PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: New Hampshire bans private prisons

Constitutional Paulicy
03-29-2013, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slk8S_VgxvU&feature=youtube_gdata

In recent decades the prison industry has become a booming business in the US - with only 5% of the world's population, 25% of all the prisoners of the world are in American jails. However now it looks like one state has a problem with that business model.

FSP-Rebel
03-29-2013, 12:15 PM
The state's prison population per capita is rather small compared to the rest of the country on average. Albeit a good thing, behind the scenes I'm sure the correctional officers unions had major input on this.

Keith and stuff
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Most of the Republicans didn't support private prisons but the women's prison is old and they were looking at low cost ways of solving the issue. This eliminates 1 of the options. Why not ban all prisons in NH? Now that would be freedom.

Anyway, this thread is wrong, HB443 hasn't even been heard in the Senate. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/bill_docket.aspx?lsr=653&sy=2013&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2013&txtbillnumber=Hb443

Christian Liberty
03-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Most of the Republicans didn't support private prisons but the women's prison is old and they were looking at low cost ways of solving the issue. This eliminates 1 of the options. Why not ban all prisons in NH? Now that would be freedom.

I don't know if I agree with that. I am definitely for elimination of all laws against victimless crimes, but those who commit violent crimes probably do need to spend some time behind bars.

I absolutely agree with banning private prisons though. Criminal justice should never be a "For profit" thing, as this leads to an incentive to lock people up who don't deserve it. That's why I'm not an anarchist, criminal justice shouldn't be left to the mercy of the free market. I don't think it will end well.

america
06-13-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't know if I agree with that. I am definitely for elimination of all laws against victimless crimes, but those who commit violent crimes probably do need to spend some time behind bars.

I absolutely agree with banning private prisons though. Criminal justice should never be a "For profit" thing, as this leads to an incentive to lock people up who don't deserve it. That's why I'm not an anarchist, criminal justice shouldn't be left to the mercy of the free market. I don't think it will end well.

I agree completely. Certain functions are inherently non-profit and should be done by government. Privatizing any part of law enforcement or our criminal justice system is a ticket to disaster and corruption for anyone who prefers democracy and freedom to fascism.

Our private prison system has increased taxpayer costs enormously because they want more crime and they more prisons because it means more profit. Now we have speed and red light cameras that encourage collusion between for profit corporations and crooked local officials to locate and configure the cameras for one purpose only, make more profits which means more kick backs, and better pay and pensions for local officials.

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 11:02 AM
I agree completely. Certain functions are inherently non-profit and should be done by government. Privatizing any part of law enforcement or our criminal justice system is a ticket to disaster and corruption for anyone who prefers democracy and freedom to fascism.

Our private prison system has increased taxpayer costs enormously because they want more crime and they more prisons because it means more profit. Now we have speed and red light cameras that encourage collusion between for profit corporations and crooked local officials to locate and configure the cameras for one purpose only, make more profits which means more kick backs, and better pay and pensions for local officials.

Welcome aboard.

You'll probably take some flak for that position, but I happen to agree completely.

stu2002
06-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Good

Prisons for Profits are not good

amy31416
06-13-2013, 11:08 AM
I'd have to agree on this--even knowing that no matter what, there will be corruption.

Murray N Rothbard
06-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Private prisons are not the problem nor even a problem per se. Prison systems can and should be "for profit" just like every other legitimate business. They just shouldn't be paid for via taxes and the crimes should be objectively defined by common law.

Keith and stuff
06-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Update. The bill was killed in the NH Senate by a vote of 13-11. This issue, if brought up again, likely won't come back until 2015.

3/21/2013 S Introduced and Referred to Finance
4/2/2013 S Hearing: 4/9/13, Room 103, SH, 1:00 p.m.; SC15
4/23/2013 S Committee Report: Inexpedient to Legislate, 5-1, 5/2/13; SC18
5/2/2013 S Inexpedient to Legislate, RC 13Y-11N, MA; === BILL KILLED ===;
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/bill_docket.aspx?lsr=653&sy=2013&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2013&txtbillnumber=Hb443

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Private prisons are not the problem nor even a problem per se. Prison systems can and should be "for profit" just like every other legitimate business. They just shouldn't be paid for via taxes and the crimes should be objectively defined by common law.

Every legitimate business has, as its core goal, to expand and increase its profits and output.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that you can say, that would convince me that putting a profit motive behind putting people in cages, is a good thing.

Prisons should be unsightly, costly, inefficient and poorly populated.

That is the only thing right now from Boobus locking up 20 million people instead of just 2 million.

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Update. The bill was killed in the NH Senate by a vote of 13-11. This issue, if brought up again, likely won't come back until 2015.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/bill_docket.aspx?lsr=653&sy=2013&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2013&txtbillnumber=Hb443

Looks like a partisan split.

Got a break down of votes?

Oh, and thank God.

Keith and stuff
06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Looks like a partisan split.

Got a break down of votes?

Oh, and thank God.

1 person from each party ( Democrat D'Allesandro and Republican Prescott) voted with the other party. And just to be clear, the 13-11 was to kill the bill so private prisons will NOT be banned in NH.

Vote Date: 05/02/2013 Vote#: 46 Question/Motion: Inexpedient to Legislate

Yeas: 13 Nays: 11 View All Roll Calls
Party County District Vote
Boutin, David Republican 16 Yea
Bradley, Jeb Republican 03 Yea
Bragdon, Peter Republican 11 Yea
Carson, Sharon Republican 14 Yea
Cataldo, Sam Republican 06 Yea
D'Allesandro, Lou Democrat 20 Yea
Forrester, Jeanie Republican 02 Yea
Fuller Clark, Martha Democrat 21 Nay
Gilmour, Peggy Democrat 12 Nay
Hosmer, Andrew Democrat 07 Nay
Kelly, Molly Democrat 10 Nay
Larsen, Sylvia Democrat 15 Nay
Lasky, Bette Democrat 13 Nay
Morse, Chuck Republican 22 Yea
Odell, Bob Republican 08 Yea
Pierce, David Democrat 05 Nay
Prescott, Russell Republican 23 Nay
Rausch, Jim Republican 19 Yea
Reagan, John Republican 17 Yea
Sanborn, Andy Republican 09 Yea
Soucy, Donna Democrat 18 Nay
Stiles, Nancy Republican 24 Yea
Watters, David Democrat 04 Nay
Woodburn, Jeff Democrat 01 Nay

ItsTime
06-13-2013, 11:53 AM
It is about the only thing I don't think the state should privatize.

Anti Federalist
06-13-2013, 11:59 AM
1 person from each party ( Democrat D'Allesandro and Republican Prescott) voted with the other party. And just to be clear, the 13-11 was to kill the bill so private prisons will NOT be banned in NH.

Oh...well, my bad mistake then.

Now it makes more sense, that is about par for the course for Beacon Hill North.