PDA

View Full Version : The Scientologist Vote

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Hey,

Do we have any scientologist in our folds, we are a big tent campaign and it's one of the few groups I can think of that hasn't vocally given us support. I don't know much about scientology, but I'm sure they can find something to makea Ron Paul endorsement worth it.

Korey Kaczynski
11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey,

Do we have any scientologist in our folds, we are a big tent campaign and it's one of the few groups I can think of that hasn't vocally given us support. I don't know much about scientology, but I'm sure they can find something to makea Ron Paul endorsement worth it.

Scientology support would be bad.

cien750hp
11-24-2007, 05:40 PM

not true. who could ignore the enthusiasm of tom cruise jumping on oprahs couch screaming "I LOVE RON PAUL!!! I LOVE RON PAUL!!!!" :rolleyes:

Ron LOL
11-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I'm not digging the idea of courting the scientologists.

noztnac
11-24-2007, 05:42 PM
No.

We do not want the "scientologist" vote.

Oprah...Tom Cruise... Neither is good for a campaign that's trying to win.

Most people dislike celebrities.

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 05:42 PM
I was just wondering if there was any word on where they were leaning

Alawn
11-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I heard back stage at the Tonight Show Tom Cruise (he is a Scientologist) thanked Ron Paul for fighting a bill to force psychiatric testing of elementary school kids. Scientologists are super against that sort of thing. That is probably the best way to get them involved.

Corydoras
11-24-2007, 05:50 PM
See post 18 and below in this thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=31551

RPinSEAZ
11-24-2007, 05:52 PM

I'm sure the church is leaning towards whatever direction allows them to continue to scam people while they get the government seal of approval with their tax free status.

Now, scientology members themselves, I don't really know.

eddie83
11-24-2007, 05:55 PM
I doubt they would endorse anyone. However, there may be individuals that share some of Dr. Paul's views on ADD drugs etc., also abortion. Endorsement, strongly doubt it, but I'm pretty sure that the ones that vote will most likely go with Paul.

apc3161
11-24-2007, 05:56 PM
No.

We do not want the "scientologist" vote.

Oprah...Tom Cruise... Neither is good for a campaign that's trying to win.

Most people dislike celebrities.

Most normal people dislike celebrities, but most Americans love them.

garrettwombat
11-24-2007, 05:56 PM
a vote is a vote and every american has the right to vote for whoever they want..

who cares if it looks bad... thats just stupid.

OptionsTrader
11-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Votes are votes. Support is support.

We need votes and support from all individuals, it doesn't matter what color, sexual preference, or religion. The Ron Paul tent is big enough for them all, let's not isolate any "groups". Groups are an illusion.

Ron LOL
11-24-2007, 05:58 PM
When I was canvassing yesterday, I talked briefly with a dude who said he was firmly dedicated to RP on account of the mental screening thing...weirded me out a little because I thought maybe he was a scientologist.

But, um, good for us?

SeanEdwards
11-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Let's not forget getting the NAMBLA endorsement.

:rolleyes:

Naraku
11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
An endorsement from Tom Cruise would actually get quite a bit of coverage, especially if they campaigned with him.

john_anderson_ii
11-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I knew this would come up sooner or later. Whether we want it or not, I'm sure we have a lot of Scientologist support. Especially since Dr. Paul is the only one talking about forced mental health screening and prescription drugs for school chrildren. I for one welcome them, the 1st Amendment does not discriminate against the contents of one's religion, period. This campaign is about living the Constitution, not talking about living it. Sure the pundits and talking heads would sensationalize, but would activist voters really care? I don't think so, it's just another block of votes.

I'm sure Scientologist supporters know how sensationalized something like this can become, so they have chosen to keep it on the down low. Too bad we didn't think that far ahead.

Saying we don't want someone's vote because of their religious belief is absolutely absurd! We want as many votes and as a many donors as we can get and I don't really care if they practice voodoo in their private life.

