PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Flake on Meet the Press . . . guns, immigration, gay marriage

rubioneocon
03-31-2013, 12:28 PM
former Congressman, now Senator Flake and RLC member - Republican Liberty Caucus -
with discussion including slamming universal background checks . . .

pretty good, hope we can find youtube

FSP-Rebel
03-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Good to see him strong on guns. Still makes me wonder why he would shack up with the Graham/McCain/Rubio outfit on immigration when he could've waited for Rand to unveil his.

heavenlyboy34
03-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Good to see him strong on guns. Still makes me wonder why he would shack up with the Graham/McCain/Rubio outfit on immigration when he could've waited for Rand to unveil his. It's a popular issue in his home state, and he probably wants to look good. ~shrugs~

AJ Antimony
03-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Good to see him strong on guns. Still makes me wonder why he would shack up with the Graham/McCain/Rubio outfit on immigration when he could've waited for Rand to unveil his.

For 12 years he's been around that side of the immigration debate. I just keep an eye on his voting record. Ever since he announced his Senate campaign, any time the cameras are on, he always tries to position himself right in the middle on every issue. It's quite unnerving, but by and large he's still voting the same way he always has.

compromise
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
http://thehill.com/video/senate/291111-flake-inevitable-a-gop-presidential-candidate-will-back-same-sex-marriage (video at link)

Republican Sen. Jeff Flake (Ariz.) said Sunday it was “inevitable” a GOP presidential candidate will one day support same-sex marriage, and that he would have no problem backing that candidate.
“I think that’s inevitable,” Flake said on NBC’s Meet the Press, when asked if the Republican party would ever see such a candidate. “There will be one and I think he’ll receive Republican support, or she will. So I think yes, the answer is yes.”
Still, Flake said his personal views on the issue would not change during his time in the Senate.
“I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, I still hold to the traditional definition of marriage,” he said. “In the past I supported repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, I supported the Non-Discrimination Act as well, but I hold to the traditional definition of marriage.”
A host of high-profile Democrat senators recently announced their support for same-sex unions ahead of oral arguments at the Supreme Court last week on two gay marriage cases.
The only GOP senator to fully endorse gay marriage is Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio), who announced his support earlier this month, citing his openly gay son as a motivating factor.
Fellow Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) has said that her view on same-sex marriage is "evolving."
Recent polls show a dramatic shift in public acceptance of gay rights, provoking many on the right to take a softer line on the issue.
Last week, GOP strategist Karl Rove said he “could” see a 2016 GOP contender backing gay marriage.