PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's want ad demands bachelor's degree, two years experience for cashier

emazur
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2526145?slideout=1

Youth advocates said the ad is proof of how bad the employment situation is for kids. "Sadly we've taxed-and-spent our way to an economy in which there's intense competition for just about any job. Combine that with government meddling in the student loan market that has artificially inflated the cost of higher education and young people are getting screwed over even worse than the country overall," said Evan Feinberg, president of the Washington-based youth advocacy group Generation Opportunity.

dannno
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Holy Hell.

MRK
04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
I just want to point out this is only for one McDonald's, and I certainly imagine it is one of the independently owned ones.

However, I can see how the owner would want to hire a college graduate. Several years ago I was at a McDonalds while travelling on the road, and this kid behind the cashier gave me the most disinterested and "I can't believe I'm standing here listening to you make your order" look and response to my order I've ever seen. His 3 months of work were probably up so he was trying to get fired as hard as he could so that he could get unemployment. A kid who just graduated from college would probably have too much pride to go on unemployment immediately after 3 months. And the owner could probably pay the graduate the same or $1 more/hour and a college graduate might jump on it if the graduate perceives that there's no other job out there for him. And the owner would dangle the promotional carrot and benefits package in front of the graduate's nose to make him work harder and better...

Quark
04-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Yep. I've been trying to find a job so that I can situate myself into off-campus housing (which I already can pay with institutional aid and savings, but I need proof of monthly income.) It is a pain when you read ads for fast-food places asking you about your prior experience or demanding a year experience. I couldn't even imagine the feeling of having my bachelors (or PhD) and still struggling with this. Coming from a working class family I can say that the end of class mobility seems to be the future of this country with most people(rich leftist politicians and billionaires) more entertained by ideas of income equality rather than income mobility.

jbauer
04-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Pride, something nearly everyone has lost.

I just want to point out this is only for one McDonald's, and I certainly imagine it is one of the independently owned ones.

However, I can see how the owner would want to hire a college graduate. Several years ago I was at a McDonalds while travelling on the road, and this kid behind the cashier gave me the most disinterested and "I can't believe I'm standing here listening to you make your order" look and response to my order I've ever seen. His 3 months of work were probably up so he was trying to get fired as hard as he could so that he could get unemployment. A kid who just graduated from college would probably have too much pride to go on unemployment immediately after 3 months. And the owner could probably pay the graduate the same or $1 more/hour and a college graduate might jump on it if the graduate perceives that there's no other job out there for him. And the owner would dangle the promotional carrot and benefits package in front of the graduate's nose to make him work harder and better...

talkingpointes
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Just to speculate. Could this also filter out other demographics ? Not going to be specific, but just stating.

DamianTV
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
This is exactly what Corporate America thinks of your college degree. Minimum Wage Part Time. And they wonder why they call them "McJobs".

tod evans
04-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Wonder if the cashiers could count change and fill orders accurately after meeting the proposed qualifications?

Even better, wonder if the customers would be able to understand them?

abacabb
04-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Just to speculate. Could this also filter out other demographics ? Not going to be specific, but just stating.
Good point.

Brian4Liberty
04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Forum hiccup.

Brian4Liberty
04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Obviously a sign that our economy needs many more highly skilled workers.

Next up:

McDonald's Corporation and the US Chamber of Commerce released a joint report calling on Congress to drastically increase the number of highly skilled work visas to address an ongoing shortage of workers. "There aren't enough skilled applicants in the US to fill our need for skilled positions such as cashier. American Universities do not provide enough qualified candidates, and quite frankly, they are too stupid to do the work", said McDonald's Vice President of Finance, Hahm Berglar. "Qualified candidates are available from Asia, but Microsoft typically uses up the annual quota of visas before we have a chance. The quota must be lifted entirely".

/s

DamianTV
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Obviously a sign that our economy needs many more highly skilled workers.