0zzy
11-24-2007, 06:05 PM
head scientologist are criminals and should be put in jail

kotetu
11-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Corydoras: good link and read, just as you said, from 18 on http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=31551

I think a great many people of all religious faiths, including Scientology, will find Ron Paul appealing. He stands for Freedom, and as we all know well, the President and the Congress are working quite hard to strip away all of our freedoms.

brandon
11-24-2007, 06:11 PM

Good point, this deserves it's own thread :)

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 06:14 PM

We were endorsed by the North American Marlon Brando Look Alikes?

eddie83
11-24-2007, 06:15 PM
They have a few celebreties, wonder if any of them will endorse RP(Please not Cruise). I noticed Greta Van Susteren and Jason Lee. go figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scientologists

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 06:16 PM
a Jason Lee Endorsement would win New Jersey

bbachtung
11-24-2007, 06:19 PM
The Scientologists also HATE the IRS after having battled them for years in attempting to be recognized as a "church." Yes, I know, the government is deciding what constitutes a church for tax purposes (1st Amendment be damned).

Regardless of how you feel about anyone's religion there is someone else out there who feels the same way about your own religious beliefs; I don't care if a person worships the Sun and only eats beets, so long as they don't try to prevent me from living the way that I want to live (so long as I am not harming anyone).

mrd
11-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Wow. Look guys, you need to embrace everyone that shows support for Ron Paul. We are all Americans, and we are in this boat together.

The people in this thread attacking or disparaging others are either subversive agents planted to disrupt our grassroots unity, or are in need of seriously reevaluating what they choose to express here.

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 06:35 PM
does Morton downey Jr. have a kid we can get to endorse us just to spite everyone who was in the audience that day when RP was on, especially the chubby kid.

OptionsTrader
11-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Wow. Look guys, you need to embrace everyone that shows support for Ron Paul. We are all Americans, and we are in this boat together.

The people in this thread attacking or disparaging others are either subversive agents planted to disrupt our grassroots unity, or are in need of seriously reevaluating what they choose to express here.

+1

kotetu
11-24-2007, 06:48 PM

+2

remember this above all! We need to embrace everyone who is a supporter, and treat everyone who is not with respect and kindness, because if we do, then sooner or later (we hope sooner!) they will become a supporter!

Revolution9
11-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Kinda MK-ULRA-ish. Come on.. This religion was concocted by magicians of The Golden Dawn.. as a joke/bet...to show how gullible some of us are.

Randy

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 06:49 PM
+(9/3)

TheConstitutionLives
11-24-2007, 06:52 PM

No support is bad in a campaign like Dr. Paul's where EVERYONE is welcome.

OptionsTrader
11-24-2007, 06:52 PM
+ 0 1 0 0

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 07:00 PM
+ the absolute value of -1,000,000

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
11-24-2007, 07:04 PM
I personally think Scientologists are brainwashed cult-members and it is not really a religion but a business disguised as one for tax reasons.
If Paul were to accept donations from them, it would be a special interest group.
An intergalactic-war-believing special interest group.

Tina
11-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I personally think Scientologists are brainwashed cult-members and it is not really a religion but a business disguised as one for tax reasons.
If Paul were to accept donations from them, it would be a special interest group.

That applies to most religions as well :rolleyes:

RPinSEAZ
11-24-2007, 07:10 PM

Haha, this made me laugh.

I warmly welcome scientology believers, but frankly I'm glad that the church can't endorse candidates.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
11-24-2007, 07:47 PM
That applies to most religions as well :rolleyes:

Yes, but Scientology requires a $10,000 payment to "advance" to the next level of "enlightenment".

But I'm sure a lot of Scientologists are pro-Paul, especially if it's discovered that he's an alien hybrid from the Pleaides.

NewEnd
11-24-2007, 07:50 PM

I thnk scientologists are brilliant, and recognize the benefits of being in a tax exempt organization.

I also think the $10,000 next-tier-of-enlightenment thing is an inside joke to them. I knwo they can pay it, but I seriously doubt those who do are interested in finding out more about the aliens that first colonized earth.

inibo
11-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Kinda MK-ULRA-ish. Come on.. This religion was concocted by magicians of The Golden Dawn.. as a joke/bet...to show how gullible some of us are.

Randy

Actually, no. L. Ron Hubbard was briefly associated with the Agape Lodge of the O.T.O. long enough to run his first scam and steal his first boat, but he was never in the Golden Dawn. The Golden Dawn was pretty much defunct by 1903 and Hubbard wasn't even born till 1911.

