PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Drone Infographic

sailingaway
03-26-2013, 12:21 AM
takes about a 30 seconds to load, the first 20 seconds seem slow... but it is worth waiting for it imho.

http://drones.pitchinteractive.com/

Lucille
03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
And that's just Pakistan! That's really excellent work. Have they done more countries? I hope they do.

brushfire
03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
The page is very well done, and aside from the, imo, overly slow intro, its one of the best I've seen. Data, and sources are all represented, in a graphical format.

This is definitely forward worthy.

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Good graphic. They should make note of when any male age 16-60 started being labeled as enemy combatants.

sailingaway
03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Good graphic. They should make note of when any male age 16-60 started being labeled as enemy combatants.

are you sure it was just male? I thought it was anyone of that age is 'assumed' to be enemy combatants. My own call would be anyone but the actual target should be down as 'other' since clearly they COULD have been anyone at all, if they weren't targeted.

Given the word choice in Holder's letters to Rand, that an American citizen on US soil wouldn't be targeted unless they were a 'combatant' I would think even those only concerned about domestic drones would care about this.

Todd
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
bump. must spread like wildfire.

I won't hold my breath that Bush or Obama will ever be held accountable, impeached, or tried for war crimes for this mess.

bunklocoempire
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
It's pretty easy to imagine (your town hall meeting here) in the place of "tribal meeting".

bump

kcchiefs6465
03-26-2013, 01:38 PM
From the NYT article-

It is also because Mr. Obama embraced a disputed method for counting civilian casualties that did little to box him in. It in effect counts all military-age males in a strike zone as combatants, according to several administration officials, unless there is explicit intelligence posthumously proving them innocent.

Counterterrorism officials insist this approach is one of simple logic: people in an area of known terrorist activity, or found with a top Qaeda operative, are probably up to no good. “Al Qaeda is an insular, paranoid organization — innocent neighbors don’t hitchhike rides in the back of trucks headed for the border with guns and bombs,” said one official, who requested anonymity to speak about what is still a classified program.

This counting method may partly explain the official claims of extraordinarily low collateral deaths. In a speech last year Mr. Brennan, Mr. Obama’s trusted adviser, said that not a single noncombatant had been killed in a year of strikes. And in a recent interview, a senior administration official said that the number of civilians killed in drone strikes in Pakistan under Mr. Obama was in the “single digits” — and that independent counts of scores or hundreds of civilian deaths unwittingly draw on false propaganda claims by militants.

Secret 'Kill List' Proves a Test of Obama's Principles and Will (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/world/obamas-leadership-in-war-on-al-qaeda.html?pagewanted=3&_r=0)

The 'other' on the graphic appears to be those who fall into this category. The 'civilians' numbers are most likely women, and men who are above 60.

IIRC this is not how they always tallied combatants. (combatants being all 'military aged' men) I believe they started that policy after backlash over all of the civilians killed started happening. If that is the case, I think the graphic should mention that date. I believe it was mid-2009.

It would affect the civilian vs. other ratio.

The Northbreather
03-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks for posting.

Thanks to whomever made this!

jbauer
03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
The world turned on the nazi's and held war trials after WW2. Maybe some day?

bump. must spread like wildfire.

I won't hold my breath that Bush or Obama will ever be held accountable, impeached, or tried for war crimes for this mess.

sailingaway
03-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks for posting.

Thanks to whomever made this!

It is makes its point, no question.

Jordan Liberty
03-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before, if so please merge. I wanted to put this in the Rand forum because of the filibuster, but Grassroots Central still has the most traffic so here you go:

http://drones.pitchinteractive.com

Puts it all in perspective: 1.5% of the Pakistanis killed in drone strikes since 2004 were known, high-profile terrorists.

sailingaway
03-27-2013, 09:02 PM
I posted it the other day but I couldn't find it when I wanted to bump it. It is really good. It takes about 30 seconds to load but it is worth it.

kcchiefs6465
03-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Bump.

sailingaway
03-27-2013, 11:39 PM
thanks, I was going to bump this earlier today but I couldn't remember what I titled it...

enhanced_deficit
03-28-2013, 12:32 AM
takes about a 30 seconds to load, the first 20 seconds seem slow... but it is worth waiting for it imho.

http://drones.pitchinteractive.com/

Very informative and sobering at same time. Almost shocking how drone deaths of children/civilians sharply spiked since 2009 after Obama election as noted in graph. Perhaps time to award him another Nobel War Crimes err Peace Prize?

sevin
03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
What pisses me off is you can show this to a Democrat who voted for Obama because they were against the war and they'll still say, "Well, I'm sure Obama has his reasons."

jtap
03-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Very impressive work by the creators.

Thanks for posting.

Carson
03-28-2013, 01:12 PM
It sure didn't act well on my computer. Hang after hang.

As choppy as it is I suppose there is no chance to make a little picture of the victims pop up when you click on their little coffin.

Still was worth it to see it represented that way. Like the point the president left over there. About the same time a new one dropped in here.