PDA

View Full Version : Houston neighborhood turns to private security firm for protection

green73
04-05-2013, 06:40 PM
HOUSTON -- A Houston-based company with offices in London and Dubai that helps protect cargo ships from pirates is now helping a southwest neighborhood protect itself against common thieves.

As Officer Leroy Bill patrols the streets for the Sharpstown Civic Association, he looks and sounds like a cop.

“We're looking for broke windows, and we're looking for kicked in doors,” said Bill.

He and his fellow officers are certainly armed like cops and even have their own K-9 units. In reality, they are security officers for Seal Security, and they’ve been contracted by the subdivision since November.

“We actually patrol districts and subdivisions like this one to give them a little more security for their money,” said James Alexander, Seal’s director of operations.

“The civic association used to contract with the constables office for a deputy to patrol the area, but now that it's gone with Seal security, it has three to four officers patrolling the streets at any given time, and at half the cost. Also cut in half: the number of monthly burglaries.

When a young mother in the neighborhood was recently stabbed multiple times in front of her children, a Seal security officer was the first to arrive on scene.

“Our guy was on duty making a routine patrol. He comes around the corner and was flagged down, sees the assault, draws his weapon and breaks it up,” said Jim Bigham, president of the Sharpstown Civic Association.

Bigham says the measure has saved the association roughly $200,000, while giving residents added peace of mind.

“It's great. I feel a lot better,” said Sharpstown resident Donna Fain. “Last month, my dad's car was broken into, and I hear they've reduced the number of car break-ins by a significant amount.”

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Houston-neighborhood-turns-to-private-security-firm-for-protection--201168841.html

green73
04-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Private security patrols on the rise in the Oakland hills

OAKLAND -- As police resources continue to tighten throughout the city, an increasing number of neighborhoods in the hills have begun to take security into their own hands by hiring private companies to patrol their streets.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_22840574/private-security-patrols-rise-oakland-hills

phill4paul
04-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Time for a gated community with their own security force that wouldn't admit L.E.O. without confirmed warrants. Unfortunately, it wouldn't hamper drones.

jclay2
04-05-2013, 06:59 PM
In chicago, an alderman just proposed an ordinance that would allow churches, businesses, and charities to sponsor off duty policeman at $30/hour to patrol the streets.

ronpaulfollower999
04-05-2013, 07:52 PM
But rooooaddddzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!1111!

aGameOfThrones
04-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Comment from the site:

Mike Du Bose · None of your business
This is a horrible idea....The Constitution guarantees equal protection to all citizens. Private security guards are not sworn to uphold the constitution but just focused on increase profits. Alternatively, a city might contract a private security agency that is more concerned with cutting corners to make a profit than maintaining law and order.

Also, Public police departments have long-standing policies and procedures for handling misconduct. Private security firms do not. In fact, they may try to hide misconduct in order to protect themselves against liability and protect their name.

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2012/09/tatum_channing_laughing_hysterically-1508.gif

Henry Rogue
04-05-2013, 08:06 PM
I'd still rather see well armed and trained mundane, understanding the notion of mutual respect. I know, I know, never going to happen.

Anti Federalist
04-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I'd still rather see well armed and trained mundane, understanding the notion of mutual respect. I know, I know, never going to happen.

This.

Any organized force, given a monopoly on inflicting violence, is liable to abuse.

BAllen
04-05-2013, 10:35 PM
And are their taxes cut, since they have to hire their own security?

Anti Federalist
04-05-2013, 10:48 PM
And are their taxes cut, since they have to hire their own security?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m03dutXOzM1qbxmbeo1_500.gif

DamianTV
04-06-2013, 02:46 AM
But rooooaddddzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!1111!

"Fuck the roads! I want my pension! Go collect it! What? No, I dont give a shit if you have to incarcerate every fucker in my jurisdiction to get me my pension! They are there to serve me!"

NOT Sarcasm. I wish it were, but how many Govt Officials do you know with this exact mentality?

---

Wins Thread! +REP

It does happen. But things tend to change once people start bestowing TITLES on each other.

(oh Glorious Leader, how could you let this mundane come to this conclusion?)

Professor8000
04-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Comment from the site:

Mike Du Bose · None of your business
This is a horrible idea....The Constitution guarantees equal protection to all citizens. Private security guards are not sworn to uphold the constitution but just focused on increase profits. Alternatively, a city might contract a private security agency that is more concerned with cutting corners to make a profit than maintaining law and order.

Also, Public police departments have long-standing policies and procedures for handling misconduct. Private security firms do not. In fact, they may try to hide misconduct in order to protect themselves against liability and protect their name.

That person obviously doesn't understand how contract security works. I can be removed from my post for any reason. I know places that don't allow any black security officers because the manager doesn't like black people. I've seen officers removed from a post because they answered a phone wrong. Security companies bend over backwards to please the clients. If a security officer screws up, the security company is the first to throw them under the bus. That is how customer service works. When the client keeps a satisfaction clause in their contract, the security company does not tolerate screw ups.

kcchiefs6465
04-06-2013, 04:25 AM
Security companies bend over backwards to please the clients.

If a security officer screws up, the security company is the first to throw them under the bus. That is how customer service works. When the client keeps a satisfaction clause in their contract, the security company does not tolerate screw ups.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m03dutXOzM1qbxmbeo1_500.gif

tod evans
04-06-2013, 04:36 AM
[snip] I know places that don't allow any black security officers because the manager doesn't like black people. [snip]

WTF does this have to do with the discussion?

Have you been watching MSM?

Professor8000
04-06-2013, 06:11 AM
WTF does this have to do with the discussion?

Have you been watching MSM?

I used it as an example to show that the client will remove anyone for any reason, and the security company will always be accommodating to the client. The argument in the comment was that there would be little accountability for the security company, which is not true.

Professor8000
04-06-2013, 06:11 AM
derp

tod evans
04-06-2013, 06:23 AM
I used it as an example to show that the client will remove anyone for any reason, and the security company will always be accommodating to the client. The argument in the comment was that there would be little accountability for the security company, which is not true.

Sorry man..:o

Henry Rogue
04-06-2013, 09:17 AM
That person obviously doesn't understand how contract security works. I can be removed from my post for any reason. I know places that don't allow any black security officers because the manager doesn't like black people. I've seen officers removed from a post because they answered a phone wrong. Security companies bend over backwards to please the clients. If a security officer screws up, the security company is the first to throw them under the bus. That is how customer service works. When the client keeps a satisfaction clause in their contract, the security company does not tolerate screw ups.
Private is far more accountable than public. My worry is, will there be competition? Will the government grant special privileges to a corporation or business, as it gives itself? After all, we presently don't live in a true Free Market environment. I could see a situation where gated communities choose a private police force and non gated choose self policing. I personally would not choose to live in a gated community. I would prefer not to pay taxes to a neighborhood association, as that is just another miniature democracy.

Professor8000
04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Private is far more accountable than public. My worry is, will there be competition? Will the government grant special privileges to a corporation or business, as it gives itself? After all, we presently don't live in a true Free Market environment. I could see a situation where gated communities choose a private police force and non gated choose self policing. I personally would not choose to live in a gated community. I would prefer not to pay taxes to a neighborhood association, as that is just another miniature democracy.

There is tons and tons of competition in the security business, especially in and around the big metro areas. If at any time the client is not happy, they put the site up for bid and 15-20 security companies will bid on the job. As far as government granting privileges, no. In Texas, private security, even off duty police, have only the arresting power of the private citizen, and must follow the same use of force laws as a private citizen. Private security directly competes with police so I doubt the government will do the industry any favors any time soon.