PDA

View Full Version : Marketplace Fairness Act, aka Internet Sales Tax, just passed

tsai3904
03-22-2013, 05:27 PM
The Internet Sales Tax amendment to the Senate budget resolution passed 75-24. Since the budget is a non-binding resolution, the standalone bill still needs to be voted on by the House and Senate but this sets a precedent for the amount of support it has.

Roll call vote:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00062

ghengis86
03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Fuck them all to hell! How much is enoug? They won't be satisfied until they have everything. Pure evil

dannno
03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
blockchain.info

Matt Collins
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Republicans Opposed
Ayotte
Barrasso
Coats
Cornyn
Cruz
Flake
Grassley
Hatch
Heller
Inhofe
Lee
McConnell
Murkowski
Paul
Roberts
Rubio
Scott
Toomey

Republicans In Favor
Alexander
Blunt
Boozman
Burr
Chambliss
Coburn
Cochran
Collins
Corker
Crapo
Enzi
Fischer
Graham
Hoeven
Isakson
Johanns
Johnson, R
Kirk
McCain
Moran
Portman
Risch
Sessions
Shelby
Thune
Wicker

Matt Collins
03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
The good news is that this was just attached as an amendment to a budget that will never see the light of day, so it's legally frivolous. The downside is that politically, it shows those pushing it (Amazon, WalMart, big-government politicos) that it will likely pass the Senate if they can get it through the house. We haven't seen the end of this fight, in fact it's just beginning.

Brian4Liberty
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Graham and McCain. Noted. #PrimaryGraham

juleswin
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
McCain showing his mavericky side once again. Isn't it very cute :)

tsai3904
03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Roll call vote:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00062

sailingaway
03-22-2013, 05:48 PM
of course they planned to turn it over to the states of residence as use tax, right? not keep it at the federal level?

phill4paul
03-22-2013, 05:56 PM
This is shocking?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvv0x0BAky1qii6tmo1_500.gif

itshappening
03-22-2013, 06:03 PM
The good news is that this was just attached as an amendment to a budget that will never see the light of day, so it's legally frivolous. The downside is that politically, it shows those pushing it (Amazon, WalMart, big-government politicos) that it will likely pass the Senate if they can get it through the house. We haven't seen the end of this fight, in fact it's just beginning.

It will pass the House. Virginia is demanding it and Cantor is from there so they will get it on the floor and will pass it with Dems if necessary.

MRK
03-22-2013, 06:10 PM
http://i2.blogs.indiewire.com/images/blogs/reverseshot/archives/Driving-Nail-Coffin.jpg

This internet mega sales tax plus the internet mega disability compliance tax just announced is going to be the one-two punch that knocks the free internet economy onto the ground for a brief moment. Hopefully we can get it back up again and the coffin hasn't been nailed shut. I thought this day was at least 30 years away :mad:

heavenlyboy34
03-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Oh, McShame...I can always count on you to do the wrong thing. :mad: What a disgrace! :P If elections were remotely fair, he would have been de-elected long ago, IMO. I can haz amendment XVII repealed, plz?

heavenlyboy34
03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
The good thing about this is that it could speed up the development of alternative currencies for webbernet exchange.

Legend1104
03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Told both my mississippi senators this. So disappointed. Everyone should let their senators hear from them.

It is me again. Honestly, I should not be surprised that you have disappointed me again. I have recently had a little more respect since you have been voting more constitutionally, but honestly you vote on the marketplace fairness act is disappointing. Economically it makes no sense. You don't handicap businesses that are succeeding with taxes in order to help others that are not as innovative. Adding more taxes is not the answer. Reducing taxes on brick and mortar businesses is the better solution. These taxes on Internet businesses will be difficult to collect, burdensome, and will hurt the economy. Also, it may help brick and mortars but it will also hurt every single American consumer that buys goods online. You have no constitutional basis for this affront.

Disappointingly yours,
########

supermario21
03-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Was hoping Rubio would've voted for it.

