PDA

View Full Version : Update: Now 12 GOP senators back Rand Paul on gun-control filibuster

CaseyJones
04-06-2013, 08:16 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/rand-paul-gun-control-filibuster-89694.html?hp=f1

In addition to Paul, Lee, Cruz, Rubio and Moran, the Republican who have signed the second letter are Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, Richard Burr of North Carolina, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Mike Enzi of Wyoming, Jim Risch and Mike Crapo of Idaho, Dan Coats of Indiana and Pat Roberts of Kansas.

“We will oppose the motion to proceed on any legislation that will serve as a vehicle for any additional gun restrictions,” they write.

more at link ^

Brett85
04-06-2013, 08:18 AM
I read that Toomey was joining the dark side and trying to come up with a "compromise" for universal background checks. Very disappointing.

supermario21
04-06-2013, 08:23 AM
I read that Toomey was joining the dark side and trying to come up with a "compromise" for universal background checks. Very disappointing.

He must be starting to fear his political future. If Santorum could have won PA in 2000 by being a fascist, you'd think Toomey could win in 2016 by being a true conservative.

kathy88
04-06-2013, 08:23 AM

He has been good on some stuff but overall nothing special. But unfortunately he's what PA is stuck with for now. Casey Jr. Is way worse.

wormyguy
04-06-2013, 08:24 AM
That Coats has joined is encouraging; he's been rather wobbly at best on gun rights in the past (enough that the NRA endorsed his Democratic opponent in 2010).

itshappening
04-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Contact your senators!

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

+spread the article on facebook, dailypaul etc.

compromise
04-06-2013, 10:56 AM

He hasn't said anything yet. Manchin says he's talked to him though, but we still don't know the results of these discussions. They tried it with Coburn too, but negotiations fell apart.

MRK
04-06-2013, 11:20 AM
That Coats has joined is encouraging; he's been rather wobbly at best on gun rights in the past (enough that the NRA endorsed his Democratic opponent in 2010).

The sad thing is this is going to help him get reelected.

Forgive the Hoosiers... federally they do not know what they do.

supermario21
04-06-2013, 11:35 AM
The sad thing is this is going to help him get reelected.

Forgive the Hoosiers... federally they do not know what they do.

Maybe with Joe Donnelly coming out for gay marriage the other day it can give us another chance to put a real conservative in the other seat in 2018.

T.hill
04-06-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm guessing Coburn, Flake, and Scott will most likely also join the filibuster at some point.

AJ Antimony
04-06-2013, 01:01 PM
He must be starting to fear his political future. If Santorum could have won PA in 2000 by being a fascist, you'd think Toomey could win in 2016 by being a true conservative.

While it's irritating and annoying when members--in this case Toomey--try to come across as moderates eager to compromise, I won't pass judgement until they actually vote on something. They can put on their show as long as they ultimately vote the right way.

Brett85
04-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm guessing Coburn, Flake, and Scott will most likely also join the filibuster at some point.

No, Coburn is no longer pro 2nd amendment. He's still working to get a "univeral background check bill" introduced. The only difference is his bill supposedly won't include a national database with a list of gun owners. But he's still on the wrong side of this issue. He doesn't understand either the 2nd amendment or the 10th amendment.

compromise
04-08-2013, 02:44 AM

Scott's very strong on the 2nd amendment. Flake has been a bit squishy since he entered the Senate, but he does oppose this legislation so he would also be likely to join. Moran probably will also join, he's always been good on gun rights. Maybe even McConnell and Cornyn, if they want to help their re-election campaigns.

anaconda
04-08-2013, 02:58 AM
Contact your senators!

Feinstein & Boxer?

WhistlinDave
04-08-2013, 03:08 AM
Feinstein & Boxer?

I actually did contact them on this and several other issues. (Industrial hemp was the most recent one.) I get e-mails back from Feinstein, but all they contain is a bunch of fucking moronic bullshit.

MikeStanart
04-08-2013, 06:26 AM
It appears someone is trying to capitalize on Rand........look how he put Rand towards the BACK of the bus.

http://i46.tinypic.com/nx145w.jpg

FriedChicken
04-08-2013, 07:55 AM
It appears someone is trying to capitalize on Rand........look how he put Rand towards the BACK of the bus.

THAT is hilarious.

supermario21
04-08-2013, 08:53 AM
LMAO, at least Rubio is to the back as well.

compromise
04-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Rubio's also at the back and he's Rand's main competitor, so it's not so bad.

FSP-Rebel
04-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Nice to see the wolf pack continuing to grow, it'll only strengthen Rand's profile as a constitutional conservative leader.

supermario21
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't think anything is going to change. Just saw Sen. Blumenthal (DSSR-CT) talking about how record keeping MUST be part of any deal.

anaconda
04-08-2013, 02:54 PM
THAT is hilarious.

^This.