Next up:

McDonald's Corporation and the US Chamber of Commerce released a joint report calling on Congress to drastically increase the number of highly skilled work visas to address an ongoing shortage of workers. "There aren't enough skilled applicants in the US to fill our need for skilled positions such as cashier. American Universities do not provide enough qualified candidates, and quite frankly, they are too stupid to do the work", said McDonald's Vice President of Finance, Hahm Berglar. "Qualified candidates are available from Asia, but Microsoft typically uses up the annual quota of visas before we have a chance. The quota must be lifted entirely".

Right. Lets not fix things at home by actually teaching students something worth a shit and instead just open up the doors to lay off any US Born Unemployed and instead employ people from every other country except our own.

The Govt solution to any problem is usually worse than the problem itself.

(P.S. I agree Brian. Our typical "workers" coming out of college barely have a room temperature IQ...)

heavenlyboy34
04-03-2013, 05:29 PM
The good news about requiring a degree for burger flipping is that it stimulates the college and student loan complexes. Yay, stimulus! /sarc

Anti Federalist
04-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Thank you, globalization.

Yep. I've been trying to find a job so that I can situate myself into off-campus housing (which I already can pay with institutional aid and savings, but I need proof of monthly income.) It is a pain when you read ads for fast-food places asking you about your prior experience or demanding a year experience. I couldn't even imagine the feeling of having my bachelors (or PhD) and still struggling with this. Coming from a working class family I can say that the end of class mobility seems to be the future of this country with most people(rich leftist politicians and billionaires) more entertained by ideas of income equality rather than income mobility.

Anti Federalist
04-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Advice to my son:

Learn a trade or a skill.

Take on no debt.

Philhelm
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Advice to my son:

Take on no debt.

I can fire a rifle. Does that count?

Anti Federalist
04-03-2013, 05:58 PM

That very well may become a valuable skill set.

MelissaWV
04-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Advice to my son:

Take on no debt.

An interesting little thing I've learned is to look around at those "career advice" blogs/articles, and then cross all of those "hot jobs" off of my list. The steadiest industries to work in are obvious if you stop and think about them. Now, which of those are you willing to work in? What's a dealbreaker? What are your natural talents? You'll find yourself employed faster than most of your fellows, and you'll be carrying no college loan debt. You'll also be starting LIFE sooner than they will.

heavenlyboy34
04-03-2013, 06:13 PM
I'll teach you shotgun if you teach me rifle. :)

silverhandorder
04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
It's insane. Degrees don't matter at all, but there is still drag where non degree holders can't break in. However there are ways to get around this. Any company has non degree holding jobs such as janitors, glassware washers and etc. That is more than enough to gain access to decision makers in a company. You can easily make some type of deal to move up to jobs that require a degree. Unfortunately you would probably still need to get one if the company has not caught on.

tttppp
04-03-2013, 07:16 PM
There is obviously no need for a college degree to become a cashier. I used to manage cashiers and the majority of them didnt have degrees because those people were too busy getting real jobs.

alucard13mmfmj
04-03-2013, 07:17 PM
lol.

i am not qualified because i dont have 2 years cashier experience.

asurfaholic
04-03-2013, 07:43 PM
service sector is where its at... Electricians, plumbers, HVAC. Many others to list. You dont need a college degree, only a little common sense. Whatever common sense you are lacking when you take on a job like these will quickly get stamped in. Steady flow of work and lots of room to grow. Thing I am going to teach my little one is that you want a job where you can work harder than your peers, and become more valuable because of it. Most of these mega corps are really hard to motivate people to try harder and be more productive because if you bust your butt, you still only get your annual 3 or 5% raise. If you're lucky.

DamianTV
04-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Two words: Educated Poor.

PaulConventionWV
04-03-2013, 07:51 PM
This is exactly what Corporate America thinks of your college degree. Minimum Wage Part Time. And they wonder why they call them "McJobs".

I'm pretty sure the job was full time.

Ranger29860
04-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Ive applied to some companies that will do stuff like that just because they are under the assumption that only those that really want to work will apply even if they don't meet the requirements. There have been plenty of times Ive gotten a second interview even though I didn't meet one of the requirements. Its a way to weed out those that are not the serious about jobs. Some people seem to think that if a job says 2 years experience and a bachelors that you will not get hired or even talked to without those but its not true at all.

