PDA

View Full Version : GOP Debates in St. Pete next week

ladyliberty
11-24-2007, 08:22 AM
There are going to be some protestors at the GOP debates that I want everyone to be aware of. They are homeless people potesting the war that the Mayor of St. Pete has declared on them! Instead of helping them to find homes, and safe places to live, the Mayor has decided that the best thing to do is to "get rid of them!" How? By burning their tents, jailing them for trumped up charges and so forth. They come here from all over the United States because of the warm climate. According to national statistics at least one 1 in 4 of them are American Vets! (I am guessing even more than that!) Others are patients released from Mental Hospitals because the medicaid money ran out - they are literally thrown out of the facilities. It is disgraceful. There were several homeless people who were present at Ron Paul's Freedom Rally in Coachman Park last week. They have lost all hope of ever living a "normal" life again. I just wanted everyone here to be aware of the situation, so we can decide before hand how we might behave when we encounter the protestors. Odds are they will all be locked up without due process long before any of us arrive on the scene, because that is the way the Mayor does things around here.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5022545&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Homeless, activists to protest outside GOP debate

Friday, 23 Nov 2007, 9:17 PM EST

Many in St. Petersburg's homeless population will set up camp in front of the Mahaffey Theater next week. We've got you covered

ST. PETERSBURG - Activists will try to embarrass St. Petersburg on a national stage next week.

They are urging the homeless to camp outside the Mahaffey Theater, the host site of Wednesday's GOP Presidential debate.

Activists say they're being ignored by the presidential hopefuls and their own city. That's why they literally want to frame a homeless camp around the debate.

"In particular, bring to light the unjust, harsh, punitive actions by the Mayor, City Council and St. Petersburg police," said activist Eric Rubin.

The city is supporting a plan to open a larger homeless center. But some activists are very critical of that plan.

They fear those who seek shelter will have to submit to criminal background checks, which could send some to jail on outstanding warrants.

The activists leading this demonstration outside the upcoming debate have four demands. They want the homeless to co-manage their shelter, they don't want the city to hassle those who prefer to stay on the street, they want more land for homeless women and children, and they do not want background checks.

walt
11-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Feed them, engage them and show the media how compassionate a Ron Paul society could be

(if not run by the Chicago meetup group organizer)

ladyliberty
11-24-2007, 12:05 PM
EXACTLY - show them that they do not need big government and "more of the same treatment" they have been getting. It is time to end this "War on the Homeless"

(it was originally declared a war against homelessness - but the city officials have actually declared war on the homeless people who live in their city!)

ladyliberty
11-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Here they are using box cutters to cut up the only place the homeless have to sleep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrPdZmPB36U

here is the supposed "Plan"

http://www.pinellascounty.org/homeless-policy-group/pdf/plan_end_homelessness.pdf

ladyliberty
11-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Here is a homeless shelter asking for donations of money and supplies. I think it would be exceptionally generous if someone would be willing to set up a collection site at the debates to deliver goods to the shelter, does anyone else want to help?

http://www.asaphomeless.org/donate.html

ladyliberty
11-24-2007, 12:51 PM
<bump>

Why does this concern me so much ? - because there but for the Grace of God go I. I was homeless as a little girl. When my step-father lost his job we lived in the car for two weeks, eating crackers and using gas station bathrooms while he drove to my uncle's house to look for another job. So I feel their pain and want to do something to help in some small way.

Ron Paul's end to NAFTA might bring back the jobs that Americans used to have. The factories might reopen and the people will be able to go back to work. His plan would help Veteran's recieve the mental health treatment that they need. We have been sending our guys overseas, and then when they come home our government just seems to forget all about them!

fireworks_god
11-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Interesting... Is the campaign aware of this?

chandlerLBT
11-25-2007, 03:28 PM
don't feed them, they will be undergoing a hunger strike.

hillertexas
11-26-2007, 10:28 AM
bump

ladyliberty
11-26-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=41268&page=6

I spoke to Rev. Wright this morning and he said they have plenty of food from their Thanksgiving food drive. They do need back packs, sleeping bags and blankets. he also said they need video recording equipment to document the abuses against the homeless that are occuring. The detruction of Tent City is but the tip of the iceburg!!

Flirple
11-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure if anything should or shouldn't be proactively done for them in the way of giving them handouts. But anyone that is going to this debate please watch over them and make sure they are not treated unfairly by the police. Make sure that they are not held to a different standard than any of the other people that are there to support a candidate. Have your cameras ready of course (like I really need to tell Ron Paulians this).