MRK
03-22-2013, 07:05 PM
The idea that this helps brick and mortars is kind of funny. Do brick and mortars live in a world where they are not allowed to buy things from the internet for their own use? Maybe there's a clause in there that brick and mortars are exempt from the internet tax?

Woohoo! Awesome for Brick and Mortars right?

No! That's of course not going to be like that. Brick and Mortars are going to be hurt more by this too.

Plus most people don't do 100% of their shopping online. If they are shopping at a brick and mortar it's because they need whatever it is right away.

If they are shopping online it's not because they want to avoid taxes, it's because they want something that is either hard or impossible to find locally or they want something cheaper because of the economy of scale offered by a wholesale-like distributor that ships something to your door. Of course the prices of the wholesale-esque distributor are going to be less than the retail brick and mortar store - This is economies of scale 101!

What will happen is that these brick and mortar stores are going to find that their customer has less money than before because more of their customer's money online went to sales taxes. I guarantee you any reasonable brick and mortar owner is realizing he's getting screwed just as much as the next guy!

dannno
03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
The idea that this helps brick and mortars is kind of funny. Do brick and mortars live in a world where they are not allowed to buy things from the internet for their own use? Maybe there's a clause in there that brick and mortars are exempt from the internet tax?

Woohoo! Awesome for Brick and Mortars right?

No! That's of course not going to be like that. Brick and Mortars are going to be hurt more by this too.

Plus most people don't do 100% of their shopping online. If they are shopping at a brick and mortar it's because they need whatever it is right away.

If they are shopping online it's not because they want to avoid taxes, it's because they want something that is either hard or impossible to find locally or they want something cheaper because of the economy of scale offered by a wholesale-like distributor that ships something to your door. Of course the prices of the wholesale-esque distributor are going to be less than the retail brick and mortar store - This is economies of scale 101!

What will happen is that these brick and mortar stores are going to find that their customer has less money than before because more of their customer's money online went to sales taxes. I guarantee you any reasonable brick and mortar owner is realizing he's getting screwed just as much as the next guy!

+rep

sluggo
03-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Why would Amazon want an internet sales tax?

kahless
03-22-2013, 07:54 PM
THE WALL OF SHAME

Republicans

Alexander (R-TN)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Burr (R-NC)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Crapo (R-ID)
Enzi (R-WY)
Fischer (R-NE)
Graham (R-SC)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Isakson (R-GA)
Johanns (R-NE)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kirk (R-IL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Moran (R-KS)
Risch (R-ID)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Wicker (R-MS)

Democrats

Baldwin (D-WI)
Begich (D-AK)
Bennet (D-CO)
Blumenthal (D-CT)
Boxer (D-CA)
Brown (D-OH)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Coons (D-DE)
Cowan (D-MA)
Donnelly (D-IN)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Franken (D-MN)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Hagan (D-NC)
Harkin (D-IA)
Heinrich (D-NM)
Heitkamp (D-ND)
Hirono (D-HI)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kaine (D-VA)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Manchin (D-WV)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murphy (D-CT)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Portman (R-OH)
Pryor (D-AR)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schatz (D-HI)
Schumer (D-NY)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Udall (D-CO)
Udall (D-NM)
Warner (D-VA)
Warren (D-MA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)

Independents

King (I-ME)
Sanders (I-VT)

phill4paul
03-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Dunno. I'm a little pissed at Amazon. My brother said he bought me a Government Mule download and was wondering if I got it through e-mail. I haven't. He said he sent me a download last B-Day also. And over $300 over the last year to people that never thanked him. Because they never received it. Just got started checking this shit out.

Not that this applies to the matter at hand. Just an aside.

kahless
03-22-2013, 07:57 PM

To kill off small business competition that cannot turn a profit trying to manage 9600 tax jurisdictions. Amazon and Walmart are large enough where they can do it with ease and make a profit off the interest.

phill4paul
03-22-2013, 07:59 PM
To kill off small business competition that cannot turn a profit trying to manage 9600 tax jurisdictions. Amazon and Walmart are large enough where they can do it with ease and make a profit off the interest.

Which is the whole point of licensing, taxation and legislation, Viva la corporation!

