PDA

View Full Version : The Nation asks, "Why Was Paul Krugman So Wrong?"

sailingaway
04-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Mind you, I don't think they intended to start a conversation but quickly sweep under any straying thoughts, and they focus on what they call 'free' trade which is strangle hold managed trade for the well connected few, but here ya go:

Paul Krugman, the popular columnist and Nobel economist, recently likened himself to heroic dissenters who stood up to the war whoops and opposed the invasion of Iraq. The go-to-war consensus among policy elites overwhelmed skeptics and tragedy ensued. Professor Krugman evidently sees himself playing a similar role on important economic controversies.

“What we should have learned from the Iraq debacle was that you should always be skeptical and that you should never rely on supposed authority,” Krugman wrote in his New York Times column. “If you hear that ‘everyone’ supports a policy, whether it’s a war of choice or fiscal austerity, you should ask whether ‘everyone’ has been defined to exclude anyone expressing a different opinion.”

Good advice and good for Krugman. But there's a peculiar snag in his declaration: Paul Krugman was himself a “supposed authority” who gravely misled the American public on how to think about free-trade globalization. As threatening losses and dislocations accumulated for the US, the celebrated economist was like Voltaire’s Dr. Pangloss, assuring everyone not to worry. Pay no attention to those critics dwelling on the dark side of globalization, he said. Economic theory confirms that free trade is the best of all possible policies in this best of all possible worlds.

A good many Americans did not believe him, mainly working people who saw their jobs and middle-class wages decimated by the processes of globalizing production. Krugman said they didn’t see the big picture. Educated professionals whose own livelihoods were not threatened by globalization were more likely to embrace Krugman’s perspective. While he never won the debate with the broad public, his argument prevailed where it counts – among the political elites who influence government policy-making. Both political parties, every president from Reagan to Obama, embraced the same free-trade strategy: support US multinational corporations in global competition, as their success is bound to lift the rest of the country.

Roughly speaking, the opposite occurred, not only for the working class but for the broad US economy. The multinationals did fine, but the nation is now mired in large and permanent trade deficits that translate into huge indebtedness to foreign trading partners in Asia and Europe and that exerts continuing downward pressure on US employment and wages. Yet the Obama government is seeking still more free-trade agreements as the answer. The current fiscal debates in Congress do not even recognize that free trade globalization is a core source of America’s diminished prosperity.

more: http://www.thenation.com/article/173593/why-was-paul-krugman-so-wrong?rel=emailNation#

ababba
04-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Mind you, I don't think they intended to start a conversation but quickly sweep under any straying thoughts, and they focus on what they call 'free' trade which is strangle hold managed trade for the well connected few, but here ya go:

more: http://www.thenation.com/article/173593/why-was-paul-krugman-so-wrong?rel=emailNation#

So the enemy of my enemy is my friend even if that person is wrong and doesn't even present a good argument for their case?

sailingaway
04-02-2013, 03:03 PM
No, but I laughed when I realized 'The Nation' of all sites was posing this question, then laughed again when I saw that even when they had the question right they were asking it wrong (imho.)

I thought others might be tickled as well, at least that they were questioning this guy.

The Gold Standard
04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
As bad as things are now, I shudder to think of how destitute we would be if we didn't have people around the world willing to produce things for us for almost nothing. We would have union shops making plasma TVs that cost five times as much and only the politicians could afford them. We wouldn't have to worry about Obamaphones or texting-and-driving laws. The peasant class could go home with their inflated pay and have half as much wealth as they do now.

Danan
04-02-2013, 04:47 PM
So we are supposed to question the one thing Krugman was right about?

A Son of Liberty
04-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Oops! Do not look at the man behind the curtain!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE