PDA

View Full Version : New York police sued for pepper-spraying 5-month-old baby

sailingaway
04-02-2013, 09:34 AM
The New York City Police Department (NYPD) is being sued by a woman who says that officers violated her civil rights when they pepper-sprayed her entire family — including a 2-year-old child and a 5-month-old baby.

In the lawsuit obtained by Courthouse News Service on Monday, Marilyn Taylor accuses Officers Maripily Clase, Suranjit Dey and Jermaine Hodge overacting when they saw her pushing the stroller through a service entrance instead of going through the subway turnstile.

According to the complaint, officers told her 4-year-old child that “everything will be OK,” but then began pepper-spraying the entire family.

“The pepper-spray caused the children to scream out and choked the two-year old, who went into fits of vomiting,” the lawsuit says. “Ms. Taylor was then placed in handcuffs as the minor children cried in fear and pain.”

The next day, the court agreed give Taylor an adjournment in contemplation of a dismissal, allowing the charges to be dropped if she stayed out of trouble.

But things did not turn out as well for the children, who she said continue to need medical attention because of the pepper spray.

“After the attack, mother and father suffered ongoing eye injuries and all three children suffer emotional harms, and are now afraid to ride the subways and become afraid when they see police officers,” the lawsuit notes. “The four year-old cried herself to sleep for weeks, and after the incident the two-year-old began waking up in the night crying for her mother.”

Taylor also claimed that her family has continued to be harassed by officers since the incident, “forcing them to avoid the MTA through the Atlantic Avenue stop.”

“The family seeks punitive damages for civil rights violations, assault, battery, negligence, and violations to the state and federal constitutions,” Courthouse News Service reported.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/01/new-york-police-sued-for-pepper-spraying-5-month-old-baby/

Bern
04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Sounds like she was a terrorist.

phill4paul
04-02-2013, 09:48 AM
It's for the childre.... oh, wait.

tasteless
04-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Those kids were coming right for them!

asurfaholic
04-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Wow hope she wins some mega taxpayer cash

brushfire
04-02-2013, 10:06 AM
"no hesitation" - its working.

JK/SEA
04-02-2013, 10:12 AM
most likely the kids were annoying the cop.....you know, crying, acting up, being disrespectful.....

fisharmor
04-02-2013, 10:39 AM
all three children.... become afraid when they see police officers

I don't get why police officers don't see that this is their own undoing.
I really don't.

If there are "good cops", if there are "smart cops", if there are "decent cops", then one of them MUST realize what they're doing here.
They're creating a situation where eventually "crazy people" like me are going to start making a lot of sense.
And then, we're going to be on our way to "no cops".

Are they really all this stupid?

sailingaway
04-02-2013, 10:41 AM
There are a lot of good cops. But we are seeing more and more of the type of people who are drawn to abuse of power, I have to presume.

kcchiefs6465
04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
There are a lot of good cops. But we are seeing more and more of the type of people who are drawn to abuse of power, I have to presume.
Are there any that are speaking out against this? Aside from the Chief of Police who undoubtedly said that it doesn't sound like his officers and that he'd launch an investigation, that is.

Seems like a systemic problem to me.

shane77m
04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
It seems like a lawsuit should be the least of the cops problems.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't get this at all.

When we visited NYC at Christmas, my four year old was told by a MTA cop to go UNDER the turnstile, and helped watch her as me and my wife swiped the card to go through. Cop said "Merry Christmas, Welcome to New York".

Anti Federalist
04-02-2013, 11:37 AM
The OP is just a "negative Nellie", posting cop bashing stories that hurt Rand Paul, do nothing to achieve liberty, and make baby Jesus cry...

Or something.

kcchiefs6465
04-02-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't get this at all.

When we visited NYC at Christmas, my four year old was told by a MTA cop to go UNDER the turnstile, and helped watch her as me and my wife swiped the card to go through. Cop said "Merry Christmas, Welcome to New York".
Hopefully he speaks out against these abuses committted by his bretheren.

Or because of some reason or another, he can't?

phill4paul
04-02-2013, 11:42 AM
The OP is just a "negative Nellie", posting cop bashing stories that hurt Rand Paul, do nothing to achieve liberty, and make baby Jesus cry...

Or something.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4685767324730854&pid=15.1

NCGOPer_for_Paul
04-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Or something.

I'm trying to figure out WHY the cops would do something like that. What kind of sick fuck would pepper spray a 5 month old? My point was that what I saw was cops TELLING the kids to avoid using the turnstiles.

Cops sound like they need to be pepper sprayed themselves.

phill4paul
04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Might have to order me this sweater next Christmas.......

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/assets_c/2011/12/rsz_peppersprayjesus-thumb-550x411.jpg

kcchiefs6465
04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm trying to figure out WHY the cops would do something like that. What kind of sick fuck would pepper spray a 5 month old? My point was that what I saw was cops TELLING the kids to avoid using the turnstiles.