Though I think it is a little ridiculous to try that tactic for a cashier job at McDonalds. If anything this will cause more bad press than it would bring forth good hires.

anaconda
04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
The person quoted in the article sounds like a Ron Paul supporter, based upon his comments.

MelissaWV
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
The more I look at the ad, the more it looks like someone messed up when posting it.

The ad on the actual McD's website does not mention a college degree or experience for the cashier job. Not even the shift manager position shows those requirements, though it advertises a bonus if you've got previous McD's experience.

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
I remember seeing a piece on the state of education in California. They had this one kid (tenth grader) and they put a simple addition problem on the board. She got it wrong. Then the proudly stated that she wanted to be a doctor.

A few years ago, a major contractor in the DC area wrote bitching about the quality of the college graduates he was getting. He said he needed people that could write, spell and do basic math. He wasn't getting them.

While back I went into a drive in. Handed the kid behind the counter 3 $1 bills for a $2.66 meal. She started to ring it up and I said wait - I think I have some change. Handed her 3 quarters. She sorta freaked. Completely unable to realize that 77 cents - 66 cents means 9 cents back and returning a dollar. Instead she gave me a $10 back and called the manager because she couldn't figure out what to do with the cash register at that point. :rolleyes:

THANK YOU PUBLIC FOOL SYSTEM!

NOT!

-t

MelissaWV
04-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I remember seeing a piece on the state of education in California. They had this one kid (tenth grader) and they put a simple addition problem on the board. She got it wrong. Then the proudly stated that she wanted to be a doctor.

A few years ago, a major contractor in the DC area wrote bitching about the quality of the college graduates he was getting. He said he needed people that could write, spell and do basic math. He wasn't getting them.

While back I went into a drive in. Handed the kid behind the counter 3 $1 bills for a $2.66 meal. She started to ring it up and I said wait - I think I have some change. Handed her 3 quarters. She sorta freaked. Completely unable to realize that 77 cents - 66 cents means 9 cents back and returning a dollar. Instead she gave me a $10 back and called the manager because she couldn't figure out what to do with the cash register at that point. :rolleyes:

THANK YOU PUBLIC FOOL SYSTEM!

NOT!

-t

Not defending her (since she was so eager to utterly give up and give you a $10), but a lot of places have gone to "smart registers." This means that they don't have a traditional till inside. If she punched in $3.00 it would automatically spit out the $0.34 in change out of a little machine, rather than the cashier having to reach into the till and count out the change herself. If it was one of those, and you changed your mind after she had punched in the $3.00 payment, she would have been in an odd spot. She could have given you back a dollar and the $0.09 (thankfully she would have had a quarter, a nickel, and four pennies as a part of the $0.34 that was spit out) in this particular situation. In other situations, she would have potentially had more trouble if she did not have the random change in her "smart" till.

You think that's bad... you should see the newest crop of cashiers trying to ring up produce. Hint: here they ALWAYS look at the giant rolodex of produce (as if they know what a plantain is) rather than memorize the most basic codes and look at produce stickers for the rest.

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
I gave her back the $10 and told her she gave me too much. I only needed a buck back. and 9 cents...

My comments are about the state of education in this country, not slamming the victims of it.

-t

emazur
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
I gave her back the $10 and told her she gave me too much. I only needed a buck back. and 9 cents...

My comments are about the state of education in this country, not slamming the victims of it.

-t

In her defense, regardless of education level, when a cashier does transaction after transaction, especially during a busy time (think lunch for fast food or retail during Christmas), you get into the groove of just wanting to get the transaction over with as quickly as possible so you don't think about the numbers (nor would you want to), you just want to push buttons and be done with it. It was unintentional, but you threw a monkey wrench into the situation.

Besides, when you're doing addition or subtraction in your head, you're liable to make mistakes. Case in point:

Completely unable to realize that 77 cents - 66 cents means 9 cents back
That would actually be 11 cents back. But I'll cut you some slack since you said three quarters. Basically, mistakes can be made in the head or by machine (if the input is bad). But I'm totally with you on your message: the public education system is turning out imbeciles.

