PDA

View Full Version : The Fall of Dan Halloran?

Cowlesy
04-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Uhoh!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bribing_his_way_onto_the_ballot_3XFvV67oWZHFo7bVdo CkcO

Ten miles away at Halloran’s home in northern Queens, agents drove up in four unmarked cars and spread out to cover front and back entrances before raiding the councilman’s place. Halloran’s dog could be heard barking throughout the episode.

After less than a half hour, Halloran emerged in custody, wearing blue jeans, a blue sweatshirt and a stunned look on his face.

Smith was trying to buy off Republican leaders because he needed the party’s support in at least three boroughs in order to run as a GOP candidate without even changing his own party affiliation, the sources said.

“It’s incredible,” a source said of the alleged plot.

To get on the GOP ballot, Smith allegedly enlisted Halloran, a Republican, to set up meetings with party leaders and negotiate thousands of dollars in bribes. The money was masked as payments for legal and accounting services, sources said.

Halloran allegedly collected thousands in bribes for himself along the way, the sources said.

He is separately charged with taking bribes from a consultant in return for up to $80,000 in City Council discretionary funding.

The feds were already investigating Halloran when they got wind of the alleged ballot-manipulating plan in November, the sources said. Smith met with his alleged co-conspirators as recently as February.

Edit: And I should say, he is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. But it sounds like there is quite the case there. *sighs*

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 09:13 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bribing_his_way_onto_the_ballot_3XFvV67oWZHFo7bVdo CkcO

State Sen. Malcolm Smith and city Councilman Dan Halloran were arrested this morning on charges they were plotting to rig this year’s mayoral election through fraud and bribes.

The pols allegedly formed an alliance built on cash payments and fraud to get Smith — one of the state’s top Democrats — placed on the GOP mayoral ballot, sources said.

FBI agents arrested them both at their Queens homes shortly after 6 a.m.

more at link ^

angelatc
04-02-2013, 09:14 AM
The bribes were to be paid (to Republican county committeemen) to obtain specific certificates authorizing him to run for mayor as a Republican even though he was a registered Democrat.

With zero knowledge of New York law, based on the results we've had trying to get Republicans to play by the rules, I won't be surprised if the courts rule this is an internal party scandal, and not actually illegal at all.

Cowlesy
04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
With zero knowledge of New York law, based on the results we've had trying to get Republicans to play by the rules, I won't be surprised if the courts rule this is an internal party scandal, and not actually illegal at all.

To me it's just another reason to not touch local NYC politics with a 12-foot pole. In the Post article, they rattled off a bunch of other NYC GOP big wigs. At least with mayor candidate Catsimatidis, he's already a billionaire, so he can stay above this tit-for-tat $50k-style politics.

talkingpointes
04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
To me it's just another reason to not touch local NYC politics with a 12-foot pole. In the Post article, they rattled off a bunch of other NYC GOP big wigs. At least with mayor candidate Catsimatidis, he's already a billionaire, so he can stay above this tit-for-tat $50k-style politics.

Normally I would disagree and say that local is where it's at. But New York state is truly a lost cause.

talkingpointes
04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
After a quick google he is the chair of the New York Liberty caucus..

http://www.rlc.org/about/chapters/ny/

http://www.pressherald.com/news/nyc-councilman-highlights-republican-liberty-caucus-event_2012-08-20.html

Let this piece of shit burn. Seriously. People wonder why some of us are so hard on eachother for principles. This is the type that want the BIG TENT approach.

"I think that our party needs to look at its big tent a little more objectively," he said. "Sometimes we miss the forest for the trees. Ron Paul is an example of that. He brought millions of young people into the discussion."

Brian4Liberty
04-02-2013, 12:48 PM
The libertarian movement has always had its fair share of scammers.

NY-Dano
04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
This whole situation stinks all around. I will say it does look a bit convenient that Halloran and Smith were caught up in this. Smith is part of the small independent democratic caucus which is allowing the GOP control of the State Senate. This and anti-SAFE Act Assemblyman Steve Katz getting pulled over and found in possession of marijuana a couple weeks ago seems suspicious. I'm not one for crazy conspiracies, but I feel like orders are coming down from Cuomo's office. My assemblyman here in Brooklyn was accused of sexual harassment and censured after he tried to go up against and primary the incumbent congresswoman. It all seems fishy.

talkingpointes
04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
The libertarian movement has always had its fair share of scammers.

