PDA

View Full Version : Conflict Theory assignment for Sociology (Rand/Ron Paul essay)

randpaul2016
04-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Hey guys, have to pick a news article. Write about it/summarize it, then write about it in the Conflict Theory perspective and incorporate it. (Which is pretty easy because I agree with the conflict theory perspective, and I think Rand and Ron Paul do as well on some issues such as gun laws, the war on drugs, foreign policy etc)

For the remainder of the essay, you will “interpret” your news article using your chosen perspective.
a. The first section of your essay should explain this paradigm in your own words.
b. Using your chosen paradigm, how do you “see“ the events of the news article?

I chose conflict theory obviously...the one I agree with the most.

example:
The right to bear arms doesn't apply to just the rich and powerful.
Rand Paul Points Out Hypocrisy of Rich and Powerful People with Armed Guards Trying to Restrict Gun Ownership for the Rest of Us
http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/29/rand-paul-points-out-hyprocrisy-of-rich

BOOM conflict theory, but the article isn't so long so it'll be REALLY hard writing 6 pages with just that article. I CAN use more than one, like that link right there can be the 'main' one.

appreciate any help here guys...Should I stay focused on just 1 category such as gun laws? orrrr....? I can write on the war on drugs...? the fed? lol I can seriously right about anything that relates to Ron or Rand Paul because you can incorporate conflict theory easily

randpaul2016
04-06-2013, 08:37 AM
anyone?

Danan
04-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Can you elaborate on what Conflict Theory is?

Natural Citizen
04-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Hey guys, have to pick a news article. Write about it/summarize it, then write about it in the Conflict Theory perspective and incorporate it. (Which is pretty easy because I agree with the conflict theory perspective, and I think Rand and Ron Paul do as well on some issues such as gun laws, the war on drugs, foreign policy etc)

For the remainder of the essay, you will “interpret” your news article using your chosen perspective.
a. The first section of your essay should explain this paradigm in your own words.
b. Using your chosen paradigm, how do you “see“ the events of the news article?

I chose conflict theory obviously...the one I agree with the most.

example:
The right to bear arms doesn't apply to just the rich and powerful.
Rand Paul Points Out Hypocrisy of Rich and Powerful People with Armed Guards Trying to Restrict Gun Ownership for the Rest of Us
http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/29/rand-paul-points-out-hyprocrisy-of-rich

BOOM conflict theory, but the article isn't so long so it'll be REALLY hard writing 6 pages with just that article. I CAN use more than one, like that link right there can be the 'main' one.

appreciate any help here guys...Should I stay focused on just 1 category such as gun laws? orrrr....? I can write on the war on drugs...? the fed? lol I can seriously right about anything that relates to Ron or Rand Paul because you can incorporate conflict theory easily

This is very interesting. I think you would be better served to place the base itself under that lens though instead of Ron and Rand. Of course, this would demand that you be honest with yourself when really analyzing the phenomenon. It's fascinating what is happening. It really is.

randpaul2016
04-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Can you elaborate on what Conflict Theory is?

Conflict theory emphasizes the role of coercion and power in producing social order. This perspective is derived from the works of Karl Marx, who saw society as fragmented into groups that compete for social and economic resources. Social order is maintained by domination, with power in the hands of those with the greatest political, economic, and social resources. When consensus exists, it is attributable to people being united around common interests, often in opposition to other groups.

Sola_Fide
04-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Conflict theory emphasizes the role of coercion and power in producing social order. This perspective is derived from the works of Karl Marx, who saw society as fragmented into groups that compete for social and economic resources. Social order is maintained by domination, with power in the hands of those with the greatest political, economic, and social resources. When consensus exists, it is attributable to people being united around common interests, often in opposition to other groups.

Ron does not believe that, and the founding generation, who took up arms, did not believe that either.

randpaul2016
04-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Ron does not believe that, and the founding generation, who took up arms, did not believe that either.

its a perspective really, not something you believe in.

In my paper I am writing about the gun laws through a conflict theory perspective.