PDA

View Full Version : Rubio joins the pack pledging to filibuster gun control legislation

jct74
03-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Rubio signs onto letter promising filibuster on gun control legislation

by Alexis Levinson
2:31 PM 03/28/2013

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio signed onto a letter Thursday pledging to filibuster gun control legislation.

He joins his colleagues, Sens. Rand Paul, Mike Lee, and Ted Cruz, who penned the letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid earlier this week.

“We, the undersigned, intend to oppose any legislation that would infringe on the American people’s constitutional right to bear arms, or on their ability to exercise this right without being subjected to government surveillance,” the senators wrote. “The Second Amendment to the Constitution protects citizens’ right to self-defense. It speaks to the history’s lesson that government cannot be in all places at all times, and history’s warning about the oppression of a government that tries.”

Rubio added his signature to the letter just hours after President Barack Obama held a press invoking the memory of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School and urging members of congress to support new gun control legislation.

read more:
http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/28/rubio-signs-onto-letter-promising-filibuster-on-gun-control-legislation/

FSP-Rebel
03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow, Rubio is such a pioneer for liberty wouldn't cha know!

whoisjohngalt
03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
My God this man has no shame.

I hope we are documenting all the coat tails riding so we can use it as ammunition come primary season.

Darguth
03-28-2013, 03:13 PM
All aboard the Randwagon, wee-ooh wee-ooh!

phill4paul
03-28-2013, 03:16 PM
The more the merrier.

bunklocoempire
03-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Fredo Rubio right on cue.

Enjoy my mad skillz with 'Paint' lol:
http://s6.postimg.org/83bqj7p4h/fredo.jpg

Sentinelrv
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Late to the party again I see. This guy is so desperate to remain relevant.

Matt Collins
03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOaCD_JNgkA

Keith and stuff
03-28-2013, 03:47 PM
This is extremely great news! I was a little worried before. Now, I'm starting to feel pretty good about this.

jkr
03-28-2013, 04:13 PM
LETS
DO
a
CHIP
IN
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4813873304896332&pid=1.7&w=236&h=155&c=7&rs=1

THIS!

jkob
03-28-2013, 04:18 PM
like clockwork

opal
03-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Slogan.. the next great Follower of the free world

JK/SEA
03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Good. Afterall, he is a U.S. Senator. More weight behind this the better.

John...Lindsey....you paying attention?...knock knock...anybody home?...

CaptUSA
03-28-2013, 05:29 PM
This is what you call, "Leading from Behind". :rolleyes:

Bastiat's The Law
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Dance boy, dance!

FriedChicken
03-28-2013, 06:12 PM
It was a bit obvious to call this one - however, I wonder if Rand, Cruz and Lee tried to involve him before (if he had the opportunity to be one of the first ones of if jumping on the bandwagon was his only option.)

kathy88
03-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Me Too Rubio.

Christian Liberty
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't really know much about Rubio, and while he doesn't seem like anyone I would vote for, he defininitely doesn't sound as bad as guys like Mccain and Graham. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly his foreign policy is like. He has opposed "isolationism" but is he a full blooded neocon? He doesn't really sound like one...

I know at least one libertarian-leaning individual that likes Rubio, although this person's biggest problem with pure libertarianism is its refusal to support Israel. He opposed the war in Iraq though, so he's definitely far from supporting neocon ideas. His wife, however, is a radical neoconservative and is also a supporter of Rubio...

MaxPower
03-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Why, who could ever have seen this coming?

PatriotOne
03-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Rand has said he is friends with Rubio and works with Rubio on many things. He has influence on Rubio. I'm always glad to see Rubio following Rand's lead. I'd be uncomfortable if it was the other way around. We should be praising him when he does and hammering him when he doesn't.

rubioneocon
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
read more: LM
http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/28/rubio-signs-onto-letter-promising-filibuster-on-gun-control-legislation/

Politically wise to follow and learn, but yeah glad to have him onboard nonetheless.

compromise
03-29-2013, 04:16 AM
I don't really know much about Rubio, and while he doesn't seem like anyone I would vote for, he defininitely doesn't sound as bad as guys like Mccain and Graham. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly his foreign policy is like. He has opposed "isolationism" but is he a full blooded neocon? He doesn't really sound like one...

I know at least one libertarian-leaning individual that likes Rubio, although this person's biggest problem with pure libertarianism is its refusal to support Israel. He opposed the war in Iraq though, so he's definitely far from supporting neocon ideas. His wife, however, is a radical neoconservative and is also a supporter of Rubio...

Libertarianism does not "refuse to support Israel". Libertarians are free to support Israel privately.

Rubio is liked by some libertarians like Matt Kibbe and Austin Petersen (although those guys support whoever FreedomWorks supports). His foreign policy is very internationalist though (in line with McCain/Graham), he supports foreign aid to Pakistan and poor African countries, the UN and humanitarian interventions like Libya, which many conservatives do not support.

Tod
03-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Fredo Rubio right on cue.

Enjoy my mad skillz with 'Paint' lol:
http://s6.postimg.org/83bqj7p4h/fredo.jpg

Ready to celebrate his quinceanero. Don't mind me; I'm just jealous because he is so youthful.

