PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Costs for Disability + Disability Bureaucracy

MRK
03-27-2013, 12:41 PM
I've recently become a regular viewer of drinkingwithbob.com. I was watching this video when I realized I needed to see some numbers in print:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0yQy-nvUI&feature=player_embedded

I googled the topic and found this article among others:

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Federal-disability-payments-costing-taxpayers-260/11JlZZ4_JE2fbwpW5cznBA.cspx

The number of people receiving federal disability payments has exploded, and it's costing U.S taxpayers about $260 billion a year.

Right now, according to NPR, around 14 million Americans get disability payments each month. In the last four years, about 250,000 new applications were submitted each month. At the same time, the nation has averaged about 150, 000 new jobs per month.

Economist Daraius Irani, of Towson University says the number of people approved for the benefit has mostly remained the same, it's just that larger numbers are applying for it. "We will likely see this number go up continously. The decision will have to be, is this something we can afford as a nation or is there a private solution to this."

Most people end up on disability because of back related problems. The average recipient receives about $1,000 a month.

The figures here reveal something more shocking than the total cost of the program in itself. These figures mean that the cost to administer this program is 50% more than what people are actually receiving in payouts!

The cost of this program per recipient using these ballpark numbers is: $260 billion cost per year / 14 million recipients / 12 monthly payments = $1,547 per individual per month.

Yet the article states that the average recipient receives $1,000 per month.

Where do you think the other $547 per individual per month goes?

There's a giant hole somewhere where the disability bureaucracy is taking an additional 54 cents for itself for every dollar distributed for disability payments.

Brian4Liberty
03-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Disability now includes people who say that have a bad back or nearly any kind of mental issues. Basically anyone can apply.

heavenlyboy34
03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Disability now includes people who say that have a bad back or nearly any kind of mental issues. Basically anyone can apply.
I lay some of the blame on disability attorneys who BS their clients' "condition" to get them onto the SSI rolls. :P

Acala
03-27-2013, 02:06 PM
And this is only part of the cost. The Americans With Disabiilities Act, the worst of all the so-called Civil Rights acts and signed by Bush I, costs uncountable billions through unnecessary construction costs and accommodating malingerers on the job.

TonySutton
03-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Another note: as unemployment runs out the govt has been working hard to find a disability program for the unemployed. Basically moving them from temporary assistance to permanent assistance. Great way to help hide the unemployment problem.

Brian4Liberty
03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Another note: as unemployment runs out the govt has been working hard to find a disability program for the unemployed. Basically moving them from temporary assistance to permanent assistance. Great way to help hide the unemployment problem.

Good catch. Modified:

Problem one: "people can't find jobs". Solution: food stamps, extended unemployment payments and welfare (and disability).
Problem two: "jobs can't find people". Solution: import workers from other nations.

Something is obviously wrong with that.

DamianTV
03-27-2013, 03:03 PM
I lay some of the blame on disability attorneys who BS their clients' "condition" to get them onto the SSI rolls. :P

Only in the US will you need a fucking Lawyer to prove you lost your arm or leg. It seems that those without "obvious" injuries have an easier time getting bennies than those with obvios injuries. I mean just look at people like Mayor Bloomberg, who was obviously born without a fully functional brain! He'd have little trouble following his Yellow Brick Road to his benefits, while the Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion and Charles Xavier are just fucked.