Liberty74
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Fuck them all to hell! How much is enoug? They won't be satisfied until they have everything. Pure evil

If these greedy, power hungry crooks took 100%, they would then demand 110%. That's why big government statists are never happy. Also, notice that NOTHING ever gets solved by any of these programs that call for higher taxes??? Seriously, I can't think of one damn thing. Heck, LBJ started the Great Society with 14% poverty rate and his plan was to "end poverty" yet today the poverty rate is 14.2% AFTER $16 TRILLION on welfare spending since then. It's all a fucking sick JOKE.

Did not McCain campaign in 2008 to protect the internet from such tax? Now he voted for such tax?

heavenlyboy34
03-22-2013, 08:06 PM
That^^ As much as I love Amazon, corporations don't seem to like to play fair. :(

kahless
03-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Which is the whole point of licensing, taxation and legislation, Viva la corporation!

I suspect the average Joe will continue to remember the news reports from years ago when Amazon was against the internet sales tax. You can see it in the comments in many sites from people not realizing Amazon supports it now.

Now that Amazon joined the other side notice they are starting to pick up government contracts like Cloud Services for the CIA. Corporatism at it's best.

heavenlyboy34
03-22-2013, 08:08 PM
If these greedy, power hungry crooks took 100%, they would then demand 110%. That's why big government statists are never happy. Also, notice that NOTHING ever gets solved by any of these programs that call for higher taxes??? Seriously, I can't think of one damn thing. Heck, LBJ started the Great Society with 14% poverty rate and his plan was to "end poverty" yet today the poverty rate is 14.2% AFTER $16 TRILLION on welfare spending since then. It's all a fucking sick JOKE.
And WWI was supposed to be the "war to end all wars". And the dollar is supposed to be backed by gold or silver. There's really not much good to say about the government, is there?

Keith and stuff
03-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Glad to see that the NH and OR Senators voted against this, especially since NH and OR and 2 of the 3 states that would benefit most from this. Sadly, both Senate folk from the other state, DE, voted in favor.

Liberty74
03-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Glad to see that the NH and OR Senators voted against this, especially since NH and OR and 2 of the 3 states that would benefit most from this. Sadly, both Senate folk from the other state, DE, voted in favor.

I buy from Amazon and the internet all the time - did so just tonight. I'm also in DE which is a sales tax free state minus vehicles. Would this mean DE would be paying such internet tax? Or is this still a state issue?

kahless
03-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Whenever I look at vote casts for a bill that will raise taxes or take more of my freedoms I can always guarantee my two Senators Schumer and Gillibrand are on the list. Then I make a bet with myself knowing I will find John McCain, Lindsey Graham and Lamar Alexander. Right again.

This same cast of clowns is emboldened ever day it seems to take more of our rights, increase spending, raise taxes and wage war. Of course no media coverage of what they are doing and no protests.

phill4paul
03-22-2013, 08:22 PM
I suspect the average Joe will continue to remember the news reports from years ago when Amazon was against the internet sales tax. You can see it in the comments in many sites from people not realizing Amazon supports it now.

Now that Amazon joined the other side notice they are starting to pick up government contracts like Cloud Services for the CIA. Corporatism at it's best.

Excellent point. And not one that wasn't intended in my "conspiracy" world view.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to kahless again.

Keith and stuff
03-22-2013, 08:55 PM
I buy from Amazon and the internet all the time - did so just tonight. I'm also in DE which is a sales tax free state minus vehicles. Would this mean DE would be paying such internet tax? Or is this still a state issue?
The bill/amendment would help DE because more people from other states would buy more of their stuff in DE if everything online was taxed. Same with NH and OR. It really wouldn't help any other states to that extent, in that way.

Matt Collins
03-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Why would Amazon want an internet sales tax?See post #22 above.

Oh, and they are trying to do same day / next day delivery to a lot of places, which means they'll practically have physical presences in almost every state.

LibForestPaul
03-22-2013, 08:59 PM

The only thing average Joe remembers is which night honey boo boo or WWF is on, and which day their, welfare, soc sec, medicare, state pension, federal pension, snap, benefit arrives.

