PDA

View Full Version : Police lieutenant on meeting ticket quotas: Daily exercise in “Creative Writing"

green73
03-26-2013, 07:03 AM
EAST ORANGE, NJ — "Creative writing," is how one East Orange police lieutenant described a typical day on the job. In order to tally a high number of tickets he might break up a fight just over the Newark border and report it occurred in East Orange, issue jaywalking tickets or cite a parent who has double-parked outside an elementary school to run in to pick up her child.

Anything to fill what he describes as his ticket quota.

"They’re telling us you’re not stopping enough people and that’s not nearly enough tickets," said Elaine Settle, an officer with East Orange for 28 years. "It’s getting to the point where you feel like if someone’s walking down the street, minding their own business, they want you to engage them."

Seven members of the East Orange Police Department said during in-person interviews that in the past two years, and most aggressively in recent months, the chief has instituted a quota system, demanding more summonses, arrests, pedestrian and motorist stops with little justification. The Star-Ledger also received 30 additional calls from officers identifying themselves as East Orange police who did not want their names published. They say the threat of disciplinary action to those who don’t fall in line has created a culture of tension and frustrated compliance.

cont
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2013/03/east_orange_police_tickets_quo.html

Christian Liberty
03-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Disgusting. If he doesn't quit, so is he...

satchelmcqueen
03-26-2013, 08:18 AM
ive quit jobs before based on moral issues and corruption. i think these guys should to. set a damn example!!

green73
03-26-2013, 08:20 AM
ive quit jobs before based on moral issues and corruption. i think these guys should to. set a damn example!!

And become a lowly mundane? Surely, you jest.

phill4paul
03-26-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm sure the community college will award some credit hours.

Matt Collins
03-26-2013, 10:30 AM
The Judge wrote about this in his first two books

enjerth
03-26-2013, 10:37 AM
The Judge wrote about this in his first two books

Matthew and Luke speak of this manner of tyranny as well in their books.

They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+23:3-5&version=NIV

Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+11:45-47&version=NIV

ClydeCoulter
03-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Yea, all the cops with a conscience should quit so that we only have psychopaths in there...and all politicians that would support their oath, and all.../sarc

ravedown
03-26-2013, 10:51 AM
this has been exposed in the media, on blogs, podcasts etc. clearly this is s.o.p for cops, the public is aware this is how the system works...the cops position is- 'what are you gonna do about it?' politicians, judges and police chiefs all need that revenue coming in so there clearly won't be any change. i guess the best you can do is try to avoid it if possible.

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Surely it is not a quota. It is an 'enhanced safety targeting mean.' Or a 'recommended community outreach standard.'

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
He said that since going to the Internal Affairs Bureau recently to complain, his stationhouse locker was tattooed with stickers proclaiming him a “rat.”

He said he also found the word “rat” next to his name on a roster list outside the stationhouse cafeteria. “I fear they’re going to set me up and get me fired,” Serrano testified.

Earlier Wednesday, secret recordings made by Polanco at the 41st Precinct stationhouse, also in the South Bronx, were played in court to bolster his testimony.

In the tapes, one of Polanco’s supervisors is heard demanding that cops make their “20 and 1” quota and lambasting those who came up short.

“If you want to be a zero, I’ll treat you like a zero,” patrol Sgt. Marvin Bennett fumed on tape.

Polanco also recorded his patrol commander, Lt. Andrew Valenzano, telling officers to meet their quotas by ticketing bicyclists.

“If you see people over there on bikes, carrying the bags, you know, good stops,” Valenzano says on tape. “That’s what we need.”

Officer Angel Herran, a union delegate, was taped telling officers the quota was agreed to “in this last contract.”

“They’re telling you to ‘go make money,’ ” Herran is heard saying.

Recordings of NYPD officers were played in Manhattan Federal Court on Wednesday pressing cops into quotas.

In this instance, patrol Sgt. Marvin Bennett warns those who want to buck the system, calling them “zeros.”

“So we're going to start correcting and treating those who want to fight the cause and fight the power — that's no problem. No problem. Your names, each one of your names are important …. Trust me, your name is important.”

On another tape, Officer Angel Herran, a union delegate, pleads for solidarity.

“The union's agreeing on it and we're unionized here, this is what we do. You know? ”
This is what we do. You know?

FriedChicken
03-26-2013, 01:55 PM

I'd rather the remain on the force and fight these actions and make the public aware that they exist - as opposed to quitting and letting others that don't care take their place.

heavenlyboy34
03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Surely it is not a quota. It is an 'enhanced safety targeting mean.' Or a 'recommended community outreach standard.'
Well done, Comrade Orwell. Well done. :cool:

Brian4Liberty
03-26-2013, 02:27 PM
When they have no other purpose than to generate revenue to pay for themselves, then they have no purpose at all.