PDA

View Full Version : H.R.525 & S.359 Contact Your Congress Critters And Get Them To Cosponsor!

CaseyJones
03-27-2013, 04:39 PM
what needs to be done now as the grassroots is to support Thomas Massies H.R.525 - Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013 it currently has 36 cosponsors http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/525 think we can get to 100? and the companion bill in the Senate S.359 - Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013 which has a mere 4 cosponsors http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/359/cosponsors so call fax email and while they are in town maybe visit your Reps and Senators to urge them to help get this legislation passed!

contact info for the Senate
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
contact info for the House of Representatives
http://www.house.gov/representatives/

Please call your congressman and ask him or her to cosponsor HR 525. Remind them this is a jobs bill! We need outside pressure to get this bill passed. Congressmen need to hear from their constituents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWITVv8gQwE

sailingaway
03-27-2013, 04:59 PM
bump. I will, who knows. In CA big agri is king.

jkr
03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
et....phone the DOME

JasonC
03-27-2013, 05:25 PM
called..

CaseyJones
03-27-2013, 05:53 PM
called..

awesome!

CaseyJones
03-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Please call your congressman and ask him or her to cosponsor HR 525. Remind them this is a jobs bill! We need outside pressure to get this bill passed. Congressmen need to hear from their constituents.

//

CaseyJones
03-27-2013, 06:50 PM
come on forum member, congressman, and sponsor of this bill Thomas Massie is asking for our help!

MelissaWV
03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
I am pleased to see the man I cast a vote for, already co-sponsoring this bill.

Did the person you voted for do so? Challenge your rep. Be the loud, annoying constituent who also becomes a good story for them to tout during re-election.

CaseyJones
03-27-2013, 07:16 PM
contact info for the Senate
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
contact info for the House of Representatives
http://www.house.gov/representatives/

tnvoter
03-28-2013, 04:30 AM
emailed. /blimp

;)

CaseyJones
03-28-2013, 10:16 AM
emailed. /blimp

;)

woot! awesome!

sailingaway
03-28-2013, 09:37 PM
bump

Professor8000
03-28-2013, 09:49 PM
emailed

QuickZ06
03-28-2013, 11:33 PM
BUMPY. Called Birdwell, Flores, and Cruz telling them to stand with Thomas Massies and Rand on all upcoming bills.

CaseyJones
03-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Excellent Quick! We Need Moar Calls!

Lucille
03-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I emailed McCain the other day requesting he cosponsor S.359, used Ag as the subject, and asked for a response, but I got a gun rights email back today. I got one of those Mon. when I asked him to support Lee's amendment (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408631-Lee-to-Offer-Amendment-Tonight-to-Ban-Most-Gun-Control-in-the-Senate) last Fri. (which he did, surprisingly). Weird.

CaseyJones
03-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I emailed McCain the other day requesting he cosponsor S.359, used Ag as the subject, and asked for a response, but I got a gun rights email back today. I got one of those Mon. when I asked him to support Lee's amendment (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408631-Lee-to-Offer-Amendment-Tonight-to-Ban-Most-Gun-Control-in-the-Senate) last Fri. (which he did, surprisingly). Weird.

what a Wacko Bird huh? :p

CaseyJones
03-29-2013, 12:57 PM
bump :)

CaseyJones
03-29-2013, 02:50 PM
bump :)

:)

andrew1229649
03-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Just emailed Jeff Duncan.......

Hey Congressman,

Your doing a wonderful job representing us folks in the 3rd district. We should always be willing to give credit where it is due, but I don't want to pat your back too hard I might break my arm lol.

Now on to the subject of this letter. So there is this Congressman from Kentucky that goes by the name Thomas Massie, have you heard of him? This guy is conservative to the core, just like you. Anyway, He has sponsored this bill that would allow farmers here in the USA to grow Hemp. At a time when jobs are scarce and the economy is riding on fumes, I think it would be wonderful for us to back this bill.

Thomas did a great job explaining how this bill works here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euAsnxLRWD8 A similar bill actually just passed the Kentucky legislature and is waiting on their Governor to sign it. Please cosponsor H.R.525 for the sake of common sense and jobs.

Thanks,
Andrew Woods

CaseyJones
03-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Thank You Andrew!

