PDA

View Full Version : Actor Jeremy Irons rips Michael Bloomberg, Nanny State [Video]

CaseyJones
04-05-2013, 05:46 AM
http://www.humanevents.com/2013/04/04/jeremy-irons-rips-bloomberg-nanny-state/

He goes full libertarian in this (excerpt from a) HuffPo Live interview; his position on paternalistic do-gooders is right on.

more and the video at link ^

Lucille
04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I guess I could have posted this one is GP!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?410051-And-Showtime-cancels-The-Borgias-in-5-4-3

He went on to suggest that the legalisation of gay marriage could lead to unexpected consequences, raising the possibility that family members could marry to avoid inheritance tax, and asked: 'Could a father not marry his son?"
[...]
Mr Irons insisted he was not motivated by bigotry, saying: 'I don't have a strong feeling either way - I just wish everybody who's living with one other person the best of luck in the world, because it's fantastic.'

In another potentially controversial comment, he added: 'Living with another animal, whether it be a husband or a dog, is great.'

Feminist news website Jezebel denounced Mr Irons' comments as 'completely gross' and urged him to 'shut up'.

Many Twitter users also expressed disappointment in the former star of Brideshead Revisited and The Lion King - @LilEsBella wrote: 'Jeremy Irons just made me sick to my stomach. Disgusting logic.'

Mr Irons and his wife of 34 years Sinead Cusack were once large donors to Labour, but he has since expressed disappointment in the party and espoused Conservative causes such as smaller government and the legalisation of fox-hunting.

It is just two months since Mr Irons hit the headlines with an interview in the Radio Times in which he said 'any woman worth her salt can deal with' being patted on the bottom.

He later claimed his remarks were 'misquoted', but he still maintained: 'I love touching. I always touch people'.

He said that a hands-on approach was not a problem because 'any self-respecting woman would tell you to f*** off [if she minded].'

He also caused outrage when he compared smokers to disabled people, saying that bans on smoking indoors were 'a terrible bullying of a minority that cannot speak back'.

The former star of Die Hard with a Vengeance went on to say that smokers should be given the same protection as 'handicapped people and children'.

donnay
04-05-2013, 09:39 AM
*Applauds Jeremy Irons!* More people should think like this and then we have more liberty!

Kords21
04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
I loved him in Die hard, best villian in the series after the first one. He's awesome in this interview. I think/hope more people are coming around to this way of thinking.

aGameOfThrones
04-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Bloomberg on Jeremy irons:

It will be the day when I take advice from a man whose children sleep with each other, kill each other and commit all sorts of crimes. He took some religious vows, but breaks them regularly.

*in walks Bloomberg's assistant* Mr. Bloomberg, you're describing the character he plays on the Borgias.

*Bloombergs looks dumbfounded* Well, he killed Mufasa!

Occam's Banana
04-05-2013, 04:53 PM
I'll bet Jeremy Irons could kick Jim Carrey's ass ...

AGRP
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Christian Liberty
04-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Bloomberg on Jeremy irons:

It will be the day when I take advice from a man whose children sleep with each other, kill each other and commit all sorts of crimes. He took some religious vows, but breaks them regularly.

*in walks Bloomberg's assistant* Mr. Bloomberg, you're describing the character he plays on the Borgias.

*Bloombergs looks dumbfounded* Well, he killed Mufasa!

That really reads like it came straight out of a sitcom. Lol.

Feelgood
04-05-2013, 07:17 PM
You don't mess with the Pope!