PDA

View Full Version : Why we're doing even better than you think (Please Read!)

Cardinal Red
11-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Note: This is a long post, but I believe it is an important one. If you find this information useful you are encouraged to repost it wherever you wish.

While I, like every other supporter of Dr. Paul am thrilled with the campaign’s increasing prominence, I am concerned that we (and the campaign) are not getting out the message about the full and extraordinary extent of Dr. Paul’s unprecedented fundraising success—Although a few stories over the last couple of days have been encouraging. Our failure to fully communicate the incredible strength of this campaign is allowing some members of the media to continue to portray Dr. Paul as being outside the first tier of candidates in which is so obviously belongs.

Below is a list of fact-based messages that I hope the campaign and the grassroots can use to counteract those who are currently giving this campaign less recognition than it deserves. I’ll give the messages first, and explain the facts behind them subsequently.

HIGHLIGHTS

Ron Paul’s campaign is going to raise far more money online this quarter than any other Presidential candidate in the history of Presidential primaries. (Howard Dean never raised more than $8 Million online in a quarter)- Hillary Clinton raised $8 Million online in one quarter this year, but according to third-party accounts, much of that is likely offline fundraising that is merely “donated” online. In contrast, Ron Paul figures to (conservatively) raise more than $14 Million online this quarter out of a total of at least $16 million

Ron Paul’s number of donors this quarter will dwarf the number of donors to any other Republican this quarter—almost certainly more than twice the number of any other Republican

Ron Paul’s campaign may end the quarter with more total donors than any other Republican since the campaign began, despite our late start and scant media attention. We already have close to 83,000 unique donors ths quarter according to the traking site Ron Paul Graphs. The leading contenders going in to this quarter had only about 100,000 donors for the entire campaign.

While some compare our fundraising to Howard Dean’s, Ron Paul’s candidacy has much stronger momentum than Howard Dean’s did at the same time in this presidential cycle. (And Howard Dean was certainly treated by the media as a first-tier candidate) . Ron Paul will raise more money in this quarter than Dean did in his best quarter in 2004—without any of Dean’s support from establishment politicians such as Al Gore, Iowa Senator Tom Harkin and powerful unions such as AFSCME and SEIU. In contrast, Ron Paul has built his campaign to record levels without a single congressional or gubernatorial endorsement. (Our most prominent endorser is probably Barry Goldwater Jr.) This entire campaign is fueled by the power of Americans who have heard Ron Paul and are excited about his message, not people waiting for the media, unions, or politicians to tell them what to think. When the politicians wake up and begin endorsing Ron Paul, our momentum will grow even stronger.

Ron Paul has raised this money despite his having been treated far less seriously by media than any of the other major Republican candidates—no magazine covers, almost no Sunday news shows, relatively sparse television coverage, etc.

The vast majority of Ron Paul’s fundraising has all been done by volunteers--not paid political professionals or Washington insiders.

Ron Paul has built all of his momentum despite starting the campaign with almost no national name recognition and having spent only $3 Million in total expenditures through October,-- in contrast to tens of millions of dollars of expenditures from other “first tier candidates” along with tens of millions more worth of free media that these candidates have received from the mainstream media

It is entirely possible that the Ron Paul campaign will raise twice as much as any other Republican this quarter, the last before the primaries begin. Unlike our wasteful competitors, we are just beginning to spend our money now as the race gets serious and the average voter begins to pay real attention to the campaign

All of this fundraising does not include the enormous investment of volunteer time and fund, unconnected to the official campaigns from Ron Paul supporters, an amount that is far above that of any other campaign.

THE DETAILS

Ron Paul’s fundraising trajectory is nothing short of extraordinary. As of this writing, he has already raised more than $9.1 million and given current fundraising pace, he will have raised (conservatively) at least $10 Million dollars by the time of the Tea Party money bomb December 16. Again, being very conservative, let’s say that this money bomb only equals the previous money bomb and gives us another $4.3 Million. As we already have more donors signed up for this money bomb than we did for November 5th that seems to be a very conservative estimate.