MelissaWV
03-29-2013, 06:13 PM
So little cost... so much reward...

CaseyJones
03-29-2013, 07:12 PM
So little cost... so much reward...

I know!!!

CaseyJones
03-29-2013, 08:06 PM
bump

CaseyJones
03-29-2013, 09:09 PM
bump

sailingaway
03-29-2013, 10:01 PM
bump

andrew1229649
03-30-2013, 09:42 AM
I will be calling Jeff Duncan's office Monday as well.

Cleaner44
03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Done. There is no try.

CaseyJones
03-30-2013, 10:58 AM
..There is no try.

yep

sailingaway
03-30-2013, 11:32 AM
bump!

CaseyJones
03-30-2013, 01:57 PM
bump!

Thanks for the bump :)

MelissaWV
03-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Mildly depressed at the number of "bump"s versus the number of "I'm going to do this!"s.

BuddyRey
03-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I'll be sure to call on Monday!

CaseyJones
03-30-2013, 09:24 PM
I'll be sure to call on Monday!

excellent BR

WhistlinDave
03-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Sample letter for anyone who likes using the 'contact Senator/Representative so and so' links for their lawmakers....

"Dear Senator Boxer,

I'm sure you're aware of the idiocy of continuing to ban our farmers from the freedom to grow industrial hemp, which has been humanity's most important industrial crop for thousands of years.

Mind you, people can already legally make all the fiber, textiles, paper, plastics, and biofuels they want out of hemp as long as the hemp is imported--at great cost and with lost tax benefit--instead of grown domestically.

This illogical ban on industrial hemp is hurting our economy and our taxable base literally to the tune of MILLIONS DOLLARS per year. Possibly hundreds of millions.

Allowing people to use hemp for industry, but not to grow it domestically, is one of the stupidest things we could continue to do.

It's time to end the madness. Please co-sponsor S.359 and let's pull this great state of ours out of the financial toilet already! Enough is enough.

Thank you,"

Of course this is slightly tailored to California where I'm from and where agriculture is hugely important to the economy, so you can always change it up just a little to suit your state.

I hope we can get these idiots on board (Boxer and Feinstein) because if so, they will create a huge domino effect amongst the others in the Senate with the big D after their names.

[Edit]: Of course I don't favor more taxes. I'm appealing to the only thing that might get these big spenders to cut their puppet strings.

sailingaway
03-30-2013, 10:45 PM
bump!

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Sample letter for anyone who likes using the 'contact Senator/Representative so and so' links for their lawmakers....

"Dear Senator Boxer,

I'm sure you're aware of the idiocy of continuing to ban our farmers from the freedom to grow industrial hemp, which has been humanity's most important industrial crop for thousands of years.

Mind you, people can already legally make all the fiber, textiles, paper, plastics, and biofuels they want out of hemp as long as the hemp is imported--at great cost and with lost tax benefit--instead of grown domestically.

This illogical ban on industrial hemp is hurting our economy and our taxable base literally to the tune of MILLIONS DOLLARS per year. Possibly hundreds of millions.

Allowing people to use hemp for industry, but not to grow it domestically, is one of the stupidest things we could continue to do.

It's time to end the madness. Please co-sponsor S.359 and let's pull this great state of ours out of the financial toilet already! Enough is enough.

Thank you,"

Of course this is slightly tailored to California where I'm from and where agriculture is hugely important to the economy, so you can always change it up just a little to suit your state.

I hope we can get these idiots on board (Boxer and Feinstein) because if so, they will create a huge domino effect amongst the others in the Senate with the big D after their names.

[Edit]: Of course I don't favor more taxes. I'm appealing to the only thing that might get these big spenders to cut their puppet strings.

that's great dave! +rep

cheapseats
03-31-2013, 07:56 AM
that's great dave! +rep

Was it you or someone else with a little bit of arbitrary power who deleted my posts?

How is JoshLowry faring with Google's capricious censorship of Ron Paul Forums?

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 07:58 AM
it was me and goodbye

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 10:13 AM
bump

FSP-Rebel
03-31-2013, 10:47 AM
I hit up my 3 amigos on Friday. Since they're all liberal democrats, I kept it simple and addressed TMass's Act as a much needed jobs bill.

sailingaway
03-31-2013, 11:07 AM
bump!!