VBRonPaulFan
04-03-2013, 09:04 PM

-t

lol, 77 - 66 = 11

Ranger29860
04-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I worked as a cashier as a young kid and it may seem easy but like someone said when you have been doing it all day and a pattern gets broken like that it is hard for the brain to switch gears. Ive made very similar mistakes myself at the time, and immediately looked back at it and went "what the hell is wrong with me".

tttppp
04-03-2013, 10:30 PM
service sector is where its at... Electricians, plumbers, HVAC. Many others to list. You dont need a college degree, only a little common sense. Whatever common sense you are lacking when you take on a job like these will quickly get stamped in. Steady flow of work and lots of room to grow. Thing I am going to teach my little one is that you want a job where you can work harder than your peers, and become more valuable because of it. Most of these mega corps are really hard to motivate people to try harder and be more productive because if you bust your butt, you still only get your annual 3 or 5% raise. If you're lucky.

By the way, cashier is one of the easier jobs to teach, only taking a day or two max. Most employees pick it up on their first shift.

oyarde
04-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Myself as well .Probably sooner than we realize .

tangent4ronpaul
04-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Good catch - MY BAD!

+rep!

-t

Michigan11
04-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Well lets cut the bull for a minute here. Unless your degree is in science or medicine you should not get a degree. Very few jobs besides those fields actually will ever say 'hey can you show me that piece of paper'. Very few jobs advertised outside of those fields I listed even state they want a degree or they may but they aren't going into the trouble of checking. I've noticed people don't get any smarter after getting a degree and they aren't increasingly employable either.

The college scam has become very apparent lately

WhistlinDave
04-03-2013, 11:29 PM
My wife is currently looking for a job, and she keeps running into jobs like this. $14., $15. per hour and requiring a degree. The very worst one we can remember required a bachelors degree and the job paid $12. per hour!! I don't remember what it was. (Wasn't fast food... administrative assistant I think?) Absolutely ridiculous!

heavenlyboy34
04-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Well lets cut the bull for a minute here. Unless your degree is in science or medicine you should not get a degree. Very few jobs besides those fields actually will ever say 'hey can you show me that piece of paper'. Very few jobs advertised outside of those fields I listed even state they want a degree or they may but they aren't going into the trouble of checking. I've noticed people don't get any smarter after getting a degree and they aren't increasingly employable either.

The college scam has become very apparent lately
A lot of graphic design firms won't even consider you without at least a BA. :( I got my CCL in '08, at about the same time the entry level market collapsed along with most of the economy. I've sent out dozens of resumes-no response. :( The only job I've gotten since graduation was a secretary job, and all that requires is basic computer skills, answering the phone, transferring calls, and general office shit anyone with a functioning brain can figure out in a 3 days at the most. I really liked that job and loved my boss (we still keep in touch). I had teh mega sad when the business got really bad and I was laid off. :(((

Michigan11
04-03-2013, 11:49 PM
My wife is currently looking for a job, and she keeps running into jobs like this. $14., $15. per hour and requiring a degree. The very worst one we can remember required a bachelors degree and the job paid $12. per hour!! I don't remember what it was. (Wasn't fast food... administrative assistant I think?) Absolutely ridiculous!

I'm hearing similar things from others and I truly believe that looking for job will soon become a thing of the past.

oyarde
04-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Disability is the new gig , more drawing that than unemployment, if you add it all up , ( because those are not counted ) and the rest not counted, unemployment is 20 % .

Michigan11
04-03-2013, 11:56 PM
A lot of graphic design firms won't even consider you without at least a BA. :( I got my CCL in '08, at about the same time the entry level market collapsed along with most of the economy. I've sent out dozens of resumes-no response. :( The only job I've gotten since graduation was a secretary job, and all that requires is basic computer skills, answering the phone, transferring calls, and general office shit anyone with a functioning brain can figure out in a 3 days at the most. I really liked that job and loved my boss (we still keep in touch). I had teh mega sad when the business got really bad and I was laid off. :(((

Yeah that's a sad thing that is happening to a lot of people today. Like my above post actually going out looking for a job is becoming an extinct pastime and I am guessing this trend will become evident to the mass psyche quickly. There is something very big happening here that is affecting many and I believe Revolution is becoming a real possibility soon

amy31416
04-03-2013, 11:57 PM
What's this rubbish with a cashier job being difficult?