Matt Collins
03-22-2013, 09:00 PM
That^^ As much as I love Amazon, corporations don't seem to like to play fair. :(Only because the government is large and powerful enough to do their bidding. If we had a smaller less powerful government then they wouldn't be able to be manipulated to the behest of corporate interests. And in some cases corporations MUST lobby the government because if they don't their competition will.

heavenlyboy34
03-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Only because the government is large and powerful enough to do their bidding. If we had a smaller less powerful government then they wouldn't be able to be manipulated to the behest of corporate interests. And in some cases corporations MUST lobby the government because if they don't their competition will.
Wishful thinking. Even back in 1791 corporatism corrupted the regime (in particular the First National Bank-with significant help from none other than Alexander Hamilton). As long as there is a centralized government, it will be hijacked at some point by monied interests.

jmdrake
03-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Amazon supports this? :confused: Do they think they'll be able to handle the paperwork and smaller start-ups won't?

heavenlyboy34
03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Amazon supports this? :confused: Do they think they'll be able to handle the paperwork and smaller start-ups won't?
Amazon is now a corporation, not an LLC. They can afford it. :( I'm still going to do business with them (like I still buy salad dressing from Wally World), but I haz teh disappoint. :(

Matt Collins
03-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Amazon supports this? :confused: Do they think they'll be able to handle the paperwork and smaller start-ups won't?Yep, absolutely.

phill4paul
03-22-2013, 10:54 PM
As long as there is a centralized government, it will be hijacked at some point by monied interests.

GOVERNment.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to heavenlyboy34 again.

compromise
03-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Moran and Coburn surprised me.

HOLLYWOOD
03-23-2013, 03:39 AM
US is a Fascist Government... with many politicians on Capital Hill that are NEO-FASCISTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJeFrqBJF6E

cheapseats
03-23-2013, 05:09 AM
It was a longstanding loophole for seriously rich people to do their big-ticket shopping out-of-state, specifically to avoid sales tax.

THIS is their idea of "closing loopholes": Now that Little People can avail themselves of the same advantage (TAX AVOIDANCE) via the internet, shut that shit DOWN. Until the Little People in the Liberty Moovement realize/accept/admit/resent that we are IN class warfare...and LOSING, badly...the activism dog don't hunt.

[Yes, I KNOW Anarchists do not recognize tax as valid. Anarchists are not grounded in reality...not in our lifetimes, not in our children's lifetimes, not in our grandchildren's' lifetimes, not as far as the eye can see.]

tangent4ronpaul
03-23-2013, 05:15 AM
It was a longstanding loophole for seriously rich people to do their big-ticket shopping out-of-state, specifically to avoid sales tax.

THIS is their idea of "closing loopholes": Now that Little People can avail themselves of the same advantage (TAX AVOIDANCE) via the internet, shut that shit DOWN. Until the Little People in the Liberty Moovement realize/accept/admit that we are IN class warfare...and LOSING, badly...the activism dog don't hunt.

[Yes, I KNOW Anarchists do not recognize tax as valid. Anarchists are not grounded in reality...not in our lifetimes, not in our children's lifetimes, not in our grandchildren's' lifetimes, not as far as the eye can see.]

AMENDMENT XVI

Passed by Congress July 2, 1909. Ratified February 3, 1913. <== AHEM!!!!

Note: Article I, section 9, of the Constitution was modified by amendment 16.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_amendments_11-27.html

-t

cheapseats
03-23-2013, 05:28 AM
AMENDMENT XVI

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

-t

Anarchism: The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished.

tangent4ronpaul
03-23-2013, 05:32 AM
How did the Federal Government get along without taxing us before 1913?

"Don't steal - the government hates competition"

http://www.libertarianprepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ron-paul-do-not-steal.jpg

-t

Philhelm
03-23-2013, 05:36 AM
Moran and Coburn surprised me.