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 12:51 PM
I hit up my 3 amigos on Friday. Since they're all liberal democrats, I kept it simple and addressed TMass's Act as a much needed jobs bill.

excellent FSP! + rep!

luctor-et-emergo
03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Bump for liberty !

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Bump for liberty !

thanks for the bump

sailingaway
03-31-2013, 03:04 PM
bump!

andrew1229649
03-31-2013, 04:58 PM
BUMP!

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 06:54 PM
bump

seraphson
03-31-2013, 07:02 PM
I e-mailed the three reps from my state. I'm unusually optimistic about this bill. Hopefully it goes through. The productivity potential is much needed in this economy.

CaseyJones
03-31-2013, 07:37 PM
awesome seraphson! +rep!

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
monday morning bump

andrew1229649
04-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Just called Jeff Duncan's Washington office.

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Just called Jeff Duncan's Washington office.

high 5!!

kcchiefs6465
04-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Called. I've got a Representative that is a cosponsor and the rest have not specifically taken a stance. I reminded them that it is a bill that would create jobs and that it has nothing to do with drugs.

Hell, one Congressman's staff even informed me of Senator Paul's bill and reminded me to contact my Senators. :D

Getting some traction. He knew exactly what I was referring to and mentioned that they've been getting calls all day.

Time to call my Senators.

kcchiefs6465
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Jeff Flake doesn't have a response yet. Any Arizonans that can maybe put a call into his office? It didn't seem like he has received too much pressure.

At least I got through this time.

ETA: And calling John McCain is about as pointless as it gets. He is going to vote how he votes. No need to even be patronized.

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Called. I've got a Representative that is a cosponsor and the rest have not specifically taken a stance. I reminded them that it is a bill that would create jobs and that it has nothing to do with drugs.

Hell, one Congressman's staff even informed me of Senator Paul's bill and reminded me to contact my Senators. :D

Getting some traction. He knew exactly what I was referring to and mentioned that they've been getting calls all day.

Time to call my Senators.

haha far out!

jct74
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
called my congress critter and have this video to share - Massie talking about progress of hemp bill and the importance of calling your reps to pick up cosponsors and keep the bill moving

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
called my congress critter and have this video to share - Massie talking about progress of hemp bill and the importance of calling your reps to pick up cosponsors and keep the bill moving

great! I added the tube to the OP

jct74
04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
great! I added the tube to the OP

thanks Casey. I just got done calling my senators too and told them that even Mitch McConnell is supporting this legislation so they shouldn't be afraid to jump on board.

andrew1229649
04-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks CJ!

tsai3904
04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Here was Ron Paul's statement when he introduced this bill in 2011 (Massie reintroduced the same bill word for word):

SPEECH OF
HON. RON PAUL
OF TEXAS
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
WEDNESDAY, MAY 11, 2011

Mr. PAUL . Mr. Speaker, I rise to introduce the Industrial Hemp Farming Act. The Industrial Hemp Farming Act requires the Federal Government to respect State laws allowing the growing of industrial hemp.

Nine States--Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, Vermont, and West Virginia--allow industrial hemp production or research in accord with State laws. However, Federal law is standing in the way of farmers in these States growing what may be a very profitable crop. Because of current Federal law, all hemp included in products sold in the United States must be imported instead of being grown by American farmers.

Since 1970, the federal Controlled Substances Act's inclusion of industrial hemp in the schedule one definition of marijuana has prohibited American farmers from growing industrial hemp despite the fact that industrial hemp has such a low content of THC (the psychoactive chemical in the related marijuana plant) that nobody can be psychologically affected by consuming hemp. Federal law concedes the safety of industrial hemp by allowing it to be legally imported for use as food.

The United States is the only industrialized nation that prohibits industrial hemp cultivation. The Congressional Research Service has noted that hemp is grown as an established agricultural commodity in approximately 30 nations in Europe, Asia, North America, and South America. The Industrial Hemp Farming Act will relieve this unique restriction on American farmers and allow them to grow industrial hemp in accord with State law.

Industrial hemp is a crop that was grown legally throughout the United States for most of our Nation's history. In fact, during World War II, the Federal Government actively encouraged American farmers to grow industrial hemp to help the war effort. The Department of Agriculture even produced a film ``Hemp for Victory'' encouraging the plant's cultivation.