There are sincere people in all religions, whatever you or I make think of their doctrine or leadership. If workaday Scientologists or members of any other religious groups want to support Ron Paul I say welcome aboard.

inibo
11-24-2007, 07:59 PM
+(9/3)

Is that just a coincidence or should I see your 93 and raise you 777?

Duckman
11-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, we cannot ostracize Scientologists.

For the record, I am not a Scientologist, and I do not have favorable views of their cult, or religion. But, I believe 100% that people who follow Scientology have a right to believe in Scientology. I don't think it's possible for you, as an objective viewer, to define what is meant by "brainwashed" because that could mean anything, including teaching a religion to your children.

I happen to know also that certain members of the Clearwater, FL meetup group are Scientologists, because in that town Scientology is actually a religion with a very sizable following, and the hosted the recent Ron Paul Freedom Rally (www.ronpaulfreedomrally.com) which I think was a GREAT event to get Florida Ron Paul supporters pumped up in advance of our early primary!!!

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
11-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I thnk scientologists are brilliant, and recognize the benefits of being in a tax exempt organization.

I also think the $10,000 next-tier-of-enlightenment thing is an inside joke to them. I knwo they can pay it, but I seriously doubt those who do are interested in finding out more about the aliens that first colonized earth.

America is the only country that recognizes Scientology as a religion.
And I guess they are brilliant, in a deceptive unethical way.
Too many whistleblowers have come forward in the last 20 years for people to take them seriously.

I'm sure there are plenty of honest people who are scientoloigists. They're the ones getting scammed lol.

BRB, gotta mine gold for my ET overlords.

LibertyEagle
11-24-2007, 09:35 PM
They can of course vote for whom they choose, but I sure don't think we should court them. Very bad PR.

NewEnd
11-24-2007, 09:36 PM
America is the only country that recognizes Scientology as a religion.
And I guess they are brilliant, in a deceptive unethical way.
Too many whistleblowers have come forward in the last 20 years for people to take them seriously.

I'm sure there are plenty of honest people who are scientoloigists. They're the ones getting scammed lol.

BRB, gotta mine gold for my ET overlords.

To me, the whole idea of tax exampt organizations is kind of a crock... especially with some of the paychecks alot of people are getting fromthese orgs... like the United Way.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
11-24-2007, 09:44 PM
To me, the whole idea of tax exampt organizations is kind of a crock... especially with some of the paychecks alot of people are getting fromthese orgs... like the United Way.

Gotta put on a show. You can't be blatantly evil, you know. It doesn't take too much to fool the unperceptive individual with glitz and glamour and animal balloons and confetti.

hocaltar
11-24-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm sure the church is leaning towards whatever direction allows them to continue to scam people while they get the government seal of approval with their tax free status.

Now, scientology members themselves, I don't really know.

You clearly don't understand, the mothership is coming... Now where did I put my kool-aid

DRV45N05
11-24-2007, 10:02 PM
I sure hope this Scientologist is backing Ron:

Admin note: NSFW
http://goingapecostume.com/blog/Catherine_bell450.jpg

SMOKIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RPinSEAZ
11-24-2007, 10:32 PM
You clearly don't understand, the mothership is coming... Now where did I put my kool-aid

They're not coming for me. My reactive mind is already "clear".

Give me liberty
11-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Do you guys even know what kind of bad things the Scientology does to kids?
sheez i sure do.

So i think a Scientology Support for ron paul would be a very very bad idea.

V-rod
11-24-2007, 10:54 PM
We have had a good number Scientologists and ex-Scientologists put in time and money in the campaign. Directly courting Scientology front groups is a bad idea but the freedom message is all encompassing.

Give me liberty
11-24-2007, 11:26 PM
We have had a good number Scientologists and ex-Scientologists put in time and money in the campaign. Directly courting Scientology front groups is a bad idea but the freedom message is all encompassing.

isnt forcing some kids into work a crime?
the support from Scientology for ron paul isnt a good thing.

I dont mind other support from other groups, but the Scientology thing is something beyond freedom.

