PDA

View Full Version : Texas: Homeowner Says 911 Hung Up On Them

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 09:48 AM
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/03/30/homeowner-says-911-hung-up-on-them/

Johnson County (CBSDFW.COM) – Home video shows just how intense the flames are as they consume John and Lori Helsley’s house.

Mrs. Helsley says they felt helpless because firefighters didn’t show up right away. “Took them about half an hour to get here. Just had to watch our house burn down.”

The Helsleys say they called 911 around 8pm Friday night......

The homeowners say what makes them more upset is that the Mansfield Fire Department is two miles away on Main Street, and that a fire hydrant sits right in their front yard.

more at link ^

torchbearer
03-31-2013, 09:50 AM
the guys at the station were watching the new doctor who.

tod evans
03-31-2013, 09:53 AM
They'd of been there in less than 5 min. if the couple had been members of the enforcer class...

donnay
03-31-2013, 09:59 AM
This shows the state of mind people are in, in this country. Did they not have a garden hose on their property? I would have not just stood around helplessly waiting for someone to come and put out the fire.

coastie
03-31-2013, 10:49 AM
This shows the state of mind people are in, in this country. Did they not have a garden hose on their property? I would have not just stood around helplessly waiting for someone to come and put out the fire.

I don't know how many big fires you've been around, but using a garden hose to put a house fire that's fully involved is like pissing in the ocean and expecting the tides to rise...aint happening(I've tried both).

donnay
03-31-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't know how many big fires you've been around, but using a garden hose to put a house fire that's fully involved is like pissing in the ocean and expecting the tides to rise...aint happening(I've tried both).

I do not know all the situation, they could be in a rural setting, I am not sure. However, they could be in a community (like I have seen in Texas) where people's houses are a stone throw away from one another. The point is, I would have not have stood around wondering when help was going to arrive, I would have tried my level best to do whatever it was to get the fire put out. Neighbors with hoses--etc...

I live in a rural community and I hope I never have to deal with a situation like that, but I can tell you I have lots of fire extinguishers in my home, and hoses available if I ever need it. I may not put out the fire, but at least I wouldn't be standing around helplessly waiting on others.

satchelmcqueen
03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
again my ex was a firefighter/ems. she said that the dept in fannin ga would purposely let a home burn down if it was beyond a certain time frame or certain point of burning. she said they would do this sometimes for insurance purposes for the home owner and sometimes just because they didnt feel like fighting the fire and it was easier to just control the burn around the house and not let it get out of the perimeter. common stuff im afraid.

coastie
03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
I do not know all the situation, they could be in a rural setting, I am not sure. However, they could be in a community (like I have seen in Texas) where people's houses are a stone throw away from one another. The point is, I would have not have stood around wondering when help was going to arrive, I would have tried my level best to do whatever it was to get the fire put out. Neighbors with hoses--etc...

I live in a rural community and I hope I never have to deal with a situation like that, but I can tell you I have lots of fire extinguishers in my home, and hoses available if I ever need it. I may not put out the fire, but at least I wouldn't be standing around helplessly waiting on others.

I gotchya, I was just busting your balls(or equivalent, busting your ovaries doesn't have the same ring to it).

:p

LibertyEagle
03-31-2013, 12:09 PM
I'll bet you this is why.

They say their house sits in Venus in Johnson County, right across the street from the Mansfield city line.

Anti Federalist
03-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Call 911 and then try to put the fire out and this happens

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?395733-FL-Cops-taser-man-for-trying-to-save-his-home-from-neighboring-fire&highlight=cops+taser+man+put+fire

abacabb
03-31-2013, 03:29 PM
again my ex was a firefighter/ems. she said that the dept in fannin ga would purposely let a home burn down if it was beyond a certain time frame or certain point of burning. she said they would do this sometimes for insurance purposes for the home owner and sometimes just because they didnt feel like fighting the fire and it was easier to just control the burn around the house and not let it get out of the perimeter. common stuff im afraid.
Government firehouses versus private. Monopolies do not need to worry about their customers.

But, to be fair to fireman, all of them I have met are brave guys and if they just "let it burn," it's probably because they had a buddy that got burned in a similar situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkEoOUcZ5GU

MRK
03-31-2013, 06:56 PM
And they said it was inhumane to have to have private fire stations.

fr33
03-31-2013, 10:04 PM
No revenue available, no service provided.

Aeroneous
03-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Very unfortunate. I grew up in a small town in southern California, and when I was about 8 years old we had an incident where a house that was right across the street from the fire station burned to the ground before anyone noticed. Fire personnel arrived on scene after the fire burned out. The owners were out of town so I could see how it was possible... but those firefighters had to endure some ridicule for years afterward.

KrokHead
04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
But, to be fair to fireman, all of them I have met are brave guys and if they just "let it burn," it's probably because they had a buddy that got burned in a similar situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG2usu-el68