Add in at least an additional $1 million in offline contributions to be tallied (we had slightly more than $1 million raised offline in the first half of the quarter.) Then add in (again extremely conservatively) another $1 million for the last 15 days after the Tea Party. This gives us a total of $16.3 million for the quarter, which (again to be conservative) we will round down to $16 million.. I consider this the likely floor for the campaign’s fundraising this quarter. Anything less than $16 million would count as both a huge disappointment and surprise to anyone associated with this campaign. Frankly, a number in the $17-20 million range is probably more likely.

How strong of a performance is it to raise $16 Million?

Well for one thing, it is almost certainly far more than any other of the so-called “top-tier” Republicans will raise this quarter. How do I know this is true?

According to Official Federal Election Commission (FEC) reports and campaign disclosures released at the end of the third quarter (Sept 30) the other major Republican campaigns raised dollars that could be used for the primary in the following amounts:

Giuliani raised $10.5 million
Romney raised $9.5 million
Thompson raised $9.3 million*
McCain raised $5.7 million*

Note, The Thompson and McCain funds are for primary and general—I was not able to find primary only dollars for them, but I belive McCain raised less than $5 million that could be spent in the primary and Thompson very likely raised less than $9 million.

For each of these candidates, third quarter fundraising was down substantially from the previous quarter, indicating negative momentum.

Romney: Fundraising down 29%
Guilliani: Fundraising down 40%
McCain: Fundraising down 55%

Thompson did not enter the campaign until the third quarter and so no accurate comparisons can be made, but after at first being hailed as the “Republican savior” his momentum has cratered and his standing in the polls has plummeted—making it very unlikely that his fundraising performance has improved this quarter.

In contrast, Ron Paul’s fundraising rose 114% in the third quarter and seems certain to rise more than 200% in the fourth quarter.

Now looking at the other candidates, All with negative fundraising momentum, how can we estimate their chances of increasing their fundraising in Q4—. The best comparison is to look at the Democratic challengers to President Bush from 2004. Of these major Democratic challengers (those raising more than $1 Million in both the third and fourth quarters of 2003) only Wesley Clark (who only entered the race in late q3) had a large increase in in Q4 fundraising. Every other candidate was down significantly, save Howard Dean, who, benefitting from endorsements from Al Gore, major unions and numerous other political figures, as well as media anointing as the frontrunner, managed to raise his fundraising a modest 6%. Every other candidate’s fundraising fell at least 15%

Candidate Total Q3 Total Q4 Increase Q3-q4

Clark $3,484,109 $10,177,447 192%
Dean $14,762,373 $15,650,903 6%
Edwards $2,071,961 $1,745,640 -16%
Gephardt $3,773,580 $2,837,228 -25%
Kerry $3,873,040 $2,248,683 -42%
Kucinich $1,647,883 $1,354,364 -18%
Lieberman $3,530,345 $2,088,939 -41%

Compared to the 2004 Democratic candidates, not only was momentum among major Republican candidates negative, unlike most of these Democratic candidates, their fundraising dollars were overwhelmingly top-heavy as can be seen from the chart below, which compares the amount of money raised from small donors (less than $200 vs. the amount raised from large donors >$2000, most of whom have given the maximum $2300 donation and will not be able to contribute again until the general election.

%of dollars from <$200 Donors

Paul 50
Giuliani 8
McCain 22
Thompson 33
Romney 14

% of dollars from >$2000 Donors

Paul 17
Giuliani 69
McCain 52
Thompson 40
Romney 62

In contrast, Ron Paul dominates the field in grassroots small-dollar donors, the type that will be able to donate again and again. Given the fact a huge majority of the other candidates dollars are from maxed out donors, it seems overwhelmingly unlikely that they will be able to reverse their declining fundraising unless they can magically find new big-dollar donors, and frankly, it is overwhelmingly likely that they will decrease, perhaps significantly. In summary, I would not be at all surprised to see Ron Paul raise twice as much as any other Republican candidate this quarter.

Overall we have nothing but great news. We just need to make sure we are getting it out and making it known. That goes especially for the official campaign, but also for us in the grassroots.

