PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: Euro zone call notes reveal extent of alarm over Cyprus

sailingaway
03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Euro zone finance officials acknowledged being "in a mess" over Cyprus during a conference call on Wednesday and discussed imposing capital controls to insulate the region from a possible collapse of the Cypriot economy.
In detailed notes of the call seen by Reuters, one official described emotions as running "very high", making it difficult to come up with rational solutions, and referred to "open talk in regards of (Cyprus) leaving the euro zone".
The call was among members of the Eurogroup Working Group, which consists of deputy finance ministers or senior treasury officials from the 17 euro zone countries as well as representatives from the European Central Bank and the European Commission. The group is chaired by Austria's Thomas Wieser.
Cyprus decided not to take part in the call, a decision that several participants described as troubling and reflecting the wider confusion surrounding the island's predicament.
"The (Cypriot) parliament is obviously too emotional and will not decide on anything, if Cyprus does not even feel that they can attend the call it is a big problem for us," the French representative said, according to the notes seen by Reuters.
"We have never seen this."
The German representative raised the need to learn more about capital outflows from Cyprus to Russia and Britain, and emphasized that "we stand ready to find a solution immediately" as long as the parameters of the bailout agreed among euro zone finance ministers on Saturday are respected.
The official also referred to the need to resolve the issue of Cyprus's two biggest banks, both of which are close to collapse, and mentioned the possibility of Cyprus leaving the euro zone.
In the event of an exit, the official said steps needed to be taken to "ring-fence" the rest of the euro zone from the impact and to ensure there was no contagion to Greece.
One issue repeatedly raised on the call was the risk of large outflows of capital once Cypriot banks reopen, probably on Tuesday. The ECB representative said the situation was being closely monitored and "technical preparations" were being made to try to limit the amount of any outflow.
"Some additional laws need to be passed. Overall we are in a very difficult situation," the official said, according to the notes. "(We're) trying to do everything within the powers to limit any unauthorized outflows."
Cyprus's finance minister continued discussions in Moscow on Thursday to see whether a way can be found to involve Russia in the bailout so that large depositors in Cypriot banks, many of whom are Russian, are not hit with a one-off levy.
Financial markets have largely taken the problems in Cyprus in their stride, perhaps calculating that any collapse of an economy worth only around 17 billion euros, will have only a limited impact, or that a solution will be found in the end.
"Markets believe that we will find a solution and that we will provide more money and this might not be the case," one of the participants on the call said, according to the notes.
In wrapping up the teleconference, the chairman described the situation as "foggy" and expressed concern about Cyprus's decision not to take part in the call.
"The economy is going to tank in Cyprus no matter what," the notes quoted him as saying. "Restrictions on capital will probably be imposed," he said, adding that further conference calls would be organized in the coming days.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-euro-zone-call-notes-reveal-extent-alarm-105850670.html

2young2vote
03-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Part of me wants to see them fail so we can have a good and current example of what it will be like when it happens to the US. I see democrats and republicans talking about the country as if we are beyond the problems nations have had in the past, like we are too good and too advanced for it to happen to us. They need a wake up call.

sailingaway
03-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Part of me wants to see them fail so we can have a good and current example of what it will be like when it happens to the US. I see democrats and republicans talking about the country as if we are beyond the problems nations have had in the past, like we are too good and too advanced for it to happen to us. They need a wake up call.

As someone on twitter just pointed out, Greece started having problems in 2009 when they reached 113% debt to GDP - which the US is expected to reach this year.

paulbot24
03-21-2013, 11:35 PM
"In the event of an exit, the official said steps needed to be taken to "ring-fence" the rest of the euro zone from the impact and to ensure there was no contagion to Greece."

Are you sure they're talking about the eurozone, and not some outbreak at a pig farm? Wow.

RickyJ
03-21-2013, 11:41 PM
This will start a war if they try it. the bankers won't get away with this, no way!

MRK
03-21-2013, 11:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YQgHLtNC-ng

sailingaway
03-21-2013, 11:50 PM
this is actually worse, if you read it: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?408584-ECB-To-Set-quot-Fair-quot-Cypriot-Standard-Of-Living-Via-Capital-Controls

Zippyjuan
03-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Cyprus's finance minister continued discussions in Moscow on Thursday to see whether a way can be found to involve Russia in the bailout so that large depositors in Cypriot banks, many of whom are Russian, are not hit with a one-off levy.
Financial markets have largely taken the problems in Cyprus in their stride, perhaps calculating that any collapse

According to one source I read this week, 38% of the money in Cyprus banks belongs to Russians. That is why they have an interest in trying to get this solved. (and the amount being sought is not a huge one by international standards- $13 billion- that would be less than one percent of the US GDP).

RickyJ
03-21-2013, 11:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YQgHLtNC-ng

That was OK, but he needs to work on his enthusiasm, he seems a tad bored and uninterested in what