In recent years, the hemp plant has been put to many popular uses in foods and in industry. Grocery stores sell hemp seeds and oil as well as food products containing oil and seeds from the hemp plant. Industrial hemp is also included in consumer products such as paper, cloths, cosmetics, carpet, and door frames of cars. Hemp has even been used in alternative automobile fuel.

It is unfortunate that the Federal Government has stood in the way of American farmers competing in the global industrial hemp market. Indeed, the founders of our Nation, some of whom grew hemp, would surely find that federal restrictions on farmers growing a safe and profitable crop on their own land are inconsistent with the constitutional guarantee of a limited, restrained Federal Government. Therefore, I urge my colleagues to stand up for American farmers and cosponsor the Industrial Hemp Farming Act.

Here was a statement he made a week earlier for Hemp History Week:

SPEECH OF
HON. RON PAUL
OF TEXAS
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TUESDAY, MAY 3, 2011

Mr. PAUL . Mr. Speaker, I rise to speak about Hemp History Week. To celebrate the American heritage of growing industrial hemp, the Hemp Industries Association, Vote Hemp, American manufacturers, and allied companies and organizations have declared May 2 to May 8, 2011 to be Hemp History Week. Throughout the week, people will recognize America's legacy of industrial hemp farming and call for reinstating respect for farmers' basic right to grow industrial hemp.

Industrial hemp was legally grown throughout our country for many years. In fact, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew industrial hemp and used it to make cloth. During World War II, the federal government encouraged American farmers to grow hemp to help the war effort.

Despite industrial hemp farming being an important part of American history, the federal government has banned cultivation of this crop. In every other industrialized country, industrial hemp, defined to contain less than 0.3 percent THC--the psychoactive chemical found in marijuana, may be legally grown. Nobody can be psychologically affected by consuming industrial hemp. Unfortunately, because of a federal policy that does not distinguish between growing industrial hemp and growing marijuana, all industrial hemp must be imported. The result is high prices, outsourced jobs, and lost opportunities for American manufacturing.

Reintroducing industrial hemp farming in the United States would bring jobs to communities struggling in today's economy, provide American farmers with another crop alternative, and encourage the development of hemp processing factories near American hemp farming.

Industrial hemp is used in many products. For example, industrial hemp is used in protein supplements, non-dairy milk, and frozen desserts. Hemp flour is in breads, crackers, chips, dips, and dressings. Hemp seeds may be eaten plain or added to prepared foods. Additionally, hemp oil is used in a number of cosmetic and body care products, and hemp fiber is used in cloths. Industrial hemp is also present in bio-composite materials used in buildings and automobiles.

I first introduced the Industrial Hemp Farming Act six years ago to end the federal government's ban on American farmers growing industrial hemp. Since then, the industrial hemp industry has grown much larger. Despite its American history, industrial hemp is the only crop that we can buy and sell but not farm in the United States. The federal government should change the law to allow American farmers to grow this profitable crop as American farmers have through most of our nation's history. I plan to reintroduce the Industrial Hemp Farming Act next week. Please cosponsor the Industrial Hemp Farming Act and join me in celebrating Hemp History Week.

tsai3904
04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Rep. Mike Honda [CA-17] and Sen. Tammy Baldwin [WI] cosponsored the bills in the 112th Congress but have yet to cosponsor in this Congress.

kcchiefs6465
04-01-2013, 02:44 PM
My personal two cents on this is that it is pretty f****** ridiculous that in 2013 the entirety of Congress is not behind something so simple. Are there any Congressmen actively speaking out against it?

QuickZ06
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
I even contacted my state representatives today as well on these bills, the more the merrier. Cannot hurt to have support everywhere! Hopefully they will take heed to my advise and talk about these bills in my district to get more people to contact there representatives in the House and Senate.

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 03:36 PM
great work folks keep it up!

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 04:42 PM
bump

kcchiefs6465
04-01-2013, 04:46 PM
great work folks keep it up!
To your knowledge is there anyone vocally opposed to this?