AlexMerced
11-24-2007, 11:50 PM
beyond freedom... like super freedom?

rfbz
11-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Sorry, but if the church of Scientology did support Ron Paul, I'd rather it not be vocal

inibo
11-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Sorry, but if the church of Scientology did support Ron Paul, I'd rather it not be vocal

The church itself can't endorse anyone, but its members can vote for whoever they want.

robert4rp08
11-25-2007, 12:09 AM
support is support. last thing i would expect here is discrimination based on beliefs...

matt murdock
11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm a Scientologist who supports Ron Paul. I've found that many Scientologists do too. This thread is littered with wrong ideas about what Scientology is, but so are most forums and I won't attempt to change anyone's mind. Obviously, I can't speak for all Scientologists but I'd say the main reasons so many Scientologists support Paul is because of his message of personal responsibility. The anti-big pharma and anti-mandatory psych evaluations are a bonus.

If I had to guess I'd say that the big guns like Cruise and Travolta probably support Paul, too. I bet they are aware of potential backlash if they were to come out in force to endorse him though, so I wouldn't expect anything like that.

On a side note, actor Kurt Russell is a big time libertarian from what I understand. That would be a nice little endorsement for Paul.

schmeisser
11-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm a Scientologist who supports Ron Paul. I've found that many Scientologists do too. This thread is littered with wrong ideas about what Scientology is, but so are most forums and I won't attempt to change anyone's mind. Obviously, I can't speak for all Scientologists but I'd say the main reasons so many Scientologists support Paul is because of his message of personal responsibility. The anti-big pharma and anti-mandatory psych evaluations are a bonus.

If I had to guess I'd say that the big guns like Cruise and Travolta probably support Paul, too. I bet they are aware of potential backlash if they were to come out in force to endorse him though, so I wouldn't expect anything like that.

On a side note, actor Kurt Russell is a big time libertarian from what I understand. That would be a nice little endorsement for Paul.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your insights!

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 09:27 PM
yep, welcome to the fold, your one of us now :)

inibo
11-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Welcome aboard the Freedom Train, next stop, America!

jenius
11-25-2007, 10:30 PM
beyond freedom... like super freedom?

LOL.

Shaun
11-25-2007, 10:33 PM
My post from Nov 4th. You guys are funny asking if it's a good idea to have Scietnology support Ron...here is the newsflash; ALL Scientologists support RP. And it's a good thing we do, because as you know we have a tremendous influence in this town..read below.

I have been a Scientologist for many years, I live in Hollywood, I run a well known entertainment company and I can tell you this, tomorrow, there will be thousands of Scientologists all over the planet donating to this guy. And as you know, we do have money. All the celebs in Scientology Hollywood are behind him. Including the big names, they can't go public and they won't but they are encouraging their people to donate. Why? Simple, we agree with him on everything....we are absoultely against Abortion, we do not believe in drugging kids under ANY circumstances and thereby supporting those big pharma companies, we believe in massive
personal liberty and total freedom and we don't like war. What else? ....Oh and we love the guy because he's for health freedom as it relates to nutritional products.
By the way, as a group, we are just about as crazy as you guys...
Everyone knows that. Just ask the MSM...

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
everybody is crazy, I know I am, thanks Shaun for the update, looking foward to looking at the donation jump tomrrow.

Shaun
11-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Alex, that post related to Nov 5th. I wrote it on the 4th Nov.
That said, there is lots happening here for Dec 16th and many prominent Scientologists pushing the donation event.
It's good, RP's message pulls many different tribes together.
We aren't so bad and a lot of the stuff that has been written is just flat out wrong. It's people who are following the mainstream media pundits and just repeating it. There are problems in Scientology, like any other outfit, but it's not the evil wicked group that some believe.
Anyhow..enough of that, onward and upward..
Shaun.

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I know, my bad for not seeing what date that was posted on, I'm all for everbody being part. I've learned a lot about the "fringe" groups who post here the more I learn about them the mos understand where they come from. I would love it if you PM me a gave me synopsis on the misconceptions, I have no opinion of Scientology other than a lot of hollywood is part of it.

I love being in a mixing pot like this campaign, it beefs up your historical knowledge very very quick, and as cultural studies guy, it's like an ethnographic wet dream.

jlink7
11-25-2007, 10:51 PM
An endorsement from Tom Cruise would actually get quite a bit of coverage, especially if they campaigned with him.

