PDA

View Full Version : #StandWithRand Part 2? Filibuster Could Be Coming Soon!

Spoa
03-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Call it “Stand with Rand,” part two.

Fresh off his recent 13-hour talk fest from the Senate floor on drones, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is warning Democrats that he and other Republicans are prepared to filibuster again, this time over guns.

Along with Utah Sen. Mike Lee and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Paul sent a letter Friday to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid suggesting they would filibuster any attempt to vote on legislation restricting the right of Americans to express their Second Amendment rights. (RELATED: Jewish Democrat group denounces Rand Paul straw poll victory)

“We, the undersigned, intend to oppose any legislation that would infringe on the American people’s constitutional right to bear arms, or on their ability to exercise this right without being subjected to government surveillance,” the trio of senators wrote to Reid.

“The Second Amendment to the Constitution protects citizens’ right to self-defense,” they wrote. “It speaks to history’s lesson that government cannot be in all places at all times, and history’s warning about the oppression of a government that tries.”

Threatening to filibuster, the Republican senators wrote: “We will oppose the motion to proceed to any legislation that will serve as a vehicle for any additional gun restrictions.”

Reid has said that the Senate will vote soon on gun control legislation, which will include background checks but not an assault weapons ban.

Follow Alex on Twitter

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/26/rand-paul-threatens-to-filibuster-again-this-time-over-guns/#ixzz2OlYtioij

Be ready...it could be coming soon. :)

Brett85
03-27-2013, 12:39 PM
He wasn't talking about a talking filibuster, just requiring 60 votes to proceed to new gun control legislation.

whoisjohngalt
03-27-2013, 01:33 PM
He wasn't talking about a talking filibuster, just requiring 60 votes to proceed to new gun control legislation.

This is speculative. I think he would be down for another talking filibuster, but he probably wouldn't have the opportunity.

FSP-Rebel
03-27-2013, 03:16 PM
The point is to make sure these democrats up for reelection in redder states are on record pushing for gun control and undoubtedly this is a leadership issue in the GOP and why him Lee and Cruz are leading the potential charge. Also, setting up red meat for the conservative PACs and hoping these vulnerable dems don't roll with Harry.

Spoa
03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
The point is to make sure these democrats up for reelection in redder states are on record pushing for gun control and undoubtedly this is a leadership issue in the GOP and why him Lee and Cruz are leading the potential charge. Also, setting up red meat for the conservative PACs and hoping these vulnerable dems don't roll with Harry.

I can imagine that a lot of these Democrats are at Harry's door begging him to let them oppose the gun legislation so that they can hide their true views.

Spoa
03-28-2013, 12:13 PM
And Marco Rubio Joins Paul, Lee, Cruz: http://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=7c98338f-0d06-4efd-84df-fbe1beec1e01

Here's the press release: http://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=93252b9f-7070-40f4-86b3-d39fcd463e25

supermario21
03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Rubio is such an opportunist it is so pathetic yet funny to watch at the same time.

DonovanJames
03-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Rubio is such an opportunist it is so pathetic yet funny to watch at the same time.

But sad that he'll render most of the face-time and credit on certain MSM outlets

itshappening
03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Chuck Grassley (Iowa) says he's writing his own gun control bill. This is the establishments way around a GOP filibuster as Grassley might be able to get some votes to bring it to the floor.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/grassley-writing-alternative-senate-gun-bill-89410.html?hp=r4

Spoa
03-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Inhofe & Rubio join Sens Mike Lee R-UT, Rand Paul R-KY & Ted Cruz R-TX in bid to block gun control legislation via @jamiedupree

Inhofe has signed on making him the 5th Senator to support the efforts. (I'm sure he's genuine...or could he be contemplating a run for president? #sarcasm)

Just to be clear: I think Inhofe is quite genuine in his support of their efforts.

kathy88
03-28-2013, 02:08 PM
lmao @ "Me too" Rubio. What a bufoon.

Matt McGuire
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Just to be clear: I think Inhofe is quite genuine in his support of their efforts.

He's running for re-election in 2014.

supermario21
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Don't forget Inhofe brought an amendment during the budget debate basically forcing the US to not comply with the UN arms treaty. He's genuine on this issue.