PDA

View Full Version : U.S. F-22 stealth jets join South Korea drills amid sabre-rattling

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 06:49 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/31/korea-north-usa-f-idUSL2N0CN0BT20130331

The United States sent F-22 stealth fighter jets to South Korea on Sunday to join military drills aimed at underscoring the U.S. commitment to defend Seoul in the face of an intensifying campaign of threats from North Korea.

The advanced, radar-evading F-22 Raptors were deployed to Osan Air Base, the main U.S. Air Force base in South Korea, from Japan to support ongoing bilateral exercises, the U.S. military command in South Korea said in a statement that urged North Korea to restrain itself.

"(North Korea) will achieve nothing by threats or provocations, which will only further isolate North Korea and undermine international efforts to ensure peace and stability in Northeast Asia," the statement said.

:( more at link ^

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 06:52 PM
http://www.france24.com/en/20130331-us-strategy-takes-korean-crisis-new-territory

Soaring tensions on the Korean peninsula have seen dire North Korean threats met with an unusually assertive US response that analysts warn could take a familiar game into dangerous territory.

By publicly highlighting its recent deployment of nuclear-capable B-52 and stealth bombers over South Korea, Washington has, at times, almost appeared to be purposefully goading an already apoplectic Pyongyang.

"There certainly seems to be an element of 'let's show we're taking the gloves off this time' about the US stance," said Paul Carroll, program director at the Ploughshares Fund, a US-based security policy think-tank.

more at link ^

Occam's Banana
03-31-2013, 07:05 PM
"(North Korea) will achieve nothing by threats or provocations [...]" the statement said.

I dunno. Seems like they're doing a pretty damn good job of yanking our chain ...

RockEnds
03-31-2013, 07:07 PM
I wish the Cold War was over. :(

RCA
03-31-2013, 07:11 PM
I wish the Cold War was over. :(

There fixed.

RockEnds
03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
There fixed.

Yeah, Korea is different, though. It began while my a-dad was in high school. He served there after being drafted when he was 20. I grew up rolling my eyes at the black and white Korean war slides that were pulled out of the basement closet once every year or two. He is now a great-grandfather who bemoans the fact that he has outlived nearly all of his friends. The fighting there began when Truman, Mao, and Stalin were in power. It is part of the Cold War. This thing has been going on longer than I've been alive.

Carson
03-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Is anyone really sure where these stories of threats originate?

The sources I hearing telling me of them, will I suppose always be suspect. I mean, what are the odds they would start telling the truth now?

And...

A while back I heard there were only seven nations on the world left without being part of the global controlled network of central banks. The list had Iraq, Afghanistan, and Libya on it then. Now I think it is down to Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Cuba.

Setting up Libya's new central bank;

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/africa/item/8318-%E2%80%9Clibyan-rebels%E2%80%9D-create-central-bank-oil-company

Iraq went through some changes;

2003 - Today

Following the deposition of Saddam Hussein in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the Iraqi Governing Council and the Office for Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance began printing more Saddam dinar notes as a stopgap measure to maintain the money supply until new currency could be introduced.

The Banking Law was issued September 19, 2003. The law brings Iraq’s legal framework for banking in line with international standards, and seeks to promote confidence in the banking system by establishing a safe, sound, competitive and accessible banking system.

From;

http://www.cbi.iq/index.php?pid=History

*There it is in plan English. The goal of, "Seeks to promote confidence." :D