PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen at the Beaufort GOP Convention? (detailed - grass roots v establis

sailingaway
03-24-2013, 11:48 PM
establishment)

http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Articles-NEWS-and-COMMENTARY-c-2013-03-24-265954.112112-Whats-going-to-happen-at-the-Beaufort-GOP-Convention.html

FSP-Rebel
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
That's a great background bio on the political landscape in the Beaufort Co GOP leading up to the convention. It's kinda rare to have such a solid dissection in such a fair and balanced approach. This part of the post was unusual:

Williams was supported in his switch & run for the House, against conservative Republican Mattie Lawson, by several longtime Republicans in Beaufort County. Former party chair Ashley Woolard, perennial candidate-seldom-elected Greg Dority, and self-styled political guru Bill Tarpenning campaigned for Williams. Most conservatives supported Dare County resident Mattie Lawson in a three-way race that included Jeremy Adams, who fashioned himself as a "Liberty" Republican. But when Adams lost in the primary he switched his support to Williams and campaigned against Lawson. This announcement of his endorsement of Williams came coincidentally about the time Williams wrote Adams a check to work for him as a "campaign consultant." Williams also reportedly hired Tarpenning and Woolard, to help in his campaign, operating under the guise of a business name to disguise their real identity. In the run-off Republican primary Woolard attacked Lawson. When Lawson won the run-off primary, Woolard, Tarpenning and Williams failed to support her in the General Election. Many believe this led to Democrat Paul Tine's capturing the House seat that had been a Republican seat held by Bill Cook.

sailingaway
03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Well, after his guy lost, getting hired by one of the others isn't a big deal, but if the rest is accurate, there will be feelings there. I don't know if it gives the so called liberty guy's side properly, or if he was a bad egg or what.

But I thought it was pretty in depth too.

lib3rtarian
03-25-2013, 11:34 AM
I have been hearing about this drama all of last year.

MozoVote
04-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Mattie Lawson was a Tea party outsider that the party establishment did NOT want. I think they figured that the NCGOP had a strong enough advantage in enough other legislative races that they'd rather let a Dem win that seat, than someone who could not be "handled". Then take another shot at it 2 years later to get an insider elected.