Matt Collins
03-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Good friend of mine who is not politically active, but consumes a lot of news: "Matt, it looks like Rubio is just trying to catch up to Rand. I'm ok with him being a Rand follower" lulz

Brian4Liberty
03-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Late to the party again I see. This guy is so desperate to remain relevant.

No doubt his handlers have reluctantly recommended this move (and his ignorant fans have probably encouraged it too). Rubio would be just as likely to stand up there with McCain and Feinstein calling for "common sense" gun control.

thoughtomator
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Me-toobio strikes again

Christian Liberty
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Libertarianism does not "refuse to support Israel". Libertarians are free to support Israel privately.

Yes, you are correct. The person in question doesn't know enough libertarian theory at this point to realize this, however. And he objects to the idea that the US government wouldn't help Israel against Iran and what have you. I'm still working on him;)

bunklocoempire
03-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Me-toobio strikes again

Love it!

I certainly understand the positive attitudes when Rubio does follow Rand's lead. Positive is good.

I guess what I'm having a hard time with (again and forever) is the msm and establishment giving Rubio so much help. It's 2008 and 2012 all over again. Hard to cheer on somebody who isn't required to jump the same hurdles while having the "officials" actively running interference for them.

Rubio's running the right direction you say? Big fat hairy deal -if he runs the wrong direction they'll change the course for him.:p

Yeah I'm bitter, helps me anticipate what they will pull out of their bag of limited tricks next. ;)

abacabb
03-29-2013, 02:52 PM
When's Rubes gonna stop being a tag along and do something himself? He should take a stand about his convictions, like filibustering any military budget that isn't a 50% increase in spending.

Brett85
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Why exactly is Rand saying that he supports the existing background check system in this article? Isn't the existing background check system unconstitutional as well? It seems like it violates the 10th amendment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/03/29/rand-pauls-important-concession-on-guns/

Acala
03-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Why exactly is Rand saying that he supports the existing background check system in this article? Isn't the existing background check system unconstitutional as well? It seems like it violates the 10th amendment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/03/29/rand-pauls-important-concession-on-guns/

Yes, it's Unconstitutional and bad policy. But it is hard to argue against it once you make the assumption that known violent felons are going to be released to run free among us.

Brett85
03-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Yes, it's Unconstitutional and bad policy. But it is hard to argue against it once you make the assumption that known violent felons are going to be released to run free among us.

The argument is simply that it should be done by the states. The states have jurisdiction over the issue.

Acala
03-29-2013, 04:00 PM
The argument is simply that it should be done by the states. The states have jurisdiction over the issue.

You can make that argument, but the counter is that the states don't have the needed records as long as bad guys can cross state lines. The better argument, in my opinion, is that once you have tried and convicted people of violent crimes, you don't release them again and expect the clerk at the sporting goods store to keep them from getting the hardware to kill again. People can either be trusted to be free or they can't. If they can't, you isolate them and if they can you leave them alone.

Brett85
03-29-2013, 04:04 PM
I just know that Ron was in favor of repealing all federal gun control laws. It doesn't look like Rand is going to take that position.

itshappening
03-29-2013, 04:59 PM
I just know that Ron was in favor of repealing all federal gun control laws. It doesn't look like Rand is going to take that position.

Because that will get one vote in the Senate.

He's just focused on stopping it expanding.

Brett85
03-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Because that will get one vote in the Senate.

He's just focused on stopping it expanding.

It should get three. Rand, Cruz, and Lee are all supposed to be Constitutionalists. You can't be a Constitutionalist if you support federal gun regulations.

jtstellar
03-29-2013, 06:51 PM

yes we all already know you are too good for rand's gradual approach.. just in case you yourself don't know, that isn't news anymore.

J_White
03-29-2013, 10:29 PM
"me too, me too" !!

Aeroneous
03-29-2013, 10:47 PM
We should be happy to see support any time we can get it. Rubio does seem to be taking a follower role, but I'm glad to see that he's following Rand on some of the big issues. Good on him.

Brian4Liberty
03-29-2013, 11:21 PM

There is a logical a fallacy in background checks. Just examine the premise. There is a list of people who can not be trusted with guns. How can these people be trusted in society at all if they are such a danger? It don't make no sense!

Brett85
03-30-2013, 02:24 AM
yes we all already know you are too good for rand's gradual approach.. just in case you yourself don't know, that isn't news anymore.

I'm all in favor of a gradual approach, just as long as we keep in mind what the ultimate goal is.

Brett85
03-30-2013, 02:34 AM
And since when are you not allowed to disagree with or criticize Rand for a position he takes that you believe is wrong? I'm a Rand Paul supporter, but this isn't some kind of cult where no one is ever allowed to criticize the leader.

compromise
03-30-2013, 02:55 AM

Did he actually say he supports it? It seems like he's mentioning the things Obama has already done by executive order to show the Dems sheer devotion to getting gun control through.

rubioneocon
03-30-2013, 07:14 AM
this.

and even the background checks have a problem . . . when the background /rap sheet is wronging someone
Why does everyone at MSNBC just believe the background is always correct . . . ?