A final note—as many of these statements necessarily involve projections, though very conservative projections (i.e. I would be willing to bet a lot of my own money that we will raise more than $16 million this quarter -- any takers from the other campaigns?) they cannot be fully proven until the end of the quarter. Nonetheless, we should begin talking about them NOW—by the time the quarter end rolls around, the focus will be entirely on the polls and early primaries. We need to make sure the media acknowledges our fundraising dominance and first-tier status today

If other candidates want to refute our facts let them release their own fundraising and donors numbers for the quarter. Even if (and this is highly doubtful) they are doing much better than logic and history suggest they will be, their numbers will almost certainly not better than ours. And, in the unlikely event that Romney, Giuliani and the rest want to compete to show that they are “competitive” with our campaign such comparisons will only indicate our strength and work to our benefit.

BOTTOM LINE

We have a national, mainstream campaign, by far the most energized volunteer base, and all of the momentum—our opponents are grasping at the same failed ideas and going back to the same few wealthy donors who haven’t yet clued in that the old strategies will only lead to a Republican defeat in 2008. We are the only Republican campaign with a grassroots base and the enthusiasm, message and candidate to win in the general election. Now, all we need to do is make sure the media hears about it.

-- Cardinal Red

torchbearer
11-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Can you really trust the validity of the data provided?

apc3161
11-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Nice article, I agree with everything you said pretty much. Hopefully things will keep going well.

RPinSEAZ
11-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Wall of text crits you for 12000 hp.

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 06:28 PM
wow... that really put it in perespective

Anti Federalist
11-24-2007, 06:29 PM

Paul 50
Giuliani 8
McCain 22
Thompson 33
Romney 14

Paul 17
Giuliani 69
McCain 52
Thompson 40
Romney 62

Now that's a nice statistic.

This is validated how?

hillertexas
11-24-2007, 06:31 PM
bump

Ethek
11-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Wall of text crits you for 12000 hp.

Good read but this made me laugh.

fedup100
11-24-2007, 06:37 PM
All sounds great but the MSM will never give him credibility.

Every meet up group across the land needs to plan to work all the grocery stores in every city for the month of December. If that could be done, we wont need the media. Now all we would need is an honest election process.

I suggest a granny shotgun in the arms of those who watch the counts!!:D

Cardinal Red
11-24-2007, 06:38 PM
The data is 100% legit--. You can source everything yourself at the FEC web site www.fec.gov-- Any information I didn't get from there came from our opponents campaigns themselves or from articles in reputable, non-partisan magazines and newspapers. Don't get me wrong, we've got a lot of work to do-- The polls are understating our support, but not by as much as some on this forum would like to believe. And we need to build bridges to the Republican mainstream so that we can pick off enough undecided voters to win. Nonetheless, it is clear we have the resources and the momentum-- now we just need to translate that into votes.

davidkachel
11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Well done. Inspiring. They're out of bullets and we haven't even opened ammo box number two of one hundred!!!

Perry
11-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Nice post Cardinal Red thank you. I am curious where you found your statistics. I've been looking for a source and would like to have access to data by quarter including this year and previous elections.
Also I have noted that our trajectory as far as polls & fundraising go is absolutely phenomenal.
We have been on an upward trend that most would say is unsustainable yet it keeps sloping upwards. The amazing thing about a Paul convert is that once they are converted very rarely do they continue to sit at home on their duff. Instead they become a part of the highly motivated collective.
In short, this is history in the making.

foofighter20x
11-24-2007, 06:54 PM

This is validated how?

Just looking at the amounts here (http://www.fec.gov/DisclosureSearch/mapApp.do?drillLevel=US&stateName=&cand_id=P80000748&searchType=&searchSQLType=&searchKeyword=) kind of ballparks it... But the exact number--I dunno where he got his exact figures.

azminuteman
11-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Another point to raise is how many voters will vote in the primaries?
I've never voted in a primary before and this will be my first.

How many people registered to vote because of Ron Paul and will vote that way?

inibo
11-24-2007, 07:18 PM

This is validated how?