Nothing like the two parties though. Congressional ratings haven't gone higher then 10% for almost a decade now.

NY-Dano
04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Nothing like the two parties though. Congressional ratings haven't gone higher then 10% for almost a decade now.

To be fair, incumbent ratings are generally fairly high in their own districts. Congressional approval ratings are mostly meaningless because most people just blame the rest of Congress (and the 'other' party) from getting in the way of their own congressman/woman in bringing home the bacon.

Peace&Freedom
04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Both are noted to be relatively independent officials, as far as NYC pols go. Could this have been concocted as a convenient way to dispose of them? It's possible that Smith and Halloran were set up by the FBI informant, who depending on how the evidence rolls could have advocated and instigated the bribery scenario. If Smith perceived the GOP had no strong candidate available to run, and given the 20 year track record the city has for giving a non-democratic candidate a chance to win, why would he mess things up with bribes? Some things about this don't make sense.

Cowlesy
04-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Both are noted to be relatively independent officials, as far as NYC pols go. Could this have been concocted as a convenient way to dispose of them? It's possible that Smith and Halloran were set up by the FBI informant, who depending on how the evidence rolls could have advocated and instigated the bribery scenario. If Smith perceived the GOP had no strong candidate available to run, and given the 20 year track record the city has for giving a non-democratic candidate a chance to win, why would he mess things up with bribes? Some things about this don't make sense.

Hope you're right. Sometimes I think the city functions in spite of the politicians.

Cowlesy
04-02-2013, 06:07 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/fbi-busts-state-sen-malcolm-smith-mayoral-election-rigging-plot-article-1.1305327

The corruption complaint that left state Sen. Malcolm Smith and City Councilman Dan Halloran in handcuffs Tuesday was stunning in both its brazen details and the business-as-usual tone of its participants.
Halloran, captured on a surreptitious government tape, explained the approach simply last September after allegedly pocketing a $7,500 payoff:
“You can’t do anything without the f------ money,” the Queens Republican declared. “... Money is what greases the wheels — good, bad or indifferent.”

But it was Halloran who emerged as the greed-driven Gordon Gekko of the scheme, exposing his affinity for graft and his misplaced ambition while angling for Smith to become the Republican nominee for mayor.
Halloran, during a Jan. 31 meeting, declared that he needed money to get his “mortgage situation resolved,” according to the complaint. He is legally separated from his wife.

Halloran, during a Sept. 27, 2012 meeting with an undercover FBI agent and a federal informant, actually clinked glasses with the pair after collecting $6,500 in illegal campaign checks and promising a $20,000 payback in City Council funds.
“Pleasure doing business with you,” declared the informant — Morris Stern, a Rockland County resident whose reach extended into the five boroughs.

Halloran boasted the $20,000 request was actually a low-ball figure: “That’s easy, not even an issue ... I might be able to get you even more.”

Looks like they got him on tape bragging about passing around envelopes.

If it's true, wow.

libertyjam
04-03-2013, 05:26 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/fbi-busts-state-sen-malcolm-smith-mayoral-election-rigging-plot-article-1.1305327

Looks like they got him on tape bragging about passing around envelopes.

If it's true, wow.

What, You thought that Clay Davis was just a caricature of the corrupt politician? No Sir, he was the real thing! Sheeeee-et.

If anyone doesn't know who Clay Davis is, they seriously need to go back and watch all 5 seasons of The Wire

Cowlesy
04-03-2013, 10:14 AM
I propose that we run credit checks on candidates before supporting them if we don't know them personally. Good grief!!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/now_dan_is_better_off_debt_gpeaIO4Q2Dpr4oOuRsNDBJ

Queens City Councilman Dan Halloran was struggling with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and recovering from a painful divorce when he engaged in an alleged extortion scheme to deliver Republican ballot access to Sen. Malcolm Smith’s bid for mayor, sources said yesterday.

The woman who sold Halloran his Flushing home claims he owes her up to $150,000 on the 2005 transaction.

“Halloran stopped returning my phone calls four months ago,” Christine Comoglio told The Post.

Under the agreement, Halloran signed a promissory note to pay Comoglio the additional $150,000 on top of the mortgage he secured for the property at 157-05 28th Ave.

