PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court limits police use of drug-sniffing dogs

RPfan1992
03-26-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure if this was posted here yet, but I thought that this was a pretty important case from the supreme court.

By Jonathan Stempel

(Reuters) - The Supreme Court on Tuesday limited the ability of police to use a trained dog to sniff around the outside of a home for illegal drugs that might be inside.

By a 5-4 vote, the court said the use by law enforcement authorities of trained police dogs to investigate a home and its immediate surroundings was a "search" within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution, and required a warrant.

"A police officer not armed with a warrant may approach a home and knock, precisely because that is no more than any private citizen might do," Justice Antonin Scalia wrote for the majority.

"But introducing a trained police dog to explore the area around the home in hopes of discovering incriminating evidence is something else," he added. "There is no customary invitation to do that."

For purposes of the Fourth Amendment, Scalia said, "the home is first among equals."

The decision upheld a 2011 ruling by the Florida Supreme Court suppressing evidence uncovered at Joelis Jardines' home with the help of Franky, a chocolate Labrador retriever with a strong record of sniffing out drug stashes.

Howard Blumberg, a public defender who argued Jardines' appeal, said he was pleased by the ruling. "It's a very important decision for all citizens, because it helps ensure their right of privacy in the places where they live," he said in a phone interview.

Gregory Garre, a former U.S. solicitor general who argued Florida's appeal, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

TWO DOG SNIFF CASES

Franky's handler, Detective Douglas Bartelt, had let the dog smell near the base of the front door of the home near Miami after receiving an anonymous tip about marijuana growing inside.

Only after the dog sat down, signaling an "alert" that something was amiss, did the police obtain a warrant to search inside.

The tip proved accurate and more than 25 pounds (11.3 kilograms) of marijuana were found inside, leading to Jardines' arrest.

Blumberg said Jardines is now in a Florida state prison on unrelated charges, but that Tuesday's decision ends the case stemming from the dog's search.

The decision is the court's second this term addressing whether law enforcement authorities complied with the Fourth Amendment in obtaining drug evidence based on a sniffer dog's "alert."

On February 19, the court had unanimously allowed the search of a pickup truck, saying the handler of a dog that had signaled the presence of drug ingredients inside could reasonably believe that the dog was reliable.

IDEOLOGICAL DIVIDE BREACHED

Tuesday's vote did not follow the Supreme Court's usual ideological divide.

Joining Scalia's opinion were Justice Clarence Thomas, who is one of the more conservative justices, and the more liberal Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

In a concurring opinion, Kagan, joined by Ginsburg and Sotomayor, wrote that the search violated Jardines' reasonable expectation of privacy, an issue Scalia did not reach.

The search dog Franky "was not your neighbor's pet," Kagan wrote.

Justice Samuel Alito dissented, joined by Chief Justice John Roberts, Justice Anthony Kennedy and Justice Stephen Breyer.

The latter is part of the court's more liberal wing, but sometimes votes more conservatively in criminal cases.

Alito noted that law-enforcement authorities have employed dogs' acute sense of smell for centuries and the use of Franky was not a trespass and did not violate Jardines' privacy rights.

"A reasonable person understands that odors emanating from a house may be detected from locations that are open to the public," Alito wrote. "A reasonable person will not count on the strength of those odors remaining within the range that, while detectible by a dog, cannot be smelled by a human."

Scalia said using the dog was no different from using thermal imaging technology from afar to peer inside homes without a warrant, which the court voided in a 2001 decision he also wrote.

"The antiquity of the tools that they bring along is irrelevant," Scalia wrote, referring to police.

Scalia also wrote a 2012 decision that limited the police's use of GPS vehicle-tracking devices.

The case is Florida v. Jardines, U.S. Supreme Court, No. 11-564.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Christopher Wilson)

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-limits-police-drug-sniffing-dogs-142330170--spt.html

kathy88
03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, they don't want cops getting attached to dogs anymore, or they may have trouble shooting others (ours) on sight... you know, for officer safety.

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Okay, and wasn't it ruled that you are afforded the same expectation of privacy in your car as in your home and that indeed some people spend more time in their car than in their home? And wasn't it upheld that they can walk a police dog around your car without warrant on 'probable cause,' alone? (the officer's word that you were acting suspicious or smelled like mary jane or....)