I just checked them against q3 numbers at OpenSecrets
(http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/donordems.asp)

OP OS Q3
Paul 50 49%
Giuliani 8 12%
McCain 22 22%
Thompson 33 34%
Romney 14 14%

OP OS Q3*
Paul 17 17%
Giuliani 69 60%
McCain 52 47%
Thompson 40 38%
Romney 62 49%

* OpenSecrets actually counts >$2,300

The don't jive exactly, but I'd say they are close enough for a cigar.
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:VCoqqBWXPKlWvM:http://www.cubatravelexperts.com/Cigar_Lady.jpg

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 07:20 PM
that'son hell of a cigar...

Corydoras
11-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Cardinal Red, for the single most enthralling post I've ever read on these forums.

I hope you provide lots more number-crunching like this to the campaign.

Corydoras
11-24-2007, 09:19 PM
///

weatherbill
11-24-2007, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmA2u2pVCA&feature=related

excellent video on the "polls" and nice explanation of why they are screwed up and we are going to win this !!!

James R
11-24-2007, 09:32 PM
I think those numbers are probably correct coming from the FEC, and traditionally Q4 is slower. So that means I would think 20% less for the rest, and a lot more for Paul. If Paul raised 50k per day for the rest of the year + 6 million on December 16th, that translates to:

Ron Paul $17 million
Giuliani $8.4 million
Romney $7.6 million
Thompson $7.4 million
McCain $4.7 million

When the FEC reports the numbers next year it will likely be absolutely huge news.

Ethek
11-24-2007, 09:37 PM
I think those numbers are probably correct coming from the FEC, and traditionally Q4 is slower. So that means I would think 20% less for the rest, and a lot more for Paul. If Paul raised 50k per day for the rest of the year + 6 million on December 16th, that translates to:

Ron Paul $17 million
Giuliani $8.4 million
Romney $7.6 million
Thompson $7.4 million
McCain $4.7 million

When the FEC reports the numbers next year it will likely be absolutely huge news.

What date does the Q4 reporting usually come out?

TechnoGuyRob
11-24-2007, 09:44 PM

January 15th.

terlinguatx
11-24-2007, 10:16 PM

foofighter20x
11-24-2007, 10:21 PM
bump for the late late crowd...

Benaiah
11-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm curious to see how the media is going to handle Ron Paul during the next two months. The Nov 5th money bomb only got us 4 or 5 days of good media. We'll see if December 16th, Q4 numbers released, and a win in NH gets more than 5 days of play from those objective journalists.

austin356
11-24-2007, 11:16 PM

Not in time for a NH or IA boost, but maybe a boost for SC and NV.

Duckman
11-24-2007, 11:26 PM

I think Q4 numbers will seal the deal for both! SC has had such a jump lately I am feeling REALLY good about it!

Ron Paul Fan
11-24-2007, 11:31 PM

It could be out a couple days before NH. In past quarters, the numbers have been out a few days after the end of the quarter. We could be in line for a big media blitz in the days leading up to NH which is good! Ron Paul may very well lead all Republican candidates in fundraising this quarter so that news getting out would be huge!

Freedom
11-25-2007, 12:12 AM
The official campaign should jump through hoops to get the report filed Jan 2nd so that it can have the maximum impact on voters in IA and NH. Ballpark the numbers if necessary; there is always time to update the report later as figures solidify. The important thing is to get the report filed ASAP after the quarter closes!

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 12:15 AM
If we hit 12 mil goal, seeing how things are going we'll have the early states in the bag, and the all the teaparty money will win us super tuesday

Man from La Mancha
11-25-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm curious to see how the media is going to handle Ron Paul during the next two months. The Nov 5th money bomb only got us 4 or 5 days of good media. We'll see if December 16th, Q4 numbers released, and a win in NH gets more than 5 days of play from those objective journalists.Combine the money and the blimp, it should be awesome especially when Ron raises far in the excess of 30 million. Don't forget the 5 or so business newsletter Guru's that urged support for Ron and those people are private, they won't sign anything they don't have to. Wait and see.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)...copy, paste

purepaloma
11-25-2007, 12:25 AM
We need a lot more than just money. We need to get the name out there and get voters ASAP !

We are behind in the polls for a few reasons.......but mainly that most don't know about RP and most don't realize he's top tier.