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 04:48 PM
To your knowledge is there anyone vocally opposed to this?

not sure I will ask later

andrew1229649
04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
We should all encourage our friends and family to phone/email their representatives as well.

kcchiefs6465
04-01-2013, 05:28 PM
We should all encourage our friends and family to phone/email their representatives as well.
I'm actually really glad I did. My Representative is a sponsor of HR525. I called another Representative from a county away and his staff was well informed. I will be very disappointed if he votes against it. The guy who answered the phone stated that he hasn't come out with an official position. He stated that the Congressman well understood that hemp had nothing to do with marijuana. He affirmed my statement that the bill would create jobs. Then he told me that I ought to contact my Senators because 'Senator Paul has a bill being put forward.' The guy was obviously a fan of Rand Paul and was well informed of the legislation. Hopefully the Congressman has the same sentiments.

Jeff Flake hasn't formed an opinion, so they say. The woman who answered the phone didn't seem to give a damn what I had to say. (last 20 times I have tried to call him I couldn't even get through so I guess there is some improvement) Those from Arizona, please call your Senator Jeff Flake. I am not sure he understands how important and simple a vote this truly is.

andrew1229649
04-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Great kcchiefs6465!

luctor-et-emergo
04-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Bump for victory !

MelissaWV
04-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Okay folks. Tomorrow is a Tuesday, and it's time to call.

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 08:31 PM

great idea!

CaseyJones
04-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm actually really glad I did. My Representative is a sponsor of HR525. I called another Representative from a county away and his staff was well informed. I will be very disappointed if he votes against it. The guy who answered the phone stated that he hasn't come out with an official position. He stated that the Congressman well understood that hemp had nothing to do with marijuana. He affirmed my statement that the bill would create jobs. Then he told me that I ought to contact my Senators because 'Senator Paul has a bill being put forward.' The guy was obviously a fan of Rand Paul and was well informed of the legislation. Hopefully the Congressman has the same sentiments.

Jeff Flake hasn't formed an opinion, so they say. The woman who answered the phone didn't seem to give a damn what I had to say. (last 20 times I have tried to call him I couldn't even get through so I guess there is some improvement) Those from Arizona, please call your Senator Jeff Flake. I am not sure he understands how important and simple a vote this truly is.

cool chief

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 08:48 AM
tuesday morning bump

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 10:09 AM
bump

andrew1229649
04-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Hemp For Victory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xHCkOnn-A

Could we create an updated version??

chudrockz
04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Mildly depressed at the number of "bump"s versus the number of "I'm going to do this!"s.

Bump, and a commitment from Chud to make the calls this afternoon around 4pm. :)

andrew1229649
04-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks Chud! Report back please :D

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Bump, and a commitment from Chud to make the calls this afternoon around 4pm. :)

woot + rep!

luctor-et-emergo
04-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Hemp For Victory

Now where are those video editors ? This sounds like a good plan, my experience editing video is very limited though.

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Hemp For Victory

nice

Koz
04-02-2013, 01:58 PM
I called 'em all today. Sorry it took so long.

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 02:59 PM
I called 'em all today. Sorry it took so long.

thats cool Koz glad you remembered +rep

chudrockz
04-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Three personal emails sent to Rep. Tim Walz, and Sens. Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken. (Blech on all three of them, but hope they cosponsor a good bill anyhow!)

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Three personal emails sent to Rep. Tim Walz, and Sens. Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken. (Blech on all three of them, but hope they cosponsor a good bill anyhow!)

never know.. thanks man!

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
bump

andrew1229649
04-02-2013, 04:58 PM
https://iqconnect.lmhostediq.com/iqextranet/Customers/SC03JD/SC03_Banner.jpg
April 2, 2013

Dear Mr. Woods,

Thank you for contacting my office in regards to H.R. 525, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013. As your Representative, I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, H.R. 525 was introduced by Representative Thomas Massie and has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, as well as the Committee on the Judiciary. Please know that should this legislation reach the House floor for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Once again, thank you for contacting me with your concerns. It is an honor to serve you in Congress. Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office directly.

