PDA

View Full Version : California's Gun Confiscators Have a Nerve-Racking Job

green73
03-26-2013, 07:39 AM
On the evening of March 5, nine agents from the California Department of Justice, wearing bulletproof vests and carrying Glock pistols, assembled outside a ranch-style house in a Los Angeles suburb. They were preparing to confiscate weapons from a gun owner who’d recently lost the right to possess firearms after spending two days in a psychiatric hospital. They knocked on the door and asked to come in. These touchy encounters sometimes end in anger and, occasionally, handcuffs. This time, the agents came out peacefully with three guns. Then it was on to the next stop on the list for that night.

California is the only state that takes legally obtained weapons away from citizens who are no longer supposed to have them. There are almost 20,000 such gun owners, state records show, including convicted felons, people under domestic violence restraining orders, or those deemed mentally unstable. “What do we do about the guns that are already in the hands of persons who, by law, are considered too dangerous to possess them?” California Attorney General Kamala Harris wrote to Vice President Biden after the shootings in Newtown, Conn. She recommended that Biden, heading a White House review of gun policy, look to California as a model.

Nationwide, as many as 200,000 people have lost their gun rights but keep their weapons, says Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California at Davis. Many states lack the ability to confiscate firearms because they don’t track purchases as closely as California, which requires most sales to go through a licensed dealer and be reported. “Very, very few states have an archive of firearm owners like we have,” says Wintemute, who helped set up the program.

California’s been going after guns since 2007. Last year agents seized about 2,000 weapons, 117,000 rounds of ammunition, and 11,000 high-capacity magazines, according to state data. The list of those no longer eligible to keep weapons is compiled by matching files on almost 1 million gun owners with databases of new criminal records and involuntary mental health commitments. About 15 to 20 names are added each day, the attorney general’s office says.

Showing up at people’s homes and demanding their guns is about as fun as it sounds. A felony conviction or restraining order is flagged as a “disqualifying event” in California’s database, but it isn’t sufficient evidence to obtain a search warrant, says John Marsh, a supervising agent who coordinates the seizures. So the agents—there are 33 statewide—often must talk their way into a residence to look for weapons. “We’re not contacting anybody who can legally own a gun,” says Marsh, who never knows what to expect when he approaches someone’s door. “I got called the antichrist the other day. Every conspiracy theory you’ve heard of, take that times 10.”

cont
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/california-s-gun-repo-men-have-a-nerve-racking-job-155325406.html

kathy88
03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
So it's not enough to get a warrant, but it's enough to confiscate guns. Makes perfect fucking sense.

satchelmcqueen
03-26-2013, 08:16 AM
pussies

amy31416
03-26-2013, 08:18 AM
If I were a cop/agent ordered to do this, I'd take the guns then return them to the owner so they're now unregistered.

Wonder what they do with all those guns?

Pericles
03-26-2013, 08:28 AM
California's Gun Confiscators Have a Nerve-Racking Job
That should be a job with a short life expectancy and high life insurance premiums.

aGameOfThrones
03-26-2013, 09:01 AM
They won't take guns from crazy, unstable cops.

VIDEODROME
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
It would be interesting to know what standard is used for confiscating or if there are other options. For example, could a more "sane" relative or friend take custody of the guns?

I mean honestly if someone has schizophrenia I'm not sure I want them armed, but we can find other sensible options than government raids. I swear people in government has absolutely no imagination.

bolil
03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
its further than newyork I am afraid. Cook County will soon be taking these measures.

presence
03-26-2013, 10:13 AM
If you can't be trusted with a gun, you shouldn't be out of jail yet.

Todd
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
If you can't be trusted with a gun, you shouldn't be out of jail yet.

indefinite detention coming soon.

They already have something called "Civil commitments" (Involuntary) for many Mental and Sexual crimes once the person has served their criminal sentence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involuntary_commitment

fisharmor
03-26-2013, 11:04 AM
we can find other sensible options than government raids. I swear people in government has absolutely no imagination.

Obviously. One wonders why they don't simply park outside the house, put a chop saw on the front porch with instructions in how to bisect all weapons in the house, and a promise that they won't burn the entire place to the ground if the individual follows their instructions verbatim.

Lucille
03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
A restraining order?! CA judges dole those out like candy on Halloween!

"...almost routinely issued by the court in family law proceedings even when there is relatively meager evidence and usually without notice to the restrained person...it is troubling that they appear to be sought more and more frequently for retaliation and litigation purposes."

Showing up at people’s homes and demanding their guns is about as fun as it sounds. A felony conviction or restraining order is flagged as a “disqualifying event” in California’s database, but it isn’t sufficient evidence to obtain a search warrant, says John Marsh, a supervising agent who coordinates the seizures. So the agents—there are 33 statewide—often must talk their way into a residence to look for weapons. “We’re not contacting anybody who can legally own a gun,” says Marsh, who never knows what to expect when he approaches someone’s door. “I got called the antichrist the other day. Every conspiracy theory you’ve heard of, take that times 10.”

Aw, my heart bleeds...