PDA

View Full Version : GOP Senator Sponsors Measure Calling For U.S. Withdrawal From The U.N.

jct74
03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
GOP Senator Sponsors Measure Calling For U.S. Withdrawal From The U.N.

By Hayes Brown on Mar 22, 2013 at 10:58 am

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/RandPaulTalkToTheHand-e1323446971885.jpg

Senate Republicans are using the debate around the Fiscal Year 2014 budget to push as many of their far-right ideas as possible, including now a move to have the United States completely withdraw from the United Nations.

An amendment was filed by Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) for just such a purpose, purporting to delete all spending related to the United Nations from the FY14 budget. Specifically, the amendment calls for a reduction of $7,691,822,000 in spending 2014 and 2023. That slash goes beyond even the most draconian of cuts proposed by House Republicans since they reclaimed a majority in 2010.

According to the Better World Campaign, the U.S. payment to the United Nations includes two main parts. The first includes the United States’ contribution to the U.N.’s regular budget and the other bodies under the U.N. umbrella, the second payment into the U.N.’s international peacekeeping efforts. Contributions from across the entirety of the Federal government into the various parts of the U.N. system equals the total that Sen. Paul is seeking to cut, according to 2011 calculations from the Office of Management and Budget.

read more:
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2013/03/22/1760571/rand-paul-un-budget/

The Goat
03-22-2013, 03:18 PM
nice!

kathy88
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
That peacekeeping part...... How's that work, exactly?

Brett85
03-22-2013, 03:30 PM
What does this amendment have to do with "withdrawing" from the United Nations? It seems like it has more to do with just cutting funding for certain U.N activities.

supermario21
03-22-2013, 03:39 PM
ThinkProgress is freaking out thinking this means withdrawal from the UN. I only wish that were the case, but this is a solid step.

itshappening
03-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Withdraw from the U.N and kick the parasites out of New York.

July
03-22-2013, 03:43 PM
ThinkProgress is freaking out thinking this means withdrawal from the UN. I only wish that were the case, but this is a solid step.

Agreed.

Christian Liberty
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Withdraw from the U.N and kick the parasites out of New York.

Might as well nuke the state. That's the only way you're going to succeed in getting all of the parasites out of New York;)

(Note: I live in NYS, that should be proof enough that this is a joke and not a serious suggestion.)

thoughtomator
03-22-2013, 03:50 PM

you take a bunch of armed rapists from one third world shithole and put them in another third world shithole, and the US taxpayer pays for it

afwjam
Go Rand.

itshappening
Might as well nuke the state. That's the only way you're going to succeed in getting all of the parasites out of New York;)

(Note: I live in NYS, that should be proof enough that this is a joke and not a serious suggestion.)

Are there any eminent domain laws we can use to reclaim the U.N building? Now that would be ironic.

Barrex
03-22-2013, 04:12 PM

You bring troops (from Germany, Netherland, US, UK) to "keep peace" (Borat style: NOT)... Then they bring prostitutes and brothels (that we didnt have) and AIDS (also didnt have) and other veneral disease. Then they disarm people and say they will protect them. Then they leave and let those disarmed people get killed (Srebrenica). Then you send drugs as humanitarian aid (that are toxic because their expiration date is past) and then you donate animals cows, sheeps, goats etc. that also have disease....other nasty stuff like rape, crime etc...Then you leave.

At least that was peace keeping mission in BiH.

satchelmcqueen
03-22-2013, 04:13 PM
rand has balls. i love it!

rand, not his balls.

anaconda
03-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Paraphrased: It only costs us 12 cents on the dollar to terrorize the planet on behalf of global governance and resource theft. It would cost us the full dollar otherwise.

erowe1
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM

I think it pretty much does, doesn't it?

FSP-Rebel
03-22-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm glad he's offering a rash of amendments over the last few days to turn attention away from the immigration and abortion statements made recently. Obviously, he has to make his libertarian positions known on certain social issues but it's nice to see him fire back with more red meat for conservatives in terms of finances and UN related stuff. As long as he can continue to drown out a negative here and there with an onslaught of positives he should maintain his favorable prominence.

supermario21
03-22-2013, 06:47 PM
It's a good CSPAN night. I like the whole rapid fire voting because it allows you to read the minds of the Senators without them going back and consulting their advisors.

Galileo Galilei
03-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Rand is not proposing a withdrawal from the UN, he is proposing a reduction in money sent to them.

Getting out of the UN would be idiotic, because the US has veto power over everything it does.

Good job Rand for noticing this.

rprprs
03-23-2013, 07:35 AM
+rep for the brevity of that perfectly-worded, sarcastic and rhetorical question. You have a knack. ;)

rubioneocon
03-23-2013, 08:50 AM

Uhh . . .

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/fpfronpaul.jpg

FriedChicken
03-23-2013, 11:22 AM
rand has balls. i love it!

rand, not his balls.

It is so tempting to make this quote part of my signature.

kathy88
03-23-2013, 11:35 AM
It is so tempting to make this quote part of my signature.

I think you really should...