It isn't.

heavenlyboy34
04-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Yeah that's a sad thing that is happening to a lot of people today. Like my above post actually going out looking for a job is becoming an extinct pastime and I am guessing this trend will become evident to the mass psyche quickly. There is something very big happening here that is affecting many and I believe Revolution is becoming a real possibility soon
I suspect you're right because Boobus usually doesn't get irate until his inflation/cheap credit-sponsored lifestyle is interrupted. At some point, there is going to be a VERY rude interruption because the money just won't be there. That is when you'll see people marching towards congress with torches and pitchforks demanding change. Sad it takes such extremes, but that's how Boobus has been trained.

heavenlyboy34
04-04-2013, 12:02 AM
What's this rubbish with a cashier job being difficult?

It isn't.
I've never been a cashier, but it looks ridiculously easy to me. Computers and scanners do almost everything now. The bag boy's job looks harder.

Michigan11
04-04-2013, 12:20 AM
You know I am at a hotel right now on the beach in south Hutchinson island Florida. Last year I was in the same room looking at the same 2 lane road being torn up and one lane closed down around this island. I finally started wondering what's going on here how long will this take to complete. I've grown up around the yellow cones in Michigan. This is spring break a busy time of the year for Florida yet these restaurants and shops look pretty dead and bleak. I decided to ask some locals what the deal was with the permanent road crews was and I got responses like 'it keeps people working'. I then asked an actual road crew member and he asked me 'are you going to be at the room again next year?'

I said maybe. He said well you will see us out here next year. He said its time and materials and everyone on the crew is local.

The crazy thing is that the casino in Hollywood just south of here today wasn't getting their normal foot traffic either this year. Things are changing quick. Government spending is in my opinion keeping this society together for now yet not for long cause they crushed private enterprise. Most people that are doing good today are tied into government spending

amy31416
04-04-2013, 12:41 AM
I've never been a cashier, but it looks ridiculously easy to me. Computers and scanners do almost everything now. The bag boy's job looks harder.

It is if you can do basic math, but you'd be surprised how many can not.

abacabb
04-04-2013, 04:11 AM
You know I am at a hotel right now on the beach in south Hutchinson island Florida. Last year I was in the same room looking at the same 2 lane road being torn up and one lane closed down around this island. I finally started wondering what's going on here how long will this take to complete. I've grown up around the yellow cones in Michigan. This is spring break a busy time of the year for Florida yet these restaurants and shops look pretty dead and bleak. I decided to ask some locals what the deal was with the permanent road crews was and I got responses like 'it keeps people working'. I then asked an actual road crew member and he asked me 'are you going to be at the room again next year?'

I said maybe. He said well you will see us out here next year. He said its time and materials and everyone on the crew is local.

The crazy thing is that the casino in Hollywood just south of here today wasn't getting their normal foot traffic either this year. Things are changing quick. Government spending is in my opinion keeping this society together for now yet not for long cause they crushed private enterprise. Most people that are doing good today are tied into government spending
True. Half of my family makes nearly all their money working for the government or the company has contracts with the government.

MRK
04-04-2013, 05:42 AM

It does seem like its paying well in my area. I had a cable guy come to my parents apartment and install cable/phone/internet and he said he personally got over $400 in his pocket for a 2.5 hour job. Somehow college graduates are brainwashed to where such jobs are beneath them. Its crazy, corporations make a killing on attitudes like this. You look at research surveys and it turns out most people want an indoor desk job with a salary by an overwhelming majority even though these are the kind of jobs that dont pay that well (probably because people will accept lower pay for an 'ideal' scenario.

