PDA

View Full Version : Cyprus Church Loses EUR100 Million

sailingaway
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM
I left out the 'and curses those responsible' from the zerohedge headline because it isn't really supported by the article:

Perhaps it was their comment last week that "with the brains in Brussels... the Euro can't last," but the Orthodox Church of Cyprus has lost over EUR100 million reacted to its holdings in Bank of Cyprus. Church leader Archbishop Chrysostomos II, in comments on TV, noted that "Cyprus asked for 'crumbs' compared to large size of Europe’s budget," and that those responsible in Cyprus should be punished (he blames the outgoing government, Ministers of Finance, the Central Bank, and the Executive Directors of Banks) - "those that brought the place into this mess, should sit on the stool." He noted that people will lose jobs and the state will be poorer but that the Church is prepared to help; and his first step - to send invitations to the heads of various Russian companies on the island.

Via Church of Cyprus,

Heads of Russian companies operating in Cyprus will call a working lunch, next Thursday, March 28, 2013, His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos Mr. to encourage them to remain in Cyprus.

Speaking to the media Sunday, March 24, 2013, the Archbishop said: "I think we should stand on our own forces. Do not expect any thing. Our people have unfortunately learned to live with the waste, but when the need to know and live with a few and I think he will live with the few. We will try as much as possible to open a business there that can help the state. We will do this with love, "he added.

He also said that "next Thursday I call - I will send invitations and of course - the heads of various Russian companies on the island, we come to the Archdiocese for a working lunch."

"I want to invite people to talk together, to encourage them to stay that benefit in Cyprus because Cyprus was the only country that gave interest to the Russian capital, and if they had their money in any other European country would receive or 0 or 0.5%, while here they get so much more. At last they have brought the place into this mess, should sit on the stool, "he said.

The Archbishop said that the situation blame the outgoing government, Ministers of Finance, the Central Bank, "which brought the top down, blame and Executive Directors of Banks."

"We all sit on the stool, of course, because they brought up - and found below this poverty of our people, so unexpectedly, without a consideration. It is not vengeful. We must punish naughty, fiber and other fear shall have, "he added.

Replying to a question, the Archbishop said that the banks belong to the shareholders. "It is neither the Governor nor anyone. The Governor can not monitor, or orders appoint either cease or be closed banks. Unfortunately, they stayed with our own apathy. I've said to initiate treatment, "he said.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-25/cyprus-church-loses-eur100-million-curses-those-responsible