PDA

View Full Version : Riding Dirt Bike Without Helmet Or Plates Leads to Instant Death Sentence from NYPD

Lucille
03-25-2013, 12:24 PM
The wrong man is on trial.

Riding Dirt Bike Without Helmet Or Plates Leads to Instant Death Sentence from NYPD
http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/25/riding-bike-without-helmet-or-plates-lea

Awful police story out of New York, reported by CBS New York on Friday:

The trial of a man involved in a deadly police chase in the Bronx last August will get underway Monday.

Police said Adalberto Gonzalez was driving a dirt bike the wrong way on a one-way street without plates or a helmet. Officers said that they didn’t follow him, but later saw him stopped at Randall Avenue. When officers approached, Gonzalez allegedly ran off and hopped on the back of another unregistered bike.

The cruiser followed, and police said that Gonzalez jumped off the bike just before the cruiser hit them from behind.

The bike’s driver — an unidentified 28-year-old man — was killed.

Surveillance video caught the scene as a police cruiser slammed into the bike during the chase in Hunts Point.

Gonzalez is charged with resisting arrest and reckless endangerment.

His lawyer is now asking why the officer driving the cruiser was cleared of any wrongdoing.

You can see the video here (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9038124), which makes "involved in a deadly police chase" as per the language of that story a bad joke. The deadliness was 100 percent the cops fault, after two guys on a bike travelled yards safely down a street. Less "chase" than summary slaughter.

And it also looks to me like the cops first hit the bike on which Gonzalez was sitting, before then slamming into him and his friend from behind when he ran and jumped on his friends bike. That police action killed the friend. (The news story quoted above merely says "officers approached" Gonzalez, but again, looks to me like they drove into him before driving into him again on the second bike).

Just another stupid police brutality story, maybe. It has its larger policy implications, though.

The more harmless things that are made excuses for police to interact with you--whether drug possession or bicycle helmet (or motorcycle helmet!) or plate laws--the more horrible crap like this will happen.

Also, alas, the more citizens whose outrage should quell this sort of awful police behavior are likely to just think, well, if you weren't breaking the law, then the cops wouldn't have had to drive full-on into two bikes within a minute.

And two of three commenters show his suspicion is correct:

NotYour (14319)
Live like a thug, die like one.
March 24, 2013, 2:49 PM

polar (11437)
See these viseos of the "Bronx Drirt Bikes" and draw ur conclusions
http://youtu.be/iNj526T09ds
http://youtu.be/7yeJ9oCeC18

aGameOfThrones
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Law breakers deserve no mercy!

kathy88
03-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Helmet laws suck.

AGRP
03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Officer safety.

Christian Liberty
03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
This law is stupid, but this doesn't sound like legitimate murder. Although maybe I'm not reading correctly.

Granted, this does deserve a manslaughter charge or something simply because somebody died in the enforcement of a BS law. But this doesn't sound like murder by cop like some of the other ones do.

amy31416
03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
They're talking about motorized, right? Or has NY gone so nuts as to register pedal bikes?

kathy88
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
They're talking about motorized, right? Or has NY gone so nuts as to register pedal bikes?

Way to go Amy. They will now :)

enjerth
03-25-2013, 01:04 PM
You are not allowed to flee from the cops in fear of your life??

Tell me, officer, is a police cruiser a deadly weapon?

Would it be within my rights to open fire on the approaching police cruiser in this situation?

Is this why I am not allowed to carry a loaded firearm while operating a motor vehicle?

We need to renegotiate, this arrangement is not satisfactory.

enjerth
03-25-2013, 01:10 PM
But this doesn't sound like murder by cop like some of the other ones do.

It sounds like murder to me.

If the guy who was initially struck were killed in that first collision, I would consider manslaughter.

Taking a second aim is definitely premeditated, and the speed indicates malicious intent.

The cop took to it like a pinata.

S.Shorland
03-25-2013, 01:15 PM
If a policeman tried to kill me once,I would try to run to another officer to give myself up rather than trust him again.

WM_in_MO
03-25-2013, 01:59 PM
You are not allowed to flee from the cops in fear of your life??

Tell me, officer, is a police cruiser a deadly weapon?

Would it be within my rights to open fire on the approaching police cruiser in this situation?

Is this why I am not allowed to carry a loaded firearm while operating a motor vehicle?

We need to renegotiate, this arrangement is not satisfactory.
You must be reeducated. I'll schedule your bus to the camp for tomorrow morning.

enjerth
03-25-2013, 02:04 PM
You must be reeducated. I'll schedule your bus to the camp for tomorrow morning.

Can I ride in the front?

HOLLYWOOD
03-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Interested in seeing how brainwashed or stupid the jury will be in this case.

youngbuck
03-25-2013, 02:11 PM
The cop CLEARLY rammed the bike with his cruiser intentionally. F**k the cops.