EBounding
04-04-2013, 07:05 AM
My local McDonald's actually has a very impressive operation. I don't know if they have any college grads working cashier, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of the managers had a degree. It's on a busy road near a large hospital so they always have customers. Even at peak periods, after you order you are literally out of the drive-thru in less than a minute. I have yet to see a better fast-food process even at other McDonalds.

Michigan11
04-04-2013, 11:25 AM
True. Half of my family makes nearly all their money working for the government or the company has contracts with the government.

Yep and I bet those that are tied in with gov spending in their jobs are making the most with few exceptions. A book should be written in the subject really. This economy is truly exceptional to the time period in which we live. The few supporting the many with efficiency as the means to be able to accomplish this feat

bolil
04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
if you don't walk in, your don't get hired.. Thats been my experience with fastfood and other jobs.

lol@degree worship

Professor8000
04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm a high school drop out who works with several college educated people making the same amount of money as them. Unlike them, I own two vehicles and am in no debt. My job allows me to study a lot while at work so I happen to be working on getting a CCNA certification and going into the tech trade. I'm only 23, but I'm doing better financially than my 30-40 year old colleagues who are still trying to pay off student loans. Of course, I'm not your average high school drop out. I'm not an illiterate idiot. I know plenty of College educated individuals who can barely make intelligible sentences, so those pieces of paper that schools give to their students for jumping through their hoops is no measure of education and definitely not a measure of intelligence. Hell, I wouldn't even say that it's a measure of skills either.

heavenlyboy34
04-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm a high school drop out who works with several college educated people making the same amount of money as them. Unlike them, I own two vehicles and am in no debt. My job allows me to study a lot while at work so I happen to be working on getting a CCNA certification and going into the tech trade. I'm only 23, but I'm doing better financially than my 30-40 year old colleagues who are still trying to pay off student loans. Of course, I'm not your average high school drop out. I'm not an illiterate idiot. I know plenty of College educated individuals who can barely make intelligible sentences, so those pieces of paper that schools give to their students for jumping through their hoops is no measure of education and definitely not a measure of intelligence. Hell, I wouldn't even say that it's a measure of skills either.
Exactly. But if our ever-wise FedGov had not passed the ADA, employers would be allowed to test employees for intelligence. The degree requirement is their way of getting around ADA requirements. (unfortunately and predictably, that didn't work out too well. A surprisingly large number of people graduate college as functional illiterates and/or innumerates. Typical government fail.)

Brian4Liberty
04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
My local McDonald's actually has a very impressive operation. I don't know if they have any college grads working cashier, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of the managers had a degree. It's on a busy road near a large hospital so they always have customers. Even at peak periods, after you order you are literally out of the drive-thru in less than a minute. I have yet to see a better fast-food process even at other McDonalds.

Last time I went to McDonald's, it took them forever, and then they screwed up the order on top of that. The receipt gave two numbers to call if you had problems with your order, and no one was answering either of them.

heavenlyboy34
04-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Last time I went to McDonald's, it took them forever, and then they screwed up the order on top of that. The receipt gave two numbers to call if you had problems with your order, and no one was answering either of them.

SMH...so pathetic that all I can do is lol. :)

osan
04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2526145?slideout=1

Fantastically good news. I look forward to ever greater meddling and screwing up by government because we as a statistical whole have proven so stupid and lazy that nothing less, if anything, will get up to finally pull our heads from the dark place.

Go Obama! Go Congress! Go SCOTUS! Push, push PUSH, because if we refuse to throw them off then as far as I am concerned we deserve their taking a gigantic shit on us.

abacabb
04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Yep and I bet those that are tied in with gov spending in their jobs are making the most with few exceptions. A book should be written in the subject really. This economy is truly exceptional to the time period in which we live. The few supporting the many with efficiency as the means to be able to accomplish this feat
Dude, you have no clue.
Even my wife's, who is from another country, father works for a radio station that is essentially funded by the U.S. government. In my own family it crosses national boundaries. If you take my mother, who is almost perpetually on unemployment, she'd be the one example of people on the government dole, but that simply don't work for it.