Blessings and Liberty,
http://jeffduncan.house.gov/sites/jeffduncan.house.gov/files/images/sc03_sig.png
Jeff Duncan
Member of Congress

Not what I wanted to hear :/

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
that's interesting andrew if he had to make up what looks like a form letter he must be getting some pressure, call him back and tell him if he truly supports this enough cosponsors will force it out of committee

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 06:16 PM
bump

thomas-in-ky
04-02-2013, 06:36 PM
bump

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
bump

ty for the bump ;)

MelissaWV
04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwekc5qgVeA

CaseyJones
04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwekc5qgVeA

that's ,,, special melissa :p ty

CaseyJones
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
it's BUMP day!

andrew1229649
04-03-2013, 10:16 AM
What a cute video Melissa :p

CaseyJones
04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
bump

Neil Desmond
04-03-2013, 04:59 PM
bump

CaseyJones
04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
bump

ty

CaseyJones
04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
bump

sailingaway
04-03-2013, 07:49 PM
bump

CaseyJones
04-04-2013, 05:12 AM
early morning bump

CaseyJones
04-04-2013, 08:24 AM
midmorning bump

CaseyJones
04-04-2013, 10:08 AM
lunch bump

CaseyJones
04-04-2013, 11:27 AM
after lunch bump

CaseyJones
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
after school special bump

tsai3904
04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Senator Feinstein responded to my email. She used a response sent to constituents during the last Congress:

Thank you for writing to me concerning your support for the industrial application of cannabis sativa L (hemp). I appreciate hearing from you on this issue, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

Currently, it is illegal in the U.S. to grow any form of hemp, although products that contain hemp are legally imported from other nations and sold in the U.S. On May 11, 2011, Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) introduced the "Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2011" (H.R.1831), which would have amended the Controlled Substances Act to allow the cultivation of industrial hemp in states that have permitted the substance to be grown. S. 1831 did not come to a vote before the 112th Congress adjourned on January 3, 2013. Accordingly, it will need to be reintroduced for consideration in the 113th Congress.

All cannabis, including hemp, contains delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is classified as a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act. I have concerns that legislation like H.R. 1831 could unintentionally weaken the Controlled Substances Act by allowing for the growth or manufacturing of a product containing THC, which is currently illegal under federal law.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. I hope you will continue to keep in touch on issues that are important to you. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to call my Washington D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

CaseyJones
04-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Senator Feinstein responded to my email. She used a response sent to constituents during the last Congress:

ha, thanks for trying

CaseyJones
04-05-2013, 06:35 AM
bump

CaseyJones
04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
bump

andrew1229649
04-05-2013, 03:24 PM
I met one of Jeff Duncan's communications directors at my county convention last night. Can you guess where I led the conversation?? :D

luctor-et-emergo
04-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Bump!

tsai3904
04-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Email received:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support the Industrial Hemp Farming Act (H.R. 525). I appreciated hearing from you.

Although the U.S. government permitted hemp to be grown for fiber and oil during World War II, the crop has otherwise been illegal in the United States since 1937 due to psychoactive levels of tetrahydrocannabinols (THC) contained in some varieties. While there has been increased interest in legalizing hemp production in the United States, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) have opposed legalization.

As you know, H.R. 525 would amend the Controlled Substances Act to distinguish between industrial hemp and marijuana and to give states the authority to decide whether to permit industrial hemp to be grown. The bill has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary and the Committee on Energy and Commerce, of which I am the senior Democratic member. You can count on me to keep your support in mind when the measure is brought up for consideration.

To learn more about my work in Congress, please follow me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Rep.HenryWaxman or Twitter at www.twitter.com/WaxmanClimate. You may also visit my website at Waxman.house.gov or the Energy and Commerce Committee website at http://democrats.energycommerce.house.gov.

Again, thank you for contacting me and I hope you will continue to keep in touch on all matters of concern.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

HENRY A. WAXMAN
Member of Congress

CaseyJones
04-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Email received:

hmm cool

WhistlinDave
04-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Hey I meant to post this response earlier... My Rep is on board!!

https://iqconnect.lmhostediq.com/iqextranet/Customers/CA47AL/OFFICIAL_Banner_ca47_lowenthal.jpg
April 5, 2013

Dear David,

Thank you for writing to express your support for the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013. I appreciate hearing your concerns and welcome the opportunity to respond to your comments.

As you may know, Congressman Thomas Massie introduced the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013 as H.R.525. This bill would amend the Controlled Substances Act to exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana. Currently, H.R.525 has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee and House Judiciary Committee, where it awaits further action.