I don't get it. It would seem to me that if it qualifies as an unreasonable search at your home (which it does) than it would qualify as an unreasonable search in your car.

Goddamn flip flopping 'justices' (LOL, judges, for all intents and purposes) and the precedents they set.

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Now that I think about it, 'public safety' was probably invoked somewhere in there.

phill4paul
03-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Okay, and wasn't it ruled that you are afforded the same expectation of privacy in your car as in your home and that indeed some people spend more time in their car than in their home? And wasn't it upheld that they can walk a police dog around your car without warrant on 'probable cause,' alone? (the officer's word that you were acting suspicious or smelled like mary jane or....)

I don't get it. It would seem to me that if it qualifies as an unreasonable search at your home (which it does) than it would qualify as an unreasonable search in your car.

Goddamn flip flopping 'justices' (LOL, judges, for all intents and purposes) and the precedents they set.

To paraphrase Kagan....your fourth amendment rights have a strong but not unlimited protection against governmental regulation.

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
To paraphrase Kagan....your fourth amendment rights have a strong but not unlimited protection against governmental regulation.
It was because of 'public safety' wasn't it?

phill4paul
03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
It was because of 'public safety' wasn't it?

Always.

devil21
03-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Another 5-4 decision but it's the right one if the 4th amendment still means anything in this country. The decision was based on the smell of mj through a front door but dogs can be trained to sniff out most anything.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/03/26/supreme-court-dog-sniffing-drug-case/2020743/

sailingaway
03-26-2013, 03:53 PM
good.

FrancisMarion
03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Great.

If I understand correctly, this means they can still walk to your door on your property w/o a warrant. Shouldn't they need a warrant when entering private property, regardless of a front door?

devil21
03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Great.

If I understand correctly, this means they can still walk to your door on your property w/o a warrant. Shouldn't they need a warrant when entering private property, regardless of a front door?

They can walk on common areas such as walkways to front doors without a warrant, or driveways if a "reasonable person" would use such a path to the door. It's basically like wherever the mailman would reasonably be expected to go without issue is open to LEO without a warrant as well. Once they get to the door the rules change. The cops tried to treat the front door of the house the same as a vehicle stop and SCOTUS said no, they are different.

supermario21
03-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Interesting that it was a coalition of Scalia, Thomas, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan.

angelatc
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Interesting that it was a coalition of Scalia, Thomas, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan.

And it was a public defender that took this all the way to the top? How amazing is that?

Origanalist
03-26-2013, 08:48 PM
It's a sad day when we have to celebrate a decision by the men in black for crumbs. How far we have fallen.

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
It's a sad day when we have to celebrate a decision by the men in black for crumbs. How far we have fallen.
But what if a meth lab exploded and burnt up a hundred puppies? :eek:

To the best of my knowledge these [expletives] still fly overhead with Forward Looking Infrared Radar. Said heat signature are enough for them to break down doors, and these judges have lost the logic between the precedents they've set and what the hell comes out of their pie holes.

My car is equal to my home but pig-dogs can snoop.

I pray I misread something somewhere. Or is the guise of public safety superior than the rule of law, or rather, the Constitution?

Matt Collins
03-26-2013, 09:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW8tyTgoQiI

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Good ideas.

Matt Collins
03-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Good ideas.
I'm not a drug user, but Barry Cooper gives some excellent insight into how LEOs operate.

Camron
05-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Its not a good decision.Because in this way you can't control over the crime quickly because you need a warrant to enter in the house until the other person go away or remove the criminal things from its house.And if you don't have dog how you find any thing because you can't smell all that things.
family lawyers gold coast (http://mclaughlinsfamilylaw.com.au/)

Origanalist
05-21-2013, 11:45 PM
Its not a good decision.Because in this way you can't control over the crime quickly because you need a warrant to enter in the house until the other person go away or remove the criminal things from its house.And if you don't have dog how you find any thing because you can't smell all that things.

I don't need a dog, I can smell all that things myself.

Reason
05-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Now we just need to address the loophole of DHS agents using dogs around your vehicle at internal checkpoints...