MRK
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Exactly. But if our ever-wise FedGov had not passed the ADA, employers would be allowed to test employees for intelligence. The degree requirement is their way of getting around ADA requirements. (unfortunately and predictably, that didn't work out too well. A surprisingly large number of people graduate college as functional illiterates and/or innumerates. Typical government fail.)

You can say you're a member of Mensa on your resume if you want to namedrop your IQ (Mensa requires tests that demonstrate 98th percentile + of IQ). Personally however I think IQ is a silly concept, especially considering when I was a Mensa member in the 90's (I was really young) all I remembered was a bunch of people bickering back and forth in each monthly newsletter about trivial matters and semantics, so maybe it's not such a good qualifier after all.

heavenlyboy34
04-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Fantastically good news. I look forward to ever greater meddling and screwing up by government because we as a statistical whole have proven so stupid and lazy that nothing less, if anything, will get up to finally pull our heads from the dark place.

Go Obama! Go Congress! Go SCOTUS! Push, push PUSH, because if we refuse to throw them off then as far as I am concerned we deserve their taking a gigantic shit on us.
I agree. I expressed this sentiment a while back when we were discussing some welfare program or another (pretty sure it was SSI disability, but IDR). I took some berating from conservatives on the forum, though. :/

osan
04-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Oh I have one far worse than that. When I was living in Portland ca. '03 I saw an ad for an IT position. The litany of must-have requirements was almost stupefying. I had perhaps 70% of them and my experience is quite extensive. Nobody walking the planet possessed all the skills listed and in the degrees demanded. They were offering $10/hr. I was so astounded by it I had to fight the urge to call them and tell them what complete idiots they were. Hell, over in Camas HP was offering $11/hr to do nothing but test printers.

DamianTV
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
What cracks me up about the article is that McDonalds complains that Microsoft takes all the smart people with visas, and they get left with the cream of the crap. I mean really, grow a brain, or fuck, borrow someone elses for two seconds. If you had a choice to come to the US and work for McDonalds with McDonalds wages or work for Microsoft with Microsoft wages, even as a janiotr, which would you prefer? But the proposed solution to allow as many immigrants into the country as they want makes it even more ridiculus. "Lets not do anything to improve anything at home, just employ everyone else in the world except for the residents of the country in which that office building operates."

They still wonder why we call them McJobs.

They also wonder why they are now going on strike.

MelissaWV
04-04-2013, 04:23 PM
What cracks ME up is that there's no mention of a degree being required on the McD's site in the ad for this very job, but the thread just keeps on goin'...

Michigan11
04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Get ready for the revolt and then the revolution to throw these pions from their pedistales

DamianTV
04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
What cracks ME up is that there's no mention of a degree being required on the McD's site in the ad for this very job, but the thread just keeps on goin'...

I think that is mostly because the job itself is no longer listed...

Sorry this position is no longer available on our site. Please register to search the latest jobs.

Now, just examining the news article itself:

Crew (Cashiers)

Contract type : Full Time

Positions available : 1

Experience required : 1-2 Years

Studies level required : Bachelor Degree

Weekly working duration : Full Time

There is a possiblity of the story to be bogus. But the information came from somewhere. Possibly copied and pasted, and possibly made up BS.

The problem here is that we've all pretty much seen the ridiculus requirements that employers are coming up with. We've all seen the retardedly low wages. We've all seen the scams they pull by claiming Full Time is 20 hours per week. We've all seen employers limit hours so they dont have to pay health insurance. The list goes on and on. Credit Checks for those that were laid off and lost their homes through no fault of their own suddenly makes it a crime to be poor or to have been a victim of the Economic Collapse. Employers requiring that employees do not use Tobacco Products in any way shape or from while NOT at work. Employers demanding passwords to Facebook accounts. Employers demanding more and more and more, we get less and less and less. We've seen enough Masters Degrees on Food Stamps. We've seen enough stories on "The Educated Poor". We've seen enough excuses for getting rid of an emplyee, maybe because a family member covered by their health insurance needs to use that health insurance to save their life (Wells Fargo), and are immediately terminated. We've seen nothing short of an exponential increase in the level of abuse by employers, while the employees spiral the drain.

