PDA

View Full Version : will you allow your conversations to rise above this?

newbitech
04-04-2013, 10:51 PM
and will you be able to recognize it when it's happening?

This image has so much truth to it, i just had to share.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/156836_174157702739067_673296705_n.jpg

nobody's_hero
04-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Makes my head hurt, and reminds me of a kit-kat bar.

WM_in_MO
04-05-2013, 07:28 AM
He raises a good point, We need to start trying to see all sides of things, not just our own. The better we understand how someone perceived something, the better we can relate.

Bern
04-05-2013, 07:46 AM
A conversation in search of truth should consist mainly of calm, considered questions. Declaring facts is not nearly as powerful as allowing participants the opporunity to discover/derive them for themselves. Of course, leaving yourself open to the possibility that you are wrong keeps conversations honest.

libertyjam
04-05-2013, 08:07 AM
A conversation in search of truth should consist mainly of calm, considered questions. Declaring facts is not nearly as powerful as allowing participants the opporunity to discover/derive them for themselves. Of course, leaving yourself open to the possibility that you are wrong keeps conversations honest.

As long as those questions do not employ circular logic.

WM_in_MO
04-05-2013, 08:12 AM
And to realize any system you argue for is NOT perfect. No system in reality is perfect. Perfection only exists in fantasy land.

paulbot24
04-05-2013, 08:12 AM
As long as those questions do not employ circular logic.

And the answers don't wind up being just a circle jerk.

chudrockz
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
There's four of the darn things there. Duh. ;)

ClydeCoulter
04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
There are none. It's an invalid shape and has no volume. It's kind of like the reality we are fed, in many instances.

paulbot24
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
There are none. It's an invalid shape and has no volume. It's kind of like the reality we are fed, in many instances.

They look like "Fair and Balanced" beams to me.

AlexAmore
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
One way to keep debates civil is by verbally saying "I agree" a lot. So you'll agree with them on the what the problem is, make that known to them, and then give your solution.

Our problem is, to them, all we seem to do is bitch and say "this shit doesn't work and that shit doesn't work", but provide no solutions nor acknowledge that problems exist and that they ought to be solved. The problem with Libertarianism is the philosophy lends itself well to saying "Interventionism doesn't work, free markets will solve the problem" and that doesn't cut it for most people and it's provable.

In direct marketing, using a sales letter, experts have found the more writing and detail in the letter the more sales. They went from a short sales letter of a few pages, all the way up to an entire book-sized sales letter and it increases sales Every. Single. Time. People desperately need as much detail as possible before making up their minds. The experts have also found the more simpleton the writing of the sales letter, the more sales.

We need to flesh out how free markets solve various problems in as much detail as possible using proof, examples, and stories, and put it at an 8th grade reading level. I don't know if a book is out there like that. Heck, I might write a book like that.

P3ter_Griffin
04-05-2013, 09:48 AM
One way to keep debates civil is by verbally saying "I agree" a lot. So you'll agree with them on the what the problem is, make that known to them, and then give your solution.

Our problem is, to them, all we seem to do is bitch and say "this shit doesn't work and that shit doesn't work", but provide no solutions nor acknowledge that problems exist and that they ought to be solved. The problem with Libertarianism is the philosophy lends itself well to saying "Interventionism doesn't work, free markets will solve the problem" and that doesn't cut it for most people and it's provable.

In direct marketing, using a sales letter, experts have found the more writing and detail in the letter the more sales. They went from a short sales letter of a few pages, all the way up to an entire book-sized sales letter and it increases sales Every. Single. Time. People desperately need as much detail as possible before making up their minds. The experts have also found the more simpleton the writing of the sales letter, the more sales.

We need to flesh out how free markets solve various problems in as much detail as possible using proof, examples, and stories, and put it at an 8th grade reading level. I don't know if a book is out there like that. Heck, I might write a book like that.

I think there is always need for more books, but Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson fits your description well.

georgiaboy
04-05-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree.

Flugel89
04-05-2013, 11:50 AM

The two on the outside are complete objects.

talkingpointes
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
The two on the outside are complete objects.

Well to be clear it's dealing with epistemology.

Flugel89
04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Well to be clear it's dealing with epistemology.

I know its not the point. I was just having a little fun.

I'll be honest. I had to google epistemology.