PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas governor vetoes voter ID bill

Anti Federalist
03-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Anything else you do in Fortress Amerika requires that you show biometrically approved government papers.

EXCEPT voting for policies and politicians that will abscond with more of my liberty.

Arkansas governor vetoes voter ID bill

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/25/us-usa-arkansas-voterid-idUSBRE92O0XI20130325

(Reuters) - Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe on Monday vetoed a bill proposing citizens show photo identification before casting a ballot, citing risks it could disenfranchise voters, the governor's office said.

Supporters of the proposal, who say it would eliminate the possibility of fraud, plan to override the veto by Beebe, a Democrat. That would require a simple majority in a vote in each chamber of the Republican-dominated state legislature.

Christian Liberty
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't see anything wrong with voter ID. I'm not fanatically anti-illegal immigrants but they shouldn't be voting on policies that are going to affect my life when they aren't even paying into the system...

TaftFan
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Funny, I was just posting about the Arkansas Governor's Race (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?405918-Ron-Paul-Endorses-Curtis-Coleman-for-Governor-of-Arkansas).

Anti Federalist
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I don't see anything wrong with voter ID. I'm not fanatically anti-illegal immigrants but they shouldn't be voting on policies that are going to affect my life when they aren't even paying into the system...

I could give a shit about "paying into the system", the less the better actually.

But it infuriates me that I have to get gate raped and produce papers every time I want to travel, or do anything basically, but any old warm body can waltz into a voting booth and take my freedom and property away, just like that.

Christian Liberty
03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
I could give a shit about "paying into the system", the less the better actually.

If they were just not paying, by itself, I wouldn't really care. You are of course correct that the government is entitled to little or nothing. As a minarchist, I'd say they are definitely taking at least four times as much tax money as they deserve, and that's if we ensure that our defense (Not "Defense", but actual defense) and police system are actually state of the art.

That said....

But it infuriates me that I have to get gate raped and produce papers every time I want to travel, or do anything basically, but any old warm body can waltz into a voting booth and take my freedom and property away, just like that.

This is exactly my point. They aren't just not paying, they're not paying AND voting to take my property away to give to them. People who don't pay taxes, but still get welfare, are costing the rest of us more money... Which is hardly fair to us.

Granted, I get why/that some libertarians do this just to bring the system down. Go for it. But there's no way the system should be SET UP in a way to allow that...

Rothbardian Girl
03-25-2013, 04:12 PM
The ones who work do, and they typically do not get to access the 'benefits' of what they pay into. Not defending this system at all, but I don't think it's accurate to claim that none of them pay into the system.