Halloran also was in arrears on his mortgage. Wells Fargo filed a complaint against the Hallorans in 2010 for missing six monthly payments on the $359,650 debt.

And his ex-wife, Cynthia, had racked up tens of thousands of dollars in debt on her American Express credit card. She had entered a settlement agreement to pay off the $24,000 in outstanding debt, records show.

The couple divorced in 2010, records show.

Comoglio, who has been contacted by federal authorities about Halloran’s debt, said she entered into the unusual arrangement with the councilman because he was a friend of her boyfriend.

And Comoglio said she even agreed to cover one of his mortgage payments when he was unable to do so.

In retrospect, the personal loan was a “bad idea,” Comoglio said. She said she filed a complaint against him with the Nassau County Bar Association about his improper dealings.

“When he stopped calling me, I became incredibly disgusted,” she said.

Despite his money woes, Comoglio said Halloran seemed to live well and was able to keep his two cars — including a Jaguar.

Halloran is considered one of the more colorful and controversial New York City council members.

More at the link above.

BAllen
04-03-2013, 10:19 AM
This whole situation stinks all around. I will say it does look a bit convenient that Halloran and Smith were caught up in this. Smith is part of the small independent democratic caucus which is allowing the GOP control of the State Senate. This and anti-SAFE Act Assemblyman Steve Katz getting pulled over and found in possession of marijuana a couple weeks ago seems suspicious. I'm not one for crazy conspiracies, but I feel like orders are coming down from Cuomo's office. My assemblyman here in Brooklyn was accused of sexual harassment and censured after he tried to go up against and primary the incumbent congresswoman. It all seems fishy.

Good points.

jbauer
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM

When's the last time you approved of more then 10% of the members of Congress?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Despite his money woes, Comoglio said Halloran seemed to live well and was able to keep his two cars — including a Jaguar.

I used to have a jaguar. I paid cash for it, 8-9 years old. I used to get the dirtiest looks from people, and I attribute the car itself to a few strange road rage incidents. The stupid thing is that the people hating on me were typically driving cars with 3 times the book value. I didn't have more money or better credit than them... I was just smarter about purchasing a car than they were. And they weren't even smart enough to know they were driving a much more expensive car.

The mortgage issue was probably a strategic default.

My point being... this article is clearly written in a manner to stir resentment, whether the allegations are true or not - and everything Cowlesy bolded shows how easily these tactics work.

Cowlesy
04-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I used to have a jaguar. I paid cash for it, 8-9 years old. I used to get the dirtiest looks from people, and I attribute the car itself to a few strange road rage incidents. The stupid thing is that the people hating on me were typically driving cars with 3 times the book value. I didn't have more money or better credit than them... I was just smarter about purchasing a car than they were. And they weren't even smart enough to know they were driving a much more expensive car.

The mortgage issue was probably a strategic default.

My point being... this article is clearly written in a manner to stir resentment, whether the allegations are true or not - and everything Cowlesy bolded shows how easily these tactics work.

Oh, I'm such a sucker, clearly. You got me, MSM.

Public officials are supposed to be good stewards of the public purse. If a man cannot even manage his own household, then I don't expect him to be able to manage public money.

It's one thing to be a bit behind on your mortgage or some credit cards, but if you're borrowing money from friends, having them make a payment for you, the bank is after you all the while. And it wasn't one of those faux jaguar S-Types or XF's, but a pretty decked out late model XJ vanden plas if memory serves me the one time I saw it (they have city council plates because they're so important).

And then I'm supposed to be okay with him tossing around envelopes full of cash? Nah.

I really hope he has a great explanation for all this and it's all a huge misunderstanding.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-03-2013, 11:27 AM
And it wasn't one of those faux jaguar S-Types or XF's, but a pretty decked out late model XJ vanden plas if memory serves me the one time I saw it (they have city council plates because they're so important).

It wasn't a dig on you, and no one expects you to be ok with bribery because of writing/propaganda tricks. You're clearly closer to the issue than I am, but I'll stick by my statement that the article was written to stir sentiment, and the things you bolded pretty much pointed it out. No reason for me to go bolding it after you already did. You bolded those things, yourself.

Even if he's 100% guilty as accused, that doesn't change what I believe to be the author's intent.