I agree that you are wise to take this story with a grain of salt and question its credibility, as we all do well to approach everything with at least a small degree of skepticism. But we have all seen shit from employers that would not have even been dreamt of in the previous century. In a way, most of us actually EXPECT that a news story like this, if not this one, but soon enough will soon be completely true.

MelissaWV
04-04-2013, 04:56 PM
I stated earlier that it seems more like a case of the person posting it at "JobDiagnosis" (never heard of it) screwed up.

Go to the actual MCDONALD'S website and look at the job.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z74bh5.png

It looked like this when I examined it earlier in the thread, too. Even the managers do not have degree requirements listed.

I have seen some astounding errors on job sites, mostly because almost no one looks at the final ad for whatever reason. They are content to supply the information and hope it displays properly.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/mDMWB.jpg

http://www.jibberjobber.com/blog/wp-content/monster_worst_job_ever.png

Okay this last one isn't an ad for a job, but it does show that people need to read things more closely ;)

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles/a195_m1.jpg

Brian4Liberty
04-04-2013, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ZZWQIl-ws

DamianTV
04-04-2013, 05:09 PM
"looooooooks"

ROFL@MelissaWV

I agree, pay cloooser atttentiooons!

madengr
04-04-2013, 05:55 PM
It's all inflated in the past 20 years:

Bachelors is the new high school degree
Masters is the new bachelors
PhD is the new masters

All the vocational schools (high school programs) were gutted in the early 90's so you have no useful skills straight out of high school.

The McDonald's line workers are supposed to be teenagers, not people trying to make a living wage, or illegal aliens.

heavenlyboy34
04-04-2013, 06:17 PM
It's all inflated in the past 20 years:

Bachelors is the new high school degree
Masters is the new bachelors
PhD is the new masters

All the vocational schools (high school programs) were gutted in the early 90's so you have no useful skills straight out of high school.

The McDonald's line workers are supposed to be teenagers, not people trying to make a living wage, or illegal aliens.
Truth. However, Paradise Valley high school had a good vo-tech program (which served the entire PV United School District) as recently as '99. Not sure what it's like now. I learned welding there.

It really is terrible that so many vo-tech programs were cut or ended in recent years....at the same time, they seem to have enough money for new sports venues. :rolleyes: :P

kahless
04-04-2013, 06:23 PM
This is another by-product of the mainstream media and the globalist elite in DC pushing the degree requirement for everything.

madengr
04-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Truth. However, Paradise Valley high school had a good vo-tech program (which served the entire PV United School District) as recently as '99. Not sure what it's like now. I learned welding there.

It really is terrible that so many vo-tech programs were cut or ended in recent years....at the same time, they seem to have enough money for new sports venues. :rolleyes: :P

Ditto. I took electronics, half days, last two years of HS in 89-90. They also had electrical, auto mechanics, auto body, machining, masonry, carpentry, drafting, etc.. Electronics was stopped in '94 along with many others.

Now 20 years later there is STEM shortage (IMHO it is a sham shortage to drive down labor cost) and there are many after school robotics competitions, etc, however that does not make up for having structured classes during the school day. What the hell are the doing in HS these days if they are not teaching anything?

heavenlyboy34
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Ditto. I took electronics, half days, last two years of HS in 89-90. They also had electrical, auto mechanics, auto body, machining, masonry, carpentry, drafting, etc.. Electronics was stopped in '94 along with many others.

Now 20 years later there is STEM shortage (IMHO it is a sham shortage to drive down labor cost) and there are many after school robotics competitions, etc, however that does not make up for having structured classes during the school day. What the hell are the doing in HS these days if they are not teaching anything?
Probably fluff classes like typing and home ec. :P

ETA: you inspired me to look it up. My old HS is just plain mediocre WRT academics, especially maths and sciences. AIMS (Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards ) results 2009-12 http://www.greatschools.org/arizona/phoenix/1193-Shadow-Mountain-High-School/?tab=test-scores