PDA

View Full Version : CNN GOP Poll Shows More People are Familiar with Rand than Rubio

T.hill
03-29-2013, 12:52 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/29/cnn-2016-gop-poll-who-are-these-guys/?hpt=hp_t2

But more Republicans see Rand in a unfavorable light

Even though Florida Sen. Marco Rubio has been in the headlines quite a bit the past few months, just over one in three Republicans said they were unfamiliar with him, with 54% saying they had a favorable opinion him and 12% saying they have an unfavorable view of the man who gave the Republican response to the President's State of the Union address.

Thanks to his well-covered filibuster, Rand Paul has been in the headlines recently, but 28% of those questioned said they didn't know enough about the senator from Kentucky to form an opinion. Fifty-three percent said they saw him in a favorable light, with just under one in five saying they had a unfavorable opinion of Paul.

AlexAmore
03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
I think we can make up the just under 8% unfavorable difference with our incredible numbers we'll get from independents. I also think debates will shrink this when Rubio completely sucks at them and Rand plays him like a harmonica.

mz10
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
A lot of dumbasses still think he's Ron Paul

acptulsa
03-29-2013, 03:51 PM
I think we can make up the just under 8% unfavorable difference with our incredible numbers we'll get from independents. I also think debates will shrink this when Rubio completely sucks at them and Rand plays him like a harmonica.

The trick will be transforming that independent voter approval into primary votes and the nomination.

And I think the way to pull off that trick is to say early and often, 'Want to lose again? Or want to win this time?'

Anti-Neocon
03-29-2013, 05:53 PM
This is true.

PatriotOne
03-29-2013, 06:05 PM
And I think the way to pull off that trick is to say early and often, 'Want to lose again? Or want to win this time?'

I agree. And it's not a threat...it's just a fact.

Mr.NoSmile
03-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Wouldn't it be better to help show the striking contrast between Rubio and any other 2016 contender and minimize his rise before the debates?

jkr
03-29-2013, 06:14 PM
wiNNing!

compromise
03-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Ron had far worse favorability than Rand does at the moment. Rand stands a very good chance at getting the GOP nomination in 2016.

alucard13mmfmj
03-29-2013, 07:40 PM
dont screw this up this time =p. People will probably still vote for LP or Constitution party. Every vote matters! Especially in a rigged game. Gotta have a Randslide to make rigging a lot harder.

acptulsa
03-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Wouldn't it be better to help show the striking contrast between Rubio and any other 2016 contender and minimize his rise before the debates?

Well, maybe. But I'm not so sure there is such a contrast. I think the contrast will be between Rand and any other possible 2016 contender. Besides, I have quite a bit of faith in Rubio's ability to self-destruct, just the way all of the 2012 contenders (including Romney) did. So, quite frankly, I think we should lay off attacking 'fellow' Republicans as long as we can and be content to let nature takes it's course as much as possible.

unknown
03-30-2013, 01:52 AM
Christie as well.

So Rand is more recognized than Rubio, Christie or Jindal.

He tied Frothy and comes in behind Jeb and Paul Ryan.

Surprised about Jeb. Hardly see his name anywhere.

RonPaulMall
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
The election of Ted Cruz has destroyed Rubio's future political hopes. His sole selling point was "Conservative Hispanic" but now he is forever condemned to play the "me too" role trying to jump on whatever Conservative issue the real Conservative Hispanic has already staked out. The only time Rubio ever gets to an issue first is when it is a bad one like when he's teaming up with McCain and Graham on immigration.

kylejack
03-30-2013, 10:45 PM
I have an unfavorable opinion of Rand specifically because he's not enough like Ron Paul.

He has been doing some good things lately, though. Drones, immigration reform, talk about drug use of Presidents... Hopefully he will keep that up.

rubioneocon
03-31-2013, 05:36 AM
Ron had far worse favorability than Rand does at the moment. Rand stands a very good chance at getting the GOP nomination in 2016.
former Texan Dr. Rand Paul vs. a Cuban-American for the GOP Iowa
caucus and NH first in the nation primary . . .

anybuddy else looking forward to this . . . challenge ?