Please know that I understand your concerns regarding the importance of industrial hemp and the current challenges in importing hemp for domestic uses. Rest assured that as this bill or similar issues are considered in Congress I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. Your comments help me to better represent the people of our Congressional District. Please stay in touch, and if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to email me through my website at www.lowenthal.house.gov or call my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-7924.

Sincerely,
https://iqconnect.lmhostediq.com/iqextranet/Customers/CA47AL/CA47_Alan_Lowenthal_Signature.jpg
Alan S. Lowenthal
Member of Congress

MelissaWV
04-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Nice! Committee on Natural Resources, too, which means he might actually be able to speak on the subject a bit.

WhistlinDave
04-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Whoops! That was the wrong one... Shoot... I hope I didn't delete it. I need to find the other e-mail. This one was good but in the other one he stated he is co-sponsoring HR525.

WhistlinDave
04-14-2013, 02:56 PM
OK I was wrong yet again... Just found the e-mail I was looking for and here it is. He didn't say he's co-sponsoring HR525, actually it was this:

https://iqconnect.lmhostediq.com/iqextranet/Customers/CA47AL/OFFICIAL_Banner_ca47_lowenthal.jpg

April 7, 2013

Dear David,

Thank you for writing to express your support for medical marijuana protections. I appreciate hearing your concerns and welcome the opportunity to respond to your comments.

As you know, one of the biggest issues surrounding patient access to medical marijuana is the emerging conflicts between state and federal law. Since 1996, California's Proposition 215 has allowed patients with a valid doctor's recommendation, and the patient's designated Primary Caregiver, to possess and cultivate marijuana for the patient's personal medical use. The law has also since expanded to protect a growing collective and cooperative distribution network. Since 2012, seventeen states and the District of Columbia have passed medical marijuana laws similar to those in California.

You may be interested to know that I am a cosponsor of H.R.689, the States' Medical Marijuana Patients Protection Act. This bill, authored by Congressman Earl Blumenauer, would provide for the rescheduling of marijuana to a Schedule III drug, and for the medical use of marijuana in accordance with state law. The rescheduling of marijuana will reallocate law enforcement resources to focus on the prevention of more egregious and violent crimes, rather than focusing on the punishment of medical marijuana patients who abide by state law.

I understand that there are many more pieces of legislation regarding medical marijuana, but I believe this bill is a solid step in the right direction for patients whose access to medical marijuana is being impinged upon by federal law.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. Your comments help me to better represent the people of our Congressional District. Please stay in touch, and if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to email me through my website at www.lowenthal.house.gov or call my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-7924.

Sincerely,

Alan S. Lowenthal
Member of Congress

WhistlinDave
04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
OK, this is the latest. Just got it this morning and this absolutely kicks ass. (Well the part about taxes isn't perfect but if that's what it takes for full legalization I will gladly pay my taxes. (I pay them on everything else already.) Between all these bills happening, something somewhere is going to stick.

For those who haven't yet contacted your representatives, please see the original post in this thread and DO IT!!!! Thank you!

April 15, 2013

Dear David,

Thank you for writing to express your opposition to the federal prohibition on marijuana. I appreciate hearing your concerns and welcome the opportunity to respond to your comments.

As you know, H.R.499, the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2013, was introduced by my colleague Congressman Jared Polis. This bill would remove marijuana from the federal list of controlled substances under the Controlled Substances Act and give the States the authority to regulate the sale, possession, taxation, and use of marijuana. The Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2013 currently awaits consideration before the House Judiciary, Energy and Commerce, Ways and Means, Natural Resources, and Agriculture Committees. In addition, H.R.501, the Marijuana Tax Equity Act of 2013, which imposes an excise tax on the marijuana industry, was introduced by Congressman Earl Blumenauer and referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means. Both of these bills currently await further action at the committee level.

Legalizing and taxing marijuana at the Federal level seems to be gaining some momentum and I believe that H.R.499 and H.R.501 could help end the costly war on drugs by allowing law enforcement to spend limited resources on the enforcement of other, more urgent drug enforcement measures. Rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as this issue comes to the House floor for a vote.