Remember, despite the old adage, in this case not all coverage is good coverage. It may be "free" but we could most definitely use more "normal" endorsements to go along with the "kooks" that are so often cited in the articles we read today.

inibo
11-25-2007, 10:54 PM
By the way, as a group, we are just about as crazy as you guys...
Everyone knows that. Just ask the MSM...

LOL

BTW, the O.T.O. still wants their boat back.

jlink7
11-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Oh, Shaun, in no way was I trying to be intentionally disrepectful-- I know that much media labels Scientologists as kooks, which was the point I was trying to illustrate.

bbachtung
11-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Scientologists, proctologists, biologists . . . I could care less so long as you support freedom (and Ron Paul).

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
11-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Man is an immortal, spiritual being.
That's where Scientology and I end our similarities, lol.
I won't pay for enlightment but I do believe in free markets without false pretense, so if there's demand, go for it.

RPinSEAZ
11-25-2007, 11:19 PM
There is something I've always wondered about Scientology. Really I wonder how the church explains how L. Ron Hubbard died and how is it that high level OTs still die? Isn't that one of the promised powers; the ability to cheat death? Certainly L. Ron Hubbard himself was the highest level possible, yet he died, drugged up and alone in a trailer about 20 miles from where I grew up.

matt murdock
11-25-2007, 11:28 PM
For those who want to take the time, here is a very good Q&A with a well informed Scientologist. You can ask questions too...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Scientology-1751/indexExp_30534.htm

Also, for the record I wouldn't say I fit exactly into what Shaun describes as a Scientologist, ie "we are absoultely against Abortion" isn't something I subscribe to. I do subscribe to the massive amounts of freedom and liberty though.

Ability to cheat death is certainly not promised either, haha.

RPinSEAZ
11-25-2007, 11:49 PM
And here are some words from the man himself.

http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/5.htm

Shaun
11-26-2007, 01:22 AM
Matt:
EVERY Scientologist I know agrees with Ron Pauls personal opinion. Absolutely dead against Abortion. Personally this one of the things I really respect about Ron Paul. There is something about his respect for life that goes ALL the way through the life cycle. It's really great. He's a very sane guy.

Shaun
11-26-2007, 01:27 AM
RPinSEAZ; Ability to cheat death? Hubbard...?
It's complex...let's just say that the old man was an interesting guy but was not perfect in any way shape or form. It's a long answer and I think we should just get back to supporting Ron Paul.
Like any belief system, Scientology takes understanding, and like any religion, it's a CULT to people outside it (like any religion, those inside just believe it..)
Let's focus on Dec 16th and maybe after that you and I can have a beer somewhere and go over the good, bad and ugly..
Thanks.
Shaun.

"There is something I've always wondered about Scientology. Really I wonder how the church explains how L. Ron Hubbard died and how is it that high level OTs still die? Isn't that one of the promised powers; the ability to cheat death? Certainly L. Ron Hubbard himself was the highest level possible, yet he died, drugged up and alone in a trailer about 20 miles from where I grew up"

john_anderson_ii
11-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Shaun,

I trust that you've told your wealthy Scientologist friends about the upcoming tea party? I have a conspiracy theory about how the Nov 5th tea part was so successful, and it has a lot to do with Scientologists putting their money and faith in Ron Paul. I'm just hoping they all didn't max out last time. ;)

I'm certainly not in the 'we don't want Scientology support' camp for quite a few reasons. First, your religion isn't half as crazy or scary as those Christians who dance with snakes. Second, all I have to do to not be exposed to Scientology is simply not become a member. It doesn't work that way with government. When you decided to not become a member of government you revoke your citizenship and go somewhere else. It really doesn't matter if I agree with or disagree with what your Church teaches. Freedom of religion applies to every citizen with no exceptions.

I welcome all Scientologists to the Revolution if they'd like to come on board.

awitelin
11-26-2007, 02:03 AM
No such thing as bad support, I guess. Heck, we've already been demonized by half the media outlets in the country anyway, so if the Scientologists want to join up too? We could do much worse. Please jump on a couch for us, and welcome aboard.

timosman
11-27-2016, 12:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcPoSo49dYU