PDA

View Full Version : A 'brush fire of liberty' in Peabody -Ron Paul endorses Leah Cole 4 TUES vote in MA

sailingaway
03-27-2013, 09:36 PM
You who are old, and have fought the fight,

And have won or lost or left the fight,

Weigh us not down with fears of the world,

As we run!

— Cale Young Rice

I memorized this quote a long time ago, seems to me it was when I was young, about to become a taxpayer activist. Or maybe it was when I started to become cynical about politics, and reminding myself not to pass that on to younger activists. It came to mind on Friday evening.

I was at a “Special Election Countdown to Victory Reception” in Peabody for Leah Cole, a young woman who is running for state representative in Tuesday’s election, in the 12th Essex District recently represented by Joyce Spiliotis.

Citizens for Limited Taxation’s Proposition 21/2 PAC has endorsed Cole as the best choice for taxpayers, but I wouldn’t usually get personally involved in a legislative district other than my own. However, I don’t like the way she’s been dismissed as if she’s a freckle on the nose of the political complexion.

It’s been noted that there is much excitement about “a competitive race in Peabody Wards 1-4 and part of Ward 5” between a Democrat school committeewoman and a city councilor who is running as an independent but has pledged to caucus with the Democrats on Beacon Hill.

Just what we need, more Democrats on Beacon Hill. I thought Democrats were into “a balanced approach” and “fairness,” not to mention more women in elected office. The candidacy of one young woman is dismissed, as nearly as I can tell, only because she is young, and a Republican. This made me angry, so let me dismiss both those excuses for not supporting her.

Young. Yes, Leah Cole is 24 years old. Some of the people crowded into her reception Friday evening were younger than that. Many 20-somethings, like Salem’s Sean O’Brien, had become involved with the recent congressional campaign of Richard Tisei — who had just graduated from college when he won his first campaign for legislator, representing Wakefield.

I ran into old friends from that town whose young son, Evan Kenney, is running for School Committee in Wakefield this year. He’s been encouraged by Republican activist Brad Wyatt, who, inspired by Ron Paul, has been working on getting “Liberty Kids” to run for local office. He was at the Cole event all the way from Worcester, where he is encouraging another young woman to run for the seat precariously held by John Fresolo (D-Worcester, 49 years old), who is currently the object of an internal House ethics investigation.

One of the taxpayers’ best allies on Beacon Hill was Peter Forman (R-Plymouth), who also ran immediately after graduating from college and later became House minority leader. Back to our local area, remember Peter Torkildsen? He was 26 in 1984 when he ran for state representative in the 13th Essex District (parts of Danvers and Peabody), beat the powerful House Majority Leader Jack Murphy, later became our congressman.

Sen. Bruce Tarr was at the Cole event; he still doesn’t look much older than when he first ran, at 26.

So Leah Cole’s youth should not be a liability. We might not want all 160 House members to be young, but one or two ... well, let’s celebrate diversity! You may also be a Democrat who doesn’t want a Republican majority, but any politically aware observer should recognize that more balance in the Legislature would be a good thing for the commonwealth.

There is a new brand of Republican making its move across the nation, focused like Peabody’s young nurse on fiscal responsibility, creating jobs, bringing transparency, accountability and a fresh voice to the halls of state legislatures.

My partner, Chip Ford, was a New Hampshire driver for Ron Paul when Paul first ran for president as a Libertarian, and is still on his contact list. Last month, he received a letter from Congressman Paul that began: “Brush fires of liberty are springing up all across the country. And one of those brush fires is burning right now in Massachusetts ... you can be sure Leah will lead the fight to defeat the Boston establishment’s tax hikes, massive spending increases and assaults on liberty.” Dr. Paul endorsed her and urged his friends in Massachusetts to support her campaign.

This is probably where some of the “out-of-district money” that has helped fuel her campaign came from; I just gave her $50 myself, to help create a level playing field with the two better-known politicians in the Peabody wards.

This part of the state voted for Republicans Tisei and Charlie Baker, who enthusiastically introduced Leah at the function I attended; he also noted the value of encouraging young people to run and urged those in attendance to each get 10 people to the polls on April 2.

Many Republicans didn’t turn out for the special-election Republican primary between Cole and Greg Bunn, maybe because they had no preference between two good candidates. I hope they turn out in force on Tuesday — along with independents and Democrats who believe in a two-party system — to vote for Leah Cole, and prove that anyone who rudely dismissed her was wrong.

http://www.salemnews.com/opinion/x168871694/Anderson-A-brush-fire-of-liberty-in-Peabody

Christian Liberty
03-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Why is Ron Paul weighing in on elections outside the United States?;)

Sorry, just had to bash the one state that might actually be worse than mine...

sailingaway
03-27-2013, 10:14 PM
By all means lets insult all the people who could actually cast a vote for this candidate....

Christian Liberty
03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to sailingaway again."

True, true. My post was only a joke anyways. If you check my posting history, I pick on my own state at least five times more often than I pick on anywhere else. And making fun of a state should not be taken as making fun of everyone in that state, again, that means I make fun of myself all the time, which is probably true but whatever.

lib3rtarian
03-28-2013, 08:08 AM
I love it how these young folks are entering politics and fighting for liberty. We should all thank Ron Paul for that.

FSP-Rebel
03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
I love it how these young folks are entering politics and fighting for liberty. We should all thank Ron Paul for that.
Definitely, it's really great.

Christian Liberty
03-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Definitely, it's really great.

Thirded...

sailingaway
03-28-2013, 09:32 PM
bump for Massachusetts voters...

sailingaway
03-30-2013, 05:43 PM
Tuesday vote!

sailingaway
04-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Bump for tomorrow's election!!

mz10
04-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Knocked doors for 8 hrs today. Will be knocking doors for another 8 hrs tomorrow.

Best sign I've seen so far - when I ask Peabody people who besides Leah they think has the best chance (Dunne or Gravel), they have no idea. They really are going to split right down the middle from what I can tell. She could legitimately win with 35% of the vote, although I think she'll do better than that.

sailingaway
04-01-2013, 11:13 PM
retweet here: https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/status/318926189374869505

Keith and stuff
04-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Was the election today? What happened?

Adrock
04-02-2013, 08:38 PM
She won!

archer1600
04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
She won!

Link to election results?

Keith and stuff
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Candidate Total Votes
Leah Cole 1,878 35%
Beverley Dunne 1,805 34%
David Gravel 1,655 31%
http://peabody.patch.com/articles/in-shocking-result-republican-newcomer-cole-wins-peabody-state-rep-seat#photo-13095132

Unfortunately, if the statists get smart and don't split the vote in November, she will very likely lose her seat. Her election reminds me of the LePage election for the governor of Maine. Hopefully statists continue to feel that it is so likely they will win, that they run 2 horrible candidates against 1 decent candidate and split the vote. It might be a situation that plays out more and more in states that tend to vote for statists Democrats overwhelmingly. If the Republicans that win such elections are socially liberal (support the loosening of drug, alcohol, gambling and sex laws), some highly Democratic states might get some additional personal freedoms.