Yeah, I was disappointed that Moran voted for this. Not surprised, but I had expected him to vote the other way.

libertyjam
03-23-2013, 10:21 AM
AMENDMENT XVI

-t

“… that by the previous ruling it was settled that the provisions of the Sixteenth Amendment conferred no new power of taxation, but simply prohibited the previous complete and plenary power of income taxation possessed by Congress from the beginning from being taken out of the category of indirect taxation to which it inherently belonged and being placed in the category of direct taxation subject to apportionment by a consideration of the sources from which the income was derived…”.
Stanton v. Baltic Mining, 240 US 103 (1916)

“The Sixteenth Amendment … does not extend the taxing power to new or excepted subjects …”.
Peck & Co. v. Lowe, 247 US 165 (1918)

roho76
03-23-2013, 11:32 AM
I thought Amazon was against the internet tax? What changed? Did it get bought out by Raytheon?

muh_roads
03-23-2013, 11:40 AM
This is good news for the deep web and bitcoin.

heavenlyboy34
03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
US is a Fascist Government... with many politicians on Capital Hill that are NEO-FASCISTS

I keep telling people that, but they don't believe me. :(

heavenlyboy34
03-23-2013, 11:43 AM
How did the Federal Government get along without taxing us before 1913?

"Don't steal - the government hates competition"

http://www.libertarianprepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ron-paul-do-not-steal.jpg

-t
They had "nicer" types of taxation like tariffs and inflation.

Brian4Liberty
03-23-2013, 12:17 PM

THIS is their idea of "closing loopholes": Now that Little People can avail themselves of the same advantage (TAX AVOIDANCE) via the internet, shut that shit DOWN. Until the Little People in the Liberty Moovement realize/accept/admit/resent that we are IN class warfare...and LOSING, badly...the activism dog don't hunt.

Cutting out loopholes and broadening the tax base at the same time! And the major corporations (and the ultra wealthy individuals who operate as corporations) will still get net money back from the government at tax time.

HOLLYWOOD
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
I keep telling people that, but they don't believe me. :(Just Great :rolleyes: ...these authoritarian Fascists vote on grabbing more money by taxing a business sale in one state and forcing that tax to another state.

Many in Congress, that voted for this trash are on their way out to the retirement homes of: top lobbyist firms, or campaign donors boards, etc. Or clowns like John McCain's and the others fraudsters, figure people won't remember by their next "RE-elections" years down the road.

When the founder of Best Buy buys back his failing company, he must of knew paying for heavy bribery by the lobbyists of the prostitute on Capital Hill, to conjure-up another con tax on all Americans playing the Class Warfare con (again).

Now I presume, you have to buy "stuff" from Canada, Central America, and Aisa to avoid these city/county/state sales taxes.

In regards to this enforced tax is to "punish the .001% wealthy who use loopholes", well it's another lawyer-up smokescreen and slippery slope schemes of "Class Warfare meme".

http://suite101.com/article/income-tax-declared-unconstitutional-a208974

The U.S. Supreme Court, in 1895, ruled unconstitutional a federal law containing income taxes, with arguments concerning class warfare and the definition of a direct tax.

Chief Justice Melville Fuller
The Court decided the case in April, a Court that believed "property was sacrosanct," and "economic regulation was taboo," according to writer Burt Solomon. Chief Justice Fuller, writing for the 5-3 majority, declared that income taxes on real estate was a direct tax and therefore unconstitutional. The majority also discarded the tax on interest from municipal bonds as an infringement on the states. However, with one justice absent, other issues in the case split 4-4 and the case was retried.

In May, with a full complement of justices, the Supreme Court threw out the entire Wilson-Gorman law by a 5-4 margin. Fuller, again for the majority, wrote that the unconstitutionality of the income tax on real estate scuttled the whole law, despite the possibility of some taxes, like wages, being constitutional. Dissenting, John Harlan stated that it was a dangerous precedent in ruling income taxes unconstitutional- it could open society to social unrest.

Both sides in Pollock v. Farmers' Loan and Trust Co. feared that unrest if they didn't prevail. And both couldn't agree on the definition of a direct tax as written in the Constitution. What did become apparent, according to Harlan, was that a constitutional amendment allowing income taxes would be needed. That was for the future- the Sixteenth Amendment.

http://c.suite101.com/files/styles/article_full/public/000/112/000112574.jpg
Chief Justice Melvin Fuller 1905

kahless
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
This is good news for the deep web and bitcoin.