We need to change that by the end of the year, about 37 days from now !

RP4Life
11-25-2007, 12:30 AM
The data is 100% legit--. You can source everything yourself at the FEC web site www.fec.gov-- Any information I didn't get from there came from our opponents campaigns themselves or from articles in reputable, non-partisan magazines and newspapers. Don't get me wrong, we've got a lot of work to do-- The polls are understating our support, but not by as much as some on this forum would like to believe. And we need to build bridges to the Republican mainstream so that we can pick off enough undecided voters to win. Nonetheless, it is clear we have the resources and the momentum-- now we just need to translate that into votes.

Fundraising is nothing in the face of the hostile, controlled media.

[ Admin - removed religious based attack that has no supporting arguments ] Because Ron Paul threatens control of the money supply. Yeah, they control that too.

Abandon hope, all ye who believe otherwise. Or, just abandon hope anyway. The media elects the president and has for as long as it has been the prominent source of information for the unwashed, unlearned masses.

CMoore
11-25-2007, 12:37 AM
I know what!!! Let's alienate any Jewish support for Dr. Paul by insulting them with tired old stereotypes!!!

mavtek
11-25-2007, 12:45 AM
My only issue is that I'm afraid 4th quarter numbers won't be reported until after Iowa, so none of the money raised makes any difference.

Cardinal Red
11-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Fundraising is nothing in the face of the hostile, controlled media.

It's controlled by the Jews. They're hostiles. Because Ron Paul threatens control of the money supply. Yeah, they control that too.

Abandon hope, all ye who believe otherwise. Or, just abandon hope anyway. The media elects the president and has for as long as it has been the prominent source of information for the unwashed, unlearned masses.

Hey, RP4Life-- I'm Jewish, and I am the one who started this thread-- so as politely as possible, I'm going to ask you to not waste the rest of our time with Anti-Semitic trash-- or at least don't hijack MY thread to do it.

I have lots of opinions about lots of subjects -- but if they don't have to do with suppporting official positions of the Ron Paul campaign, I don't talk about them here. I'm here to play whatever role I can in helping to get Ron Paul elected President of the United States. What are you here to do?

inibo
11-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Hey, RP4Life-- I'm Jewish, and I am the one who started this thread-- so as politely as possible, I'm going to ask you to not waste the rest of our time with Anti-Semitic trash-- or at least don't hijack MY thread to do it.

I have lots of opinions about lots of subjects -- but if they don't have to do with suppporting official positions of the Ron Paul campaign, I don't talk about them here. I'm here to play whatever role I can in helping to get Ron Paul elected President of the United States. What are you here to do?

Cardinal Red, I see that your post count is low and you've only been here a little while. We do have a troll problem. When you see that sort of stuff click on the http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/buttons/report.gif and let the moderators know about it.

BTW, welcome aboard, you are very welcome here.

troyd1
11-25-2007, 08:22 AM
If we hit 12 mil goal, seeing how things are going we'll have the early states in the bag, and the all the teaparty money will win us super tuesday

My thougts exactly. We need a good boost on the 30th for the early states and then the tea party money will be for super Tuesday. I am wondering if the campaign(or us with chipins) should be doing more national advertising. The usatoday ad reached many. I think a drudge report and other banner ads would also reach millions. This will increase over all interest which in turn creates more supporters and donors. As stated many times, I have not ever met a former Ron Paul Supporter. The cost of these ads are small and reach a wide variety of people. If you can get even one person interested and supporting Ron Paul in areas where he does not have support or is unknown, it will grow exponetially. I still believe the person to person campaigning is essential, but especially in rural areas, this is hard. Any Comments?

Man from La Mancha
11-25-2007, 08:31 AM
My only issue is that I'm afraid 4th quarter numbers won't be reported until after Iowa, so none of the money raised makes any difference.
It will make a big difference to how much Ron has to spend.:)

walt
11-25-2007, 09:05 AM
[B] by far the most energized volunteer base,
-- Cardinal Red

for the things that matter in the end, like precinct captains, register to vote and get out the vote, I couldn't disagree more.