PDA

View Full Version : Boehner claims 'success' against Obama and Democrats

itshappening
03-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Pathetic.

-
Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) hailed his conference's success against President Obama in a memo issued to Republicans on Thursday.

Boehner said the House GOP's “new tactical plan” to fight Obama and Democrats on spending had largely succeeded and sought input from his rank-and-file on where to go from here.

“Republicans may be the minority party in Washington – but because we forged a plan together and have stuck to it, our actions as a team over the past couple of months have made a difference for all Americans,” Boehner wrote.

The Speaker highlighted as a success legislation that would have withheld pay from the House and Senate if either chamber did not produce a budget. He also complimented Majority Leader Eric Cantor's (R-Va.) "make life work" initiative, which is meant to showcase GOP ideas that will help working families.

“From #NoBudgetNoPay to Leader Cantor’s #MakingLifeWork initiative to last week’s passage of our Path to Prosperity budget, we’ve used our limited power in Washington to maximum effect, and shown the Democratic majority what leadership looks like,” Boehner wrote.

Republicans entered 2013 on shaky ground after a disappointing election that saw their party lose the White House and seats in both chambers of Congress. Several Republicans voted against Boehner for Speaker, and the party was seen as losing the "fiscal cliff" battle that ended with Obama winning higher tax rates on wealthier households.

House Republicans seemed to regain their political bearings in the fight over the sequester. While Boehner and other Republicans criticized the automatic spending cuts, they decided to hold the line on replacing them with anything other than spending cuts.

In the face of a White House public relations offensive that warned of the sequester's economic ills, Boehner and the GOP refused to give ground on Obama's demand for new taxes. And the White House public relations push seemed to backfire as questions were raised about whether some cuts were political, such as the cancelling of White House tours.

In his memo, Boehner lauded his conference for putting the infighting of 2012 behind it and sticking to a strategy hatched at its Williamsburg retreat to pass a budget that balances in ten years and to avoid a government shutdown. The conference also decided to not allow new taxes to pay for turning off this year's $85 billion in sequestration cuts.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/290761-boehner-memo-says-tactical-plan-succeeding#ixzz2OqnFg4Bq

shane77m
03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
I guess he means that he was successful at kissing Obama's a$$.

phill4paul
03-28-2013, 10:29 AM
With the exception of wacko birds we've proved that we are irrelevant. . And they NEVER expected that! Ha! Take that Dems! We win.

KrokHead
03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't care about success against Obama, how about success for America?

itshappening
03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Success for Boehner = I fooled enough of my colleagues (or bought them off successfully with promises of campaign cash) to keep my job for 2 more years.

jkr
03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
but he IS a democrat...