an excuse to crack down on homeschooling in general.

That's just how dangerous this is to establishment interests. They'll be terrified if it gains any significant traction ...

William R
04-07-2013, 01:32 PM
bump

Natural Citizen
04-07-2013, 01:34 PM
By the way, people seem threatened by this.

This is just basic herd mentality on the part of those with generic opposition views. Few probably even have any clue whatsoever what junior does on a day to day basis and is frankly why I get to chuckling when everyone says that the schools should serve the parents. In an ideal situation that may be true and probably should be true. But it's not that way. Most parents just don't care. They send them off to school and that's it. On the flipside many who oppose public education are equally blind and continue to latch onto the historic narrative regarding public education. I do find that a larger number of this demograph are actually involved though. It's two sided in my view and the nuts and bolts generally get lost because the narrative trumps and turns it into yet another social issue..

Nobody in the real world of modern education would be threatened by it though. It's a mistake to think that.

For all practical purposes I can't disagree with what Ron is involved in here. My only second guess would be whether or not religious indoctrination would trump the actual teaching of the sciences just because it's sold as a basic plan which is more suitable to promote that. But that's just me.

I think that there is a place for this in scope. Of course, scope itself varies depending upon who presents the terms of controversy. I had just written a paper on the phenomenon (basically just referenced it) that I see in classrooms (technology based) that conform to teaching youth to be glorified marketing tools by showing them how to social network (in effect) and only learning to link to someones point of view, build a web page and that kind of thing. They really should be learning more involved things relevant to technology. Woods is a bit transparent here in what he wants to do but not anything new really when it comes to this faulty vision of what technology actually is.

Sola_Fide
04-07-2013, 01:37 PM
This is just basic herd mentality on the part of those with generic opposition. Few probably even have any clue whatsoever what junior does on a day to day basis. Many who oppose public education are equally blind and continue to latch onto the historic narrative regarding public education. It's two sided in my view. Nobody in the real world of modern education would be threatened by it, I don't think.

For all practical purposes I can't disagree with what Ron is involved in here. My only second guess would be whether or not religious indoctrination would trump the actual teaching of the sciences just because it's sold as a basic plan which may promote that. But that's just me.

My challenge to you (and the other atheists on the board) is to set aside for a moment that the State teaches Darwinism so ably, and instead focus on what we should all be focused on ...educational freedom.

Natural Citizen
04-07-2013, 01:57 PM
My challenge to you (and the other atheists on the board) is to set aside for a moment that the State teaches Darwinism so ably, and instead focus on what we should all be focused on ...educational freedom.

Well, S_F. Firstly...I'm not an atheist. And I do agree with eduction freedom. Don't mistake my spew for something that it isn't. I may come off the wrong way to some of you but I'm not your enemy. I believe that there is a place for everything.

Slutter McGee
04-07-2013, 02:10 PM
No going to take my argument from the other thread into this one. I would agree that education in the public schools has been dumbed down and this could be a good thing.

Slutter McGee

angelatc
04-07-2013, 02:50 PM
No going to take my argument from the other thread into this one. I would agree that education in the public schools has been dumbed down and this could be a good thing.

Slutter McGee

One of the problems I had when I looked into homeschooling was that so much of what was supported in my area was faith based. I don't have a problem with that, but we wouldn't fit in because we aren't religious.

If this had been around when my kids were young, I would have been all over it.

I think it's a great idea.

compromise
04-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Link is Politix, not WND.

emazur
04-07-2013, 05:55 PM
One of the problems I had when I looked into homeschooling was that so much of what was supported in my area was faith based. I don't have a problem with that, but we wouldn't fit in because we aren't religious.

I have concern with the way the staff is going to handle the RP Curriculum. This is the comment I posted on Tom Woods website and I intend to send an email to the address of the curriculum's website voicing similar concerns:

There's nothing necessarily wrong teaching ABOUT religions (I'm an atheist but think I would understand Americans, of which I am one, FAR better had I studied Christianity rather than the stupid "social studies" classes I had). But I'm sure you know there are certain preconceptions out there about homeschoolers and religion. I watched the Garth North intro. He said the curriculum should teach 4 things: "FIRST, it should teach the BIBLICAL principle of self-government". Tom, I don't hate Christians or anything and of course I totally agree with self-government, but I had doubts about the curriculum the moment I heard the word "Biblical". Of course not anywhere close to making me want to dismiss this new project, but if it made me, a pro-Paul/pro-Woods/pro-home school libertarian, hesitate for a moment about the quality and agenda of the program, just think about the reaction you'll get from someone who isn't closed minded about home-schooling but is skeptical. For those who don't know what Gary North video I'm talking about, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kv5R1NeXhA