You may also be interested to know that I am a cosponsor of H.R.689, also known as the States' Medical Marijuana Patients Protection Act. This bill, also authored by Congressman Earl Blumenauer, would provide for the rescheduling of marijuana to a Schedule III drug, and authorize the medical use of marijuana in accordance with State law.

Downgrading marijuana from a Schedule I to a Schedule III drug would have an impact by decreasing the excessive costs of regulating marijuana, but I also understand the need to end the Federal prohibition on medical marijuana in order to protect patients who use medical marijuana for treatment.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. Your comments help me to better represent the people of our Congressional District. Please stay in touch, and if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to email me through my website atwww.lowenthal.house.govor call my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-7924.

Sincerely,

Alan S. Lowenthal
Member of Congress

WhistlinDave
04-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Should we start a thread on contacting these committee members in support of H.R. 499 as well?

CaseyJones
04-15-2013, 11:23 AM
ya start one

CaseyJones
04-15-2013, 07:12 PM
bump

WhistlinDave
04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
ya start one

I will do that... I want to get together all the info for all the committee members. (Or is that overkill?)

CaseyJones
04-15-2013, 08:28 PM
no the easier you make it the more likely they may do it

tsai3904
04-18-2013, 09:41 AM
HR 525 picked up a cosponsor yesterday, Rep Trey Radel [FL-19].

37 cosponsors now. 13 Republicans, 25 Democrats (including Massie).

andrew1229649
04-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Bump!

Lucille
05-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Looks like Flake is a no. I know I'm shocked. /

Thank you for contacting me about industrial hemp.

As you may know, S. 359, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013, was introduced by Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) on February 14, 2013. This bill would allow for the commercial cultivation of industrial hemp by excluding it from the definition of marijuana found in the Controlled Substances Act. This bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where it awaits further action.

When weighed against the ongoing efforts to combat illegal marijuana harvesting, the reported benefits associated with industrial hemp production must meet a higher standard. The law enforcement community continues to have reservations about hemp cultivation because, among other things, the similarity in appearance between hemp and marijuana would make locating and destroying the latter more difficult.

I appreciate your taking the time to comment on this issue. Please do not hesitate to do so again in the future. I also encourage you to visit my website at flake.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

JEFF FLAKE
United States Senator

WhistlinDave
05-08-2013, 10:07 PM
BUMP

tsai3904
05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Thank you for contacting me in support of H.R. 525, the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013. I always appreciate hearing from my constituents, and I am glad to receive your input on this important issue.

Industrial hemp can be used for food, fuel, and a variety of commercial products. Because like marijuana it comes from the Cannabis sativa plant, it is regulated by federal law and cannot be grown without a permit from the Drug Enforcement Agency. As you may know, H.R. 525 would exclude industrial hemp from the definition of marijuana.

I believe we need a more rational policy with respect to issues relating to marijuana. For example, I am a cosponsor of bills to allow more freedom at the state level regarding marijuana policy. These bills include H.R. 499, the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act, H.R. 501, the Marijuana Tax Equity Act, H.R. 689, the States' Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act, H.R. 710, the Truth in Trials Act, and H.R. 784, the States' Medical Marijuana Property Rights Protection Act.

As you may know, states have taken a variety of approaches with respect to marijuana, including legalization, decriminalization, and allowing its use of medicinal purposes. For example, California has decriminalized small amounts of marijuana and allows its medical use. However, federal law continues to treat marijuana as a Schedule I controlled substance, the most restrictive of the five schedules.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your views, and I certainly will keep them in mind. I encourage you to visit my website at swalwell.house.gov. On my website, you can view my voting record, sign up for my e-newsletter, and access my Twitter and Facebook pages. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Eric Swalwell
Member of Congress

Sounds like a potential supporter since he's cosponsored many marijuana bills.

tsai3904
05-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Another Republican cosponsor joined yesterday:

Rep Stivers, Steve [OH-15] - 5/9/2013

15 Republicans and 25 Democrats are now on board.

tsai3904
05-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Picked up another Republican cosponsor yesterday:

Rep Gardner, Cory [CO-4] - 5/22/2013

16 Republicans and 25 Democrats are now on board.

tsai3904
06-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Picked up a cosponsor yesterday:

Rep Gabbard, Tulsi [HI-2] - 6/6/2013

16 Republicans and 26 Democrats are now on board.