Not sure about that anymore. Our fascist government is trying to get their money grubbing hands on bitcoins also.

Feds Attack Bitcoin
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/134317.html

Web Money Gets Laundering Rule
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324373204578374611351125202.html

Zippyjuan
03-23-2013, 01:18 PM
There were like 500 non- binding amendments to the spending bill (which is iteslf non- binding). The bill is symbolic but in actuality does absolutely nothing.

Matt Collins
03-23-2013, 01:59 PM
I thought Amazon was against the internet tax? What changed? Did it get bought out by Raytheon?They realized they can stifile their competition. Plus they are trying to move to same day / next day delivery which means they'll have a physical presence in most states thus subject to sales taxation. They don't want to have to be the only ones to pay, so they want everyone to pay.

osan
03-23-2013, 03:32 PM
The Internet Sales Tax amendment to the Senate budget resolution passed 75-24. Since the budget is a non-binding resolution, the standalone bill still needs to be voted on by the House and Senate but this sets a precedent for the amount of support it has.

Roll call vote:

If this becomes law then I bid you all an upfront and fond farewell.

I do believe we are but a hair's breadth away from being completely hosed. Just look at the list of traitorous senators. But they shall most of them be recycled for about 6 years, come time because American are indeed that stupid.

I wonder what life on Pitcairn is like and if they'd let me come to live there.

anaconda
03-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Why would Amazon and Walmart want their products taxed more? Would it not have the effect of reducing their sales?

UPDATE: Nevermind. I just read your post #57 above.

anaconda
03-23-2013, 06:11 PM
They realized they can stifile their competition. Plus they are trying to move to same day / next day delivery which means they'll have a physical presence in most states thus subject to sales taxation. They don't want to have to be the only ones to pay, so they want everyone to pay.

It seems that amazon has been opposed to collecting sales tax, at least on some level..

"In 2011, Amazon threatened to terminate roughly 10,000 of its affiliates located in California if legislation pending in the state legislature to deem such affiliates as constituting a nexus that requires the collection of sales tax is passed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

RonPaulFanInGA
03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Republicans In Favor
Alexander
Blunt
Boozman
Burr
Chambliss
Coburn
Cochran
Collins
Corker
Crapo
Enzi
Fischer
Graham
Hoeven
Isakson
Johanns
Johnson, R
Kirk
McCain
Moran
Portman
Risch
Sessions
Shelby
Thune
Wicker

What a shock; the Wonder RINO Twins (McCain and Graham) voted for it.

compromise
03-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I was disappointed that Moran voted for this. Not surprised, but I had expected him to vote the other way.

Why would someone backed by the Taxed Enough Already (Tea) Party movement vote for more tax?

RonPaulFanInGA
03-23-2013, 06:32 PM

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7397/getabrainmorans.jpg

osan
03-23-2013, 06:51 PM
There were like 500 non- binding amendments to the spending bill (which is iteslf non- binding). The bill is symbolic but in actuality does absolutely nothing.

Au contraire, mon ami. It does plenty. It changes the psychological landscape, even if only subtly and that is the greatest power on the planet.

Origanalist
03-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Graham and McCain. Noted. #PrimaryGraham

Real shocker huh?

Origanalist
03-23-2013, 06:56 PM
What a shock; the Wonder RINO Twins (McCain and Graham) voted for it.

Beat me to it.

kahless
03-23-2013, 07:00 PM
It seems that amazon has been opposed to collecting sales tax, at least on some level..

"In 2011, Amazon threatened to terminate roughly 10,000 of its affiliates located in California if legislation pending in the state legislature to deem such affiliates as constituting a nexus that requires the collection of sales tax is passed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_tax

Which leaves the average Joe still believing that Amazon is against it and what a great company they are. They caved shortly after that when they realized they can make a fortune from profits from interest, charging their customers for collecting in 9600 jurisdictions and kill their small business competition at the same time.

