PDA

View Full Version : Fla. House passes bill banning Internet cafes, adult arcades

Lucille
03-24-2013, 12:33 PM
It never ceases to amaze and infuriate me at how government can destroy businesses and jobs with a vote and a pen, and then pretend like it's a good thing. These job and business destroying control freaks can't sleep at night if people are doing something they don't approve of.

Fla. House passes bill banning Internet cafes, adult arcades
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2013/mar/22/fla-house-voting-today-banning-internet-cafes-adul/

PORT ST. LUCIE — Internet cafes across the state could soon be forced to close their doors.

The Florida House on Friday overwhelming approved a ban on the gambling establishments.

The House voted 108-7 in favor of House Bill 155. It now goes over to the Florida Senate, which is considering a similar measure.

Senate President Don Gaetz, R-Niceville, predicts the bill will be sent to Gov. Rick Scott before the session ends.

Those backing the ban called Internet cafes a "cancer" that has spread throughout neighborhoods across the state.

The push for the ban comes in the wake of arrests and the resignation of Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll.

Carroll has not been accused of any wrongdoing but she did work for a company involved in the business while she was a legislator.

If the proposed bill becomes law, some business owners say they will lose everything.

"It's almost like an adult Chuck E. Cheese. You're just not going home with stuffed animals," said Jan Prieto, who is trying to open an adult arcade in Port St. Lucie.

Prieto said players at adult arcades get prizes like gift cards, not money. She recently quit her job and dumped her life savings into her new business venture.

"They're sitting here collecting more dust," said Prieto.

The sponsor of HB 155 House Rep. Carlos Trujillo did not respond to calls or email.

In the past, Trujillo has called the operations illegal.

"I just don't think it's fair we're getting lumped into this. You know it's not just me, it's thousands of jobs that people are going to be out," said Prieto.

(A few years ago, the local PD was lobbying for resale stores to hold any merchandise for one month because of one incident over a rare, stolen comic book. Well, the crime historians got their ordinance, and now resale stores are not only struggling but closing.)

Anti Federalist
03-24-2013, 12:36 PM
How is an "internet cafe" a gambling establishment?

FFS...yah, try and comply with this one, fuckers!

MelissaWV
03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
How is an "internet cafe" a gambling establishment?

FFS...yah, try and comply with this one, fuckers!

Not sure if the bill is specific about this, but the "internet cafe" places around here just provide terminals that get you to online poker matches, etc., or Keno or whatever other game is being played at the time. In other words, interactive gambling without the need to hire dealers or lure enough players.

There are two places down the road and they are not a "cancer." One is nestled between a thrift shop and a kid-oriented martial arts place (oh the horror!). The other is a little past the downtown shops and is part of a convenience store. No one hobbles there from miles around; it's the same people that already live in the area. There is no way these little shops attract bad people from far away. They just sometimes have the people that lawmakers pretend don't exist, hanging out nearby.

tangent4ronpaul
03-24-2013, 12:45 PM
and what's the difference between an internet cafe and say a starbucks?

In one you rent a computer, in the other you bring your own. Are they banning free WiFi too?

-t

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-24-2013, 03:00 PM
The LT Governor in FL resigned right before this story broke. They are "internet sweepstakes" places, pretending to be charitable, church protected, like bingo, etc. I don;t have time to look up the sources, but that is the general deal with it.

ronpaulfollower999
03-24-2013, 03:07 PM
No matter how nice it is here, it's shit like this that makes me want to pack up and head to New Hampshire tomorrow.

The LT Governor in FL resigned right before this story broke. They are "internet sweepstakes" places, pretending to be charitable, church protected, like bingo, etc. I don;t have time to look up the sources, but that is the general deal with it.

I thought she was involved with the gambling (or whatever it was)?

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-24-2013, 03:38 PM
No matter how nice it is here, it's shit like this that makes me want to pack up and head to New Hampshire tomorrow.

I thought she was involved with the gambling (or whatever it was)?

Yes. That's my understanding.

I will look up sources later... it's not that "I don't have time ever," just not now. As I understand it, they moved to make those places illegal to reduce the "scandal" potential. She's gone. the business is gone, nothing more to talk about... I only chimed in here because the thread was lacking some very important information, and a lack of understanding regarding what these "internet cafes" were doing. No need to compare them to starbucks, etc. Bingo is a better comparison. The fact that high ranking state agents were involved also warrants discussion.

ronpaulfollower999
03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Florida Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll resigns (http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/gubernatorial/florida-lt-gov-jennifer-carroll-resigns/2108607)

At issue: Carroll's connections to Allied Veterans of the World, a Florida nonprofit that operates a chain of Internet sweepstakes cafes as a pseudo-charity for veterans. The cafes sell Internet time for entries into sweepstakes on devices that resemble slot machines.