PDA

View Full Version : So Long, Yankees! China And Brazil Ditch US Dollar In Trade Deal Before BRICS Summit

sailingaway
03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
China and Brazil agreed to trade in each other’s currencies just hours ahead of the BRICS summit in South Africa.

The deal, which extends over a three-year period and amounts to an exchange of about $30 billion in trade per year, marks the latest effort among two of the world’s largest emerging economies to shift the dynamics of international trade that have long favored the U.S. dollar.

"Our interest is not to establish new relations with China, but to expand relations to be used in the case of turbulence in financial markets," Brazilian Central Bank Governor Alexandre Tombini said, Reuters reported.

By shifting some trade away from the U.S. dollar, the world’s primary reserve currency, the two countries aim to buffer their commercial ties against another financial crisis like the one that resulted from the collapse of the U.S. housing market bubble in 2008.

"Trade ties between China and Brazil are of great importance to the two countries' economies amid global woes and the member states' economic stability is vital for the BRICS mechanism," said Zhou Zhiwei, a researcher with the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Xinhua reported.

more: http://www.ibtimes.com/so-long-yankees-china-brazil-ditch-us-dollar-trade-deal-brics-summit-1153415#

Dr.3D
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
But, but, but, Obama just loaned a lot of money to Brazil so they could put oil wells in the gulf of Mexico and sell us the oil. Sort of looks like they will be selling China the oil instead.

I suppose a war with Brazil is next.

IDefendThePlatform
03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
This seems like a huge deal.

shane77m
03-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Look for a leaked intelligence report that says something to the effect of Al Qaeda having cells in Brazil.

phill4paul
03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Look for a leaked intelligence report that says something to the effect of Al Qaeda having cells in Brazil.

Old news. They are like Elvis.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/02/us-brazil-qaeda-idUSTRE7312LJ20110402

Al Qaeda members hide in Brazil, raise money: report

(Reuters) - Al Qaeda operatives are in Brazil planning attacks, raising money and recruiting followers, a leading news magazine reported Saturday, renewing concerns about the nation serving as a hide-out for Islamic militants.

shane77m
03-28-2013, 10:23 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/digger48/universElvisBinLaden5B15D.jpg

JorgeStevenson
03-28-2013, 11:02 AM
What does this actually mean? Do they mean that, before this, Brazilian banks were forbidden from owning anything except reais and dollars?

TheGrinch
03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
What does this actually mean? Do they mean that, before this, Brazilian banks were forbidden from owning anything except reais and dollars?

Not in writing, I don't believe so, but the US has long pushed to make sure dollars were used in trading (in a long complicated history from what I remember)... What it means is that they no longer have confidence in the dollar, which can be either a catalyst or response to a future collapse in the dollar, when the dollar's value is now completely derived from confidence in it.

Though don't quote me on all of that, because it is complicated beyond my understanding..

Natural Citizen
03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
This seems like a huge deal.

Thisis a very, very big deal. I had brought this possibility up some time ago with a pretty fair overview of what would follow after such a transition but it basically went ignored. Is probably buried around here some place.

This is big.