Look at the dates of the these articles and the efforts they went through to fight to screw us. Amazon is dead to me.

Amazon Stands To Win Big From Marketplace Fairness Act
Nov 17, 2011 12:51 PM
http://multichannelmerchant.com/ecommerce/amazon-marketplace-fairness-act-jt5/#ixzz2OPjilXII

It’s no surprise that Amazon – which had ducked proposed online sales tax measures in the past on a state-by-state basis – has embraced this bill. The online behemoth stands to win BIG if this bill becomes law!

Amazon will offer to handle sales-tax chores for merchants who sell products through its site for a fee equivalent to 2.9% of the taxes collected. The optional service, which is set to roll out Feb. 1, 2012, will be offered to Amazon's third-party vendors in all 50 states.

Industry experts say this strategy could produce a veritable windfall for Amazon

Amazon Supports Marketplace Fairness Act
http://multichannelmerchant.com/ecommerce/news/amazon-marketplace-fairness-act-1109tpp1/

Nov 9, 2011 1:36 PM, By Tim Parry
Ecommerce giant Amazon.com has come out in support of the Marketplace Fairness Act, a federal bill introduced this morning by U.S. Senators Richard J. Durbin (D-IL), Lamar Alexander (R-TN) and Michael B. Enzi (R-WY), that would create a constitutional framework for collecting sales tax online.

Amazon's Billion-Dollar Payday Nearing Thanks To Marketplace Fairness Act
Apr 26 2012, 09:29
http://seekingalpha.com/article/530681-amazon-s-billion-dollar-payday-nearing-thanks-to-marketplace-fairness-act

Amazon’s Love Note to Senate Backs Sales-Tax Proposal
http://allthingsd.com/20130214/amazons-love-note-to-senate-backs-sales-tax-proposal/
February 14, 2013 at 12:12 pm PT

Amazon sent a love letter to the U.S. Senate on Valentine’s Day, thanking senators for a proposal that could put to rest the company’s long-standing sales-tax issues.
In a letter, Paul Misener, Amazon’s VP for global public policy, said, “I am writing to thank you for your bill, which will allow states with simplified rules to require sales tax collection by out-of-state sellers who choose to make sales to in-state buyers.”
“Amazon.com has long supported a simplified nationwide approach that is evenhandedly applied and applicable to all but the smallest volume sellers.”

In online sales tax debate, $1M business is 'mom and pop'
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9237819/In_online_sales_tax_debate_1M_business_is_mom_and_ pop_

Emmett O'Keefe, director of public policy for Amazon, argued that sales tax collections will not create a burden on these businesses because of the software.

"It's all automated," said O'Keefe. "It's easy, it's doable, it's built into every shopping cart that's out there."

List of businesses that support the act.
http://www.marketplacefairness.org/support/

osan
03-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Just Great :rolleyes: ...these authoritarian Fascists vote on grabbing more money by taxing a business sale in one state and forcing that tax to another state.

This effectively works out to states taxing each other. Huh... I thought that was a no-no.

Many in Congress, that voted for this trash are on their way out to the retirement homes of: top lobbyist firms, or campaign donors boards, etc. Or clowns like John McCain's and the others fraudsters, figure people won't remember by their next "RE-elections" years down the road.

They need to be shot and their homes burned to the ground.

There. I said it. I am unapologetic. And I do feel better.

If this comes to pass I will stand that much closer to the unavoidable conclusion that Americans are no longer Americans and will in fact lie down for anything these psychopaths demand.

Now I presume, you have to buy "stuff" from Canada, Central America, and Aisa to avoid these city/county/state sales taxes.

Silly rabbit cannot be serious.

And the band plays on as the ship rests ever lower in the water.

We the people, statistically speaking, are idiots. The farther we allow Them to take this, the closer we come to that threshold beyond which the ONLY thing that holds any possibility of saving us will be mass bloodshed as we butcher these wildly criminal mobsters. Even at this late stage we can still put the brakes on all this, but the vast majority are still at the mall. In another couple of years or less we will have crossed that quiet threshold and then what will the average American Milquetoast do? Will he rise up, armed, and properly put an end to the rape? I cannot say for sure, but from where I stand at the moment my money is on the rapist at about 20:1.