Cops sound like they need to be pepper sprayed themselves.
Most likely they didn't mean to pepper spray the children. If you spray that stuff it goes everywhere. Especially if the wind was blowing.

satchelmcqueen
04-02-2013, 02:39 PM
fucking bullshit!. i seriously hope every one of those cops suffer for this. spraying kids and then the court ""The next day, the court agreed give Taylor an adjournment in contemplation of a dismissal, allowing the charges to be dropped if she stayed out of trouble."" ???? really???

im sweating im somad right now. i couldnt imagine my 1yr old being sprayed. and for what???going through a service entrance?? bullshit!!

belian78
04-02-2013, 02:56 PM
fucking bullshit!. i seriously hope every one of those cops suffer for this. spraying kids and then the court ""The next day, the court agreed give Taylor an adjournment in contemplation of a dismissal, allowing the charges to be dropped if she stayed out of trouble."" ???? really???

im sweating im somad right now. i couldnt imagine my 1yr old being sprayed. and for what???going through a service entrance?? bullshit!!
Everyday I find myself wondering when it's going to start. When and where will someone finally take a stand and be that martyr against these pigs. Course, for all we know it could have already started. IF the news reported it at all, it would be a 'lone nut cop killer'.

Texan4Life
04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Those kids were coming right for them!

LMAO

DamianTV
04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
"The Police Officer was acquitted of any charges of wrongdoing where his order of 'Do NOT Go Poopy In Your Pants' that was issued to the newborn infant were found to be Reasonable by the Just-Us System."

fisharmor
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Everyday I find myself wondering when it's going to start. When and where will someone finally take a stand and be that martyr against these pigs. Course, for all we know it could have already started. IF the news reported it at all, it would be a 'lone nut cop killer'.

For those who have never seen it, this is what is possible outside the "land of the free and the home of the brave".

http://youtu.be/rBfEh4aBt1g

DamianTV
04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
For those who have never seen it, this is what is possible outside the "land of the free and the home of the brave".

http://youtu.be/rBfEh4aBt1g

Which leads me to ask, is this really the home of the brave where the brave shoot / tazer / pepper spray anything that remotely frightens them, or is it more brave to say let me approach this potentially scarry situation and confront my own inner fears?

Hint: Bravery is not pepper spraying 5 month olds.

Cleaner44
04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Wow hope she wins some mega taxpayer cash

I hope she wins all of the taxpayer cash. Let the state go broke and shut down their failure. All that would be left would be... freedom.

Origanalist
04-02-2013, 08:51 PM

Amen and + rep.

DamianTV
04-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Yeah, but the cops are protected by the Just-Us system...

Origanalist
04-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Yeah, but the cops are protected by the Just-Us system...

Didn't work in Texas...

Origanalist
04-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Which leads me to ask, is this really the home of the brave where the brave shoot / tazer / pepper spray anything that remotely frightens them, or is it more brave to say let me approach this potentially scarry situation and confront my own inner fears?

Hint: Bravery is not pepper spraying 5 month olds.

Don't forget those brave soldiers "piloting" drones and killing people thousands of miles away.

PaulConventionWV
04-02-2013, 10:57 PM
I hope she wins all of the taxpayer cash. Let the state go broke and shut down their failure. All that would be left would be... freedom.

And bitcoins. :p

PaulConventionWV
04-02-2013, 11:01 PM
I seriously don't understand how this went down, though. So they go through the service gate or whatever instead of the turnstile, and the cop just walks up to them and says "You can't do that," and the kid says "I'm scared." The cops say "It'll be alright", then proceeds to casually pull out his pepper spray can, shake it a few times and let loose with it like he was painting a fence?

I mean, that doesn't sound like something a human being would do in any situation, no matter who they are. The story doesn't really explain how it happened, though, so this is the image I'm left with. Does anyone have the over and under on how this played out?

JK/SEA
04-02-2013, 11:19 PM
pepper spraying little children no matter the reason is bullshit.

kcchiefs6465
04-02-2013, 11:23 PM
pepper spraying little children no matter the reason is bullshit.
If you spray pepper spray someone, anyone in the general vicinity is going to be affected by it. Makes it hards to breathe and burns the skin. I would doubt that this police officer meant to pepper spray the children. He was just such an idiot that he didn't realize they would be affected by it as well.

Not excusing his actions, but I would doubt anyone would deliberately spray a 5 month old with pepper spray.

Mach
04-02-2013, 11:26 PM
The kids were lucky, if the cops didn't have pepper spray, they would have to have been beat on, or shot.

It was for the good of the people.... move along.

Mani
04-02-2013, 11:36 PM
The children were menacing....The officer felt threatened.....Ummm....OK wait....maybe that doesnt work.....how about...the 5 month old took an aggressive posture and nashed her teeth...officer safety and the safety of everyone around....hmmm...the baby didn't have teeth....that doesn't work either....oh WAIT...I KNOW...

"All other options had been exhausted...the officers had no other choice...."

That one works in ALL scenarios...EVEN pepper spraying babies...GOTCHA.

Philhelm
04-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Police procedure was properly followed and the officer's intensive training saw him through the day.

phill4paul
04-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Police procedure was properly followed and the officer's intensive training saw him through the day.

CFC. No hesitation.

mrsat_98
04-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Maybe the five month old went for a gun.