PDA

View Full Version : The Tom Woods designed "Ron Paul Homeschool Curriculum"

Anti Federalist
04-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Announcing the Ron Paul Homeschool Curriculum

http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/announcing-the-ron-paul-homeschool-curriculum/

Over the past several weeks I have mentioned that I’ve been at work on a K-12 homeschool curriculum. That wasn’t the whole story. Today I can tell you the whole story: it is the Ron Paul Homeschool Curriculum.

There is nothing like this curriculum anywhere. Here are just a few of the factors that set it apart.

(1) Grades K-5 will be available for free. You have six years to try out the program without having to spend a dime.

(2) Students will learn the origins and travails of liberty in the Western world and in the United States in particular.

(3) Students will learn the economics of the Austrian School.

(4) Students can learn at their own pace. If they’re advanced and move more quickly, they can quiz out of the first two years of college and enter college as juniors.

(5) The emphasis in this program is not simply on teaching from a different point of view, or teaching material that no other school or curriculum offers, although the Ron Paul Curriculum does both of these things. But it also emphasizes oral and written communication, so that students will be able to spread and defend their ideas effectively. Students will have their own blogs, start YouTube channels, and even learn the basics of video production, website design, and Internet marketing.

(6) It’s cheap. For access to the forums, it’s $250 per year, per family. (If you have ten children, it’s still just $250 for you.) Each course is just $50. No textbooks — they’re awful, and we use pdfs and primary documents to teach students — so you’ll save hundreds of dollars that way as well.

(7) Parents who wish they’d had the chance for this kind of education can listen to the lectures their children are hearing. We’ve made them of a length that works well with the average commute.

By September 2, we expect to have the material for grades 6-10 available. We’ll continue to add grades until December 2015 — our target date — when we expect to have the entire K-12 curriculum finished.

My own role will be to teach high school courses in Western civilization, the U.S. Constitution, government, and the history of American wars. All the courses on the site are available as part of the overall curriculum or a la carte, for those who would like individual courses.

These courses are centered around a 36-week schedule, five lessons (25 minutes each) per week per course. This means that for each course I will need to record 180 lessons. If you are wondering why I have not found the time to answer your email lately, I hope you will understand now. I have dropped not quite everything, but quite a bit in order to focus on this.

FSP-Rebel
04-06-2013, 03:46 PM
somebody steers clear of grassroots central

MRK
04-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Hmm, I suppose this is why there are no introductory programming/computer science courses. IMO this is the biggest hole by far in the course. And no, the 'website design' and 'starting a blog' isn't on the same level, though admirable.

Nowadays you have a variety of high level (re: easy) languages to choose from that are useful and very effective, like Python, or dare I mention Scratch, that a 3rd grader could learn and utilize on any environment (there are even browser-based REPLs for many languages now).

amy31416
04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Hmm, I suppose this is why there are no introductory programming/computer science courses. IMO this is the biggest hole by far in the course. And no, the 'website design' and 'starting a blog' isn't on the same level, though admirable.

Nowadays you have a variety of high level (re: easy) languages to choose from that are useful and very effective, like Python, or dare I mention Scratch, that a 3rd grader could learn and utilize on any environment (there are even browser-based REPLs for many languages now).

Volunteer to write a curriculum/teach the course. Could turn into a paying gig for you. No reason it can't be supplemented, is there?

sailingaway
04-06-2013, 03:56 PM

I agree. We should get resumes of web and internet movie people to Ron. Mises is not exciting on that front, and Ron could hire the best. (At least I saw some of the best here over the campaign... Chris and Corey, Chainspell, the web designers and design guys....)

emazur
04-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Volunteer to write a curriculum/teach the course. Could turn into a paying gig for you. No reason it can't be supplemented, is there?

I know Woods said "no textbooks" in his pitch, but IMO written material is 100% vital to learning programming and far preferable to audio/visual material. There already are good texts that teach "real" languages - this website offers books suitable for youths and books suitable for adults and I thought looked really good (haven't looked at the youth books though):
http://www.kidwaresoftware.com/index.htm
Front page is very youth oriented - here's an example of something more mature oriented:
http://www.kidwaresoftware.com/lrnvb2005.htm

MRK
04-06-2013, 04:26 PM
I certainly can't blame someone for not including a certain topic if they don't think they could responsibly oversee another person to manage the curriculum for it the right way. But I see biology and physics among other topics listed there, as well as a mention of web design, so I think there's more than one expert helping out with this curriculum here. I would offer to get involved but I have too many projects going on as it is, and I'm sure there's someone more qualified than I who would be willing to help. ;)

RonPaulMall
04-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I know Woods said "no textbooks" in his pitch, but IMO written material is 100% vital to learning programming and far preferable to audio/visual material.

The press release says no "textbooks", not "no written material". He specifically cites primary sources and pdf files as being part of the program. So i think it is just more the way a college class would be in terms of reading actual novels and actual histories rather than reading textbooks about actual novels or actual histories, which is as it should be.

Anti Federalist
04-06-2013, 04:59 PM
somebody steers clear of grassroots central

Search fail...I know already.

Ender
04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I was "unschooled".

This is a form of homeschooling that stays completely away from the aspects of regular school and allows a child to pursue what they are interested in. For me it was animals and dinosaurs- I became a para-paleontologist at the ripe old age of 11.

Graduated from high school at 16- have 3 masters in English, Theater, and History; BA in Music.

I am sure that Woods and RP mean well but children need to be allowed to pursue what they love; they need to learn to do one thing well. By learning one thing well, they can then begin to access the whole brain and become whole thinkers.

Nothing helps do this faster than the Arts, BTW. The number 1 Major accepted to Medical School is the Music Major.