Just think about that - the average American is in fact a disgusting, willfully ignorant, self-important, self-absorbed, hopelessly pussified, myopic (or perhaps rather blind), weak kneed, limp wristed, wishy washing idiot MILQUETOAST child trapped in what otherwise appears to be an adult body. Is there anything on this planet more revolting and more deserving of his state of servitude that this man? I make no joke when I say that I hold the child molester in higher esteem than this sort. At least he is unequivocal in his perfidy, which bespeaks the merest whisper of honesty that the average American refuses to manage.

There is this part of me, this very dangerous part, that prays for the worst to befall us and that it survives just long enough to see the average American and all others like him wiped away from the face of the earth as so much vanilla ice cream from the face of a child whose sloppiness exasperates his mother and forces her hand to action. I confess my weariness at watching these walking mutilations of proper humanity as they pass from one day to the next in their states of blissful, self-centered stupidity in willful and often welcoming accord with whatever the tyrant may happen to have up his sleeve on any given day. Their very presence makes me weary for they are the most dully tiresome creatures in the world. They have NOTHING to offer and are therefore as nothing to me and to the world. A more unworthy creature I fail to imagine. Next to them, watching paint dry proves endlessly and utterly captivating. Such mawkish stupidity has no place in this world and I do believe that this world of which we are a part understands this and will ultimately take steps to cleanse itself of the poison. In. Time.

I wish but to live long enough to see it; this, my own slice of pointless childishness.

I guess the toothache from my dentist's significant botching of a filling is getting me on the shorts and right now Monday looks very far off from where I am sitting.

My apologies.

anaconda
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Which leaves the average Joe still believing that Amazon is against it and what a great company they are. They caved shortly after that when they realized they can make a fortune from profits from interest, charging their customers for collecting in 9600 jurisdictions and kill their small business competition at the same time.

Look at the dates of the these articles and the efforts they went through to fight to screw us. Amazon is dead to me.

Thank you for all of the links, and for educating my sorry naive ass.

Lucille
03-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I know I'm shocked that the fascists in Washington struck yet another blow at small businesses.

The Tax-Free Internet Shopping Era May Be Over
http://armstrongeconomics.com/2013/03/24/the-tax-free-internet-shopping-era-may-be-over/

They are introducing the Marketplace Fairness Act as part of the budget. They claim this is not a NEW tax, just that they are enforcing “use” taxes of 45 States. ANYONE who votes for this should be denied office!!!! They are destroying the US consumer economy with a single vote. If you wanted to know what will turn the economy down – here it is.

Consumers who shop online for many reasons will now be taxed in a free-for-all to support pension of people who work for the states who have been promised FAR MORE than you will ever get. The problem is the overhead on small business and how will they collect all these taxes from all these states and pay them. AMAZON is supporting this because this will kill any competition and given them a comparative advantage preventing small business from rising killing jobs in the USA. They should call this bill the ANTI-CONSUMER & Small Business Bill. AMAZON is obviously too big for their own good and have forgotten what made them a success. They are destroying the online business after putting local competition out of business.

We are cattle to be milked until we die, and then our children have to pay on what is left. They never get enough and now they will further reduce the economy by over-regulating the internet. Small business who fails to collect taxes will be imprisoned, their assets confiscated, and their person will be extradited around the country. Lawyers will do well for all the extra imprisonment and the bean counters will be be able to charge outrageous fees trying to comply with 45 states. The United States imprisons more people than the rest of the world combined. Liberty & Justice for all have become slogans of propaganda. There is NO law passed without imprisonment if you do not comply. In a society as corrupt as we have, the only place for a honest man becomes prison.

These smug people who support this attack upon the economy should be voted out of office. This is FAR MORE than just a tax. You cannot subject online business to 45 tax collectors with different laws. This will be real chaos and it precisely the end of the US economic consumer driven economy.