VoteRandPaul2016
03-31-2013, 06:10 AM
I pray to God he doesn't sell out.... I really do. He's clearly our only choice in 2016 and I can't even think of anyone else for 2020 other than Justin Amash... I have a weird feeling about Ted Cruz.

Jon311
03-31-2013, 07:40 AM
During the Republican primaries, I introduced, encouraged and "helped" to get my whole family to vote for Ron Paul. It will be the same for Rand, including my brother who just turned eighteen. It's never to early to start introducing Rand Paul to your friends, family etc. Every vote will help, and we often overlook simply discussing these important matters with our family and friends and getting them to join our cause.

Bastiat's The Law
03-31-2013, 07:47 AM
The election of Ted Cruz has destroyed Rubio's future political hopes. His sole selling point was "Conservative Hispanic" but now he is forever condemned to play the "me too" role trying to jump on whatever Conservative issue the real Conservative Hispanic has already staked out. The only time Rubio ever gets to an issue first is when it is a bad one like when he's teaming up with McCain and Graham on immigration.
Cruz winning that Senate seat is really paying dividends for us and Rand. We damn well know David "establishment" Dewhurst wouldn't stand with Rand on anything.

Brett85
03-31-2013, 08:07 AM
I have an unfavorable opinion of Rand specifically because he's not enough like Ron Paul.

So because he's not an exact clone of Ron Paul, you have an unfavorable opinion of him, even though he's the best Senator we have by far. Makes a lot of sense.

Mr.NoSmile
03-31-2013, 08:10 AM
So because he's not an exact clone of Ron Paul, you have an unfavorable opinion of him, even though he's the best Senator we have by far. Makes a lot of sense.

You did see the rest of their post when they mentioned favorable things Paul has done in the Senate and hoped that Paul keeps that up, right?

kylejack
03-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Being the best member of a bad institution with bad members is not going to necessarily give me a favorable opinion. I judge politicians on their own merits, not in relation to other bad politicians.

Brett85
03-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Being the best member of a bad institution with bad members is not going to necessarily give me a favorable opinion. I judge politicians on their own merits, not in relation to other bad politicians.

But is your criteria that you have to agree with a politician on every single issue in order to have a favorable opinion of him or her?

kylejack
03-31-2013, 08:19 AM
But is your criteria that you have to agree with a politician on every single issue in order to have a favorable opinion of him or her?
No, in fact I do not agree with Ron Paul on all issues.

rubioneocon
03-31-2013, 09:21 AM
So because he's not an exact clone of Ron Paul . . .

Well not to mince words . . .

btw . . .
Rand is a clone of Ron Paul. . . . and Carol.

speciallyblend
03-31-2013, 09:44 AM
I will consider voting for rand paul. If he stands for legal hemp,medical marijuana and legal marijuana. If i feel he starts dancing around these huge issues in colorado. Then i will look elsewhere. I hope Rand Paul wins the gop nomination. I will strongly consider voting for him.

roho76
03-31-2013, 10:20 AM
We just have to wait for Rubio to open his mouth in the first couple of debates. He looks great on paper and photo ops but as soon as he opens his mouth all doubt is removed.

But we are dealing with constituents opinions of national candidates anymore. These future elections will be different then any we have seen. Things are getting so corrupt behinds the scenes that, between what Obama is doing with his executive order to involve himself at the precinct level of national elections and what the RNC and DNC have been pulling, we are going to be in for some big surprises come any future national elections.

BlackTerrel
03-31-2013, 01:27 PM
I will consider voting for rand paul. If he stands for legal hemp,medical marijuana and legal marijuana. If i feel he starts dancing around these huge issues in colorado. Then i will look elsewhere. I hope Rand Paul wins the gop nomination. I will strongly consider voting for him.

Who will you vote for if he doesn't?

I understand that some people care more about certain issues than others. And for the record I am for legal marijuana.

But being single issue voters isn't to our benefit. I'd much rather vote for the person among the pool of candidates who I think will make the best president.

trey4sports
03-31-2013, 01:31 PM
We just have to wait for Rubio to open his mouth in the first couple of debates. He looks great on paper and photo ops but as soon as he opens his mouth all doubt is removed.

