PDA

View Full Version : Police restrain crowd from taking food after supermarket eviction

CaseyJones
03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=21802556

AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -

Law enforcement officials pushed back hundreds of people who were crowding around a large pile of merchandise outside an Augusta grocery store Tuesday afternoon.

But the goods sitting in the parking lot of the Laney Supermarket didn't make into anyone's hands.

Instead, the food people hoped to take home was tossed into the trash.

"People have children out here that are hungry, thirsty, could be anything. Why throw it away when you could be issuing it out?" asked Robertstine Lambert.

The Marshal of Richmond County, Steve Smith, says the food wasn't theirs to give away, so they had to trash it.

"We don't have authority to take possession of the property; we just have to make sure that it's handled, disposed of by law," Smith, said.

SunTrust Bank in Atlanta owns the property and they're sending the merchandise to the landfill after evicting the Chois, the owners of the grocery store.

more at link ^

Zippyjuan
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Should have at least turned it over to a food bank.

libertyjam
03-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Plenty of dumpster divers out there, likely some of it ended up salvaged by someone, unless they stood guard over the trash 24hrs a day.

talkingpointes
03-28-2013, 11:52 AM
They can't because they will be sued if someone gets sick. Reglations - such bullshit.

kcchiefs6465
03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Plenty of dumpster divers out there, likely some of it ended up salvaged by someone, unless they stood guard over the trash 24hrs a day.
'Disposed of by law' usually means that bleach is poured over it. 'They don't want animals to eat it and get sick.' [so they poison it]

kcchiefs6465
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
They say they offered the food to a church, but members didn't show up to claim it.
Hmm.

sailingaway
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
I saw that. Is that sick or what?

ninepointfive
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM
right is left - up is down.

screw this place

angelatc
03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
The Marshal of Richmond County, Steve Smith, says the food wasn't theirs to give away, so they had to trash it.

"We don't have authority to take possession of the property; we just have to make sure that it's handled, disposed of by law," Smith, said.

It's been a few years since I've seen an eviction go all the way, so maybe things have changed, but I seem to recall seeing my upstairs neighbors' furniture piled up on the lawn, with no police protection. Of course, most of it disappeared pretty quickly.

kcchiefs6465
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
It's been a few years since I've seen an eviction go all the way, so maybe things have changed, but I seem to recall seeing my upstairs neighbors' furniture piled up on the lawn, with no police protection. Of course, most of it disappeared pretty quickly.
It is still done this way.

sailingaway
03-28-2013, 12:14 PM

hunters gave a charity thousands of dollars worth of venison, properly packed at a meat packing plant, and the charity ripped open the packages and put bleach on them before throwing them away so people wouldn't eat them. They wouldn't even let the hunters take it back to give to someone hungrier and less idiotic.