PDA

View Full Version : does the 2nd amendment include swords? guard dogs?

cindy25
04-03-2013, 01:43 AM
it says keep and bare arms, not keep and bare guns

just wondering if it could be used as an argument against anti-dog laws

MRK
04-03-2013, 05:22 AM
You would thing a sword would fit the bill without question.

But then you remember what the fedcoats think of the constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_knife

Both of these are illegal when involved in interstate commerce sales. Meaning it's illegal to import them and illegal to trade across state boundaries. Also can't take them onto federal property. Apparently they are legal to possess, however.

kcchiefs6465
04-03-2013, 08:11 AM
As I understand it there are state statutes banning switch blades and butterfly knives. Same as you can't have a fixed blade knife carry concealed and that folding blade knifes blades may not be over 3 1/2 inches long. I was under the impression ballistic knives were always banned or possilby even classified as an AOW? (though I suppose if they just use a spring they shouldn't be) Could be wrong on all this and mainly just know my state's laws. (not the state I currently reside in, btw)

jbauer
04-03-2013, 08:16 AM
No the 2nd amendment says keep and bear arms. That means guns. You might have an argument for the sword since you can hold it, however, the court ruleings said it had to be a common and ordinary use. I don't see a whole lot of knights walking around with battle swords.

As for the dog. Doesn't qualify. If you have an obnoxious barking dog or it has hurt people it shouldn't have you as the owner bear the responsibility for that.

VBRonPaulFan
04-03-2013, 08:17 AM
it says keep and bare arms, not keep and bare guns

just wondering if it could be used as an argument against anti-dog laws

i dunno, you could always just read the 2nd amendment?

provide himself with a good musket or firelock

definition of firelock:

A firearm in which the priming is ignited by sparks.

VBRonPaulFan
04-03-2013, 08:18 AM
You would thing a sword would fit the bill without question.

But then you remember what the fedcoats think of the constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_knife

Both of these are illegal when involved in interstate commerce sales. Meaning it's illegal to import them and illegal to trade across state boundaries. Also can't take them onto federal property. Apparently they are legal to possess, however.

the 2A also says that anyone in the militia should possess a bayonet, which is pretty damn close to a sword. i'd have a pretty fun time watching someone try to explain why bayonets are okay, but swords are not.

erowe1
04-03-2013, 08:27 AM
The Second Amendment doesn't matter. No one has the right to stop you from having a guard dog no matter what the Constitution says.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-03-2013, 08:27 AM
the 2A also says that anyone in the militia should possess a bayonet, which is pretty damn close to a sword. i'd have a pretty fun time watching someone try to explain why bayonets are okay, but swords are not.

You're right. It's pretty much a sword, with a gun for a handle.

As I understand it there are state statutes banning switch blades and butterfly knives.

What is the deal with banning butterfly knives? I mean, it all seems like arbitrary bullshit, but I don't see how a butterfly knife is in any way superior to a fixed blade knife or a regular pocket knife. The opening motion must be the longest and least stealthy thing I've ever seen. Wtf would their justification be? Asian origin?

erowe1
04-03-2013, 08:29 AM
What is the deal with banning butterfly knives? I mean, it all seems like arbitrary bullshit, but I don't see how a butterfly knife is in any way superior to a fixed blade knife or a regular pocket knife. The opening motion must be the longest and least stealthy thing I've ever seen. Wtf would their justification be? Asian origin?

I assume that bans on switchblades came about before other kinds of fast-opening pocket knives existed, and then these other kinds came about as a way of getting around the switchblade ban.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
I assume that bans on switchblades came about before other kinds of fast-opening pocket knives existed, and then these other kinds came about as a way of getting around the switchblade ban.

Well, I don't mean to derail the thread into a knife discussion, but fixed blade knives are already open, and butterfly knives... well, I just wouldn't call them fast opening, and certainly not discreet. I suppose you are right that they just started piling things onto their "lists."

jbauer
04-03-2013, 08:34 AM
The Second Amendment doesn't matter. No one has the right to stop you from having a guard dog no matter what the Constitution says.

Unless his guard dog has infringed on someone elses rights you would be correct. Regardless the dog doesn't fall under the 2nd ammendment.

VBRonPaulFan
04-03-2013, 08:38 AM
What is the deal with banning butterfly knives?

it was probably related to trying to stem gang violence in the 90's i'd imagine.

kcchiefs6465
04-03-2013, 08:47 AM
it was probably related to trying to stem gang violence in the 90's i'd imagine.
Yeah, this. Most likely because they are 'intimidating.' Anyone can practice with any folding knife and open it about as fast as a switch blade. It's pretty ridiculous to ban switch blades or spring assisted knives or whatever. If no crime was committed with them, no crime was committed.

fisharmor
04-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Where did any of you get the idea that we have a right to anything in this country?
The 2nd Amendment certainly isn't about guns. One need only look at the number of gun infringements that happen here daily to see that.

July
04-03-2013, 09:28 AM
There are sword control laws in Japan. I don't doubt there would be legislation to try and ban them here in the US, if they were as popular or if they were as symbolic to American culture as guns are. And yep I think swords and other kinds of arms should be covered under the second amendment as well. But I think guns are targeted most of all, because as I said, they are also a very specific cultural icon and symbolic to American identity, and gun ownership invokes ideas about freedom, independence, self reliance, etc....

And there have been attempts to ban or control ownership of certain breeds of dogs that are deemed too dangerous like Pit Bulls, etc. Bulldogs are banned in quite a few countries I think.

Schifference
04-03-2013, 02:39 PM
I remember looking into knives several years ago and the impression I developed at that time was that you would be less likely to be prosecuted if you shoot someone rather than stab them.