But we are dealing with constituents opinions of national candidates anymore. These future elections will be different then any we have seen. Things are getting so corrupt behinds the scenes that, between what Obama is doing with his executive order to involve himself at the precinct level of national elections and what the RNC and DNC have been pulling, we are going to be in for some big surprises come any future national elections.

This.

Marco Rubio is not ready for the big-time. He's a goof-ball who quotes wiz khalifa, jay z, and can't effectively ration his water usage during a prime-time speech.

Slutter McGee
03-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Cruz winning that Senate seat is really paying dividends for us and Rand. We damn well know David "establishment" Dewhurst wouldn't stand with Rand on anything.

I sent a couple of letters to Cruz early in the campaign. I asked " What is your (his...not as if he would read it himself) opinion on the Federal War on Drugs in relation to states rights, What is your opinion on the Patriot Act?, and what is your beliefs regarding foreign intervention." Never got a response. Wanted to help, but couldn't without knowing his opinion o those. Id have given money to him and campaigned for him if I had a satisfactory response on two of those three questions.

As it is, I just voted for him, and so far I am happy with my vote. Still, I am really curious about these other issues. I am really hoping he is like Mike Lee when it comes to these issues. Not expecting Ron, Amash, Massie, or even Rand like purity. But I would be thrilled with him being like Mike Lee.

Id even give money to his reelection.

Slutter McGee

Brett85
03-31-2013, 01:35 PM

What if he just says that Colorado should have the right to legalize marijuana if they want to? Isn't that good enough?

Slutter McGee
03-31-2013, 01:43 PM
What if he just says that Colorado should have the right to legalize marijuana if they want to? Isn't that good enough?

Exactly, and that should be all we expect if we want to win in the Republican Party. Personally I support the legalization of weed. Never did like it myself. Hated the way it made me feel...but I see no harm.

But I am not a libertarian...I am a libertarian leaning states rights conservative. I am sorry...but I don't think meth should be legal. And there are a lot of people like me out there. You can't expect the politicians to pick a losing position. You can hope they take a losing position and support it while framing the argument in a different light.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Bastiat's The Law
03-31-2013, 01:56 PM
I sent a couple of letters to Cruz early in the campaign. I asked " What is your (his...not as if he would read it himself) opinion on the Federal War on Drugs in relation to states rights, What is your opinion on the Patriot Act?, and what is your beliefs regarding foreign intervention." Never got a response. Wanted to help, but couldn't without knowing his opinion o those. Id have given money to him and campaigned for him if I had a satisfactory response on two of those three questions.

As it is, I just voted for him, and so far I am happy with my vote. Still, I am really curious about these other issues. I am really hoping he is like Mike Lee when it comes to these issues. Not expecting Ron, Amash, Massie, or even Rand like purity. But I would be thrilled with him being like Mike Lee.

Id even give money to his reelection.

Slutter McGee
That's okay, our southern liberty candidates have to play by a different set of rules and to a different electorate. I don't expect them to be pro drug, pro prostitution warriors. Why even open that can of worms just so the media can pound you into the dust with it over and over to the clueless public? Now if someone was running in Oregon, or Vermont, then yeah that could be an issue they could push to the forefront. I'm glad our candidates are more politically savvy and stepping up their game.

Brett85
03-31-2013, 02:05 PM
I think the vast majority of Americans will actually support marijuana legalization by 2016, so it won't be a losing position politically to take that position. But, taking the position that the states should have the right to legalize marijuana is good enough for me, because that's all that really matters at the federal level anyway. That's all that Rand would actually control if he were President.

T.hill
03-31-2013, 04:01 PM

There is hardly any difference between Ron and Rand in substance, sure their personalities are different and Rand doesn't use the same approach, but the substance is basically the same.

trey4sports
03-31-2013, 05:47 PM
There is hardly any difference between Ron and Rand in substance, sure their personalities are different and Rand doesn't use the same approach, but the substance is basically the same.

That is still debatable.

At this point in time no one really knows just how close their beliefs are except for Ron and Rand.

I am, however, confident that based on what I have seen so far I am much more comfortable with Rand than I am any other major, viable political candidate interested in running for president in 2016.