PDA

View Full Version : STUDY: ND 'most free' state; least free -- NY

green73
03-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Americans are migrating from less-free liberal states to more-free conservative states, where they are doing better economically, according to a new study published Thursday by the George Mason University's Mercatus Center.

The "Freedom in the 50 States" study measured economic and personal freedom using a wide range of criteria, including tax rates, government spending and debt, regulatory burdens, and state laws covering land use, union organizing, gun control, education choice and more.

It found that the freest states tended to be conservative "red" states, while the least free were liberal "blue" states.

The freest state overall, the researchers concluded, was North Dakota, followed by South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Oklahoma. The least free state by far was New York, followed by California, New Jersey, Hawaii and Rhode Island.

cont
http://news.investors.com/032813-649561-americans-are-migrating-to-more-free-republican-states.aspx

TonySutton
03-28-2013, 07:26 AM
ND moved up primarily due to fiscal policy which is getting a boost from the energy boom underway. Not sure I would jump through hoops to move there. I still like my birth state of Indiana. They dropped a few notches due to fiscal issues but are very good on civil liberties, property rights and regulations.

green73
03-28-2013, 07:32 AM
ND moved up primarily due to fiscal policy which is getting a boost from the energy boom underway. Not sure I would jump through hoops to move there. I still like my birth state of Indiana. They dropped a few notches due to fiscal issues but are very good on civil liberties, property rights and regulations.

I'd go insane if I had to live in the Dakotas. The northern two-thirds of Indiana as well, although they have some lovely towns.

lib3rtarian
03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
I'd go insane if I had to live in the Dakotas. The northern two-thirds of Indiana as well, although they have some lovely towns.

Why? Is it the cold?

green73
03-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Why? Is it the cold?

Flat and unpleasing to the eye.

Wooden Indian
03-28-2013, 08:45 AM

Sounds like my ex.

Article V
03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Sounds like my ex.OMFGROFL! The best comment ever on RPF. Congratulations, you've just won the 100,000 internets!

+Rep.

kathy88
03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
OMFGROFL! The best comment ever on RPF. Congratulations, you've just won the 100,000 internets!

+Rep.

Seconded. I laughed my ass off, literally.

Nirvikalpa
03-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Third worst is better than 1st and 2nd worst... sort of... *eye twitch*

Acala
03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
When I look at the map, I see the makings of a nice little republic running from Texas west to Arizona and north up to Idaho, Montana, and the Dakotas. Would need to run the statists out of New Mexico, but hardly anyone lives there anyway.

eating_nachos
03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
When I look at the map, I see the makings of a nice little republic running from Texas west to Arizona and north up to Idaho, Montana, and the Dakotas. Would need to run the statists out of New Mexico, but hardly anyone lives there anyway.

You would need to build a fence to keep out Californians.

Christian Liberty
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM

They elected Gary for governor, so they can't all be bad. Granted, Gary is hardly the best but they could have done far, far worst. In other words, they voted for the most libertarian candidate on the 2012 presidential ballot to be their governor.

LOL!

Acala
03-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Not to worry. California would build a wall to keep them in!

PaulConventionWV
03-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Is there a comprehensive list of this? I would like to know where WV ranks. I'd imagine it's pretty good. I've heard that we have a good economy because people here know how to live poor.

FSP-Rebel
03-28-2013, 11:07 AM
The black hills and Mt. Rushmore are pretty cool, also the shrine to Crazy Horse.

Matthew5
03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Is there a comprehensive list of this? I would like to know where WV ranks. I'd imagine it's pretty good. I've heard that we have a good economy because people here know how to live poor.

http://freedominthe50states.org/

Fox McCloud
03-28-2013, 12:47 PM

And we both live in tyrannical Ohio. =p Seems they have nothing but contempt for economic and civil freedom half the time...not as bad as some others, but bad enough.

It certainly doesn't help that we're likely impact the absolute worst by the "Affordable" Healthcare Act: http://cdn-files.soa.org/web/research-cost-aca-report.pdf

WM_in_MO
03-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Not to worry. California would build a wall to keep them in!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Escape_From_LA.jpg

Acala
03-28-2013, 03:52 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Escape_From_LA.jpg

Anyone willing to FIGHT to escape The Kingdom of Kalifornia will be welcome in the Republic of Libertaria.

LibForestPaul
03-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Which is worse, NYC vs LA vs SF

NDGirl1959
03-28-2013, 04:17 PM
The rolling green hills of the prairie are beautiful, very serene (central ND). I am making plans to get back there permanently, even if the oil industry is increasing the cost of living and crime is on the rise. Overall the people are decent and hardworking that care about their fellow man. I do not want to be in any urban area when the SHTF which is getting close now. Once the 401k accounts are seized the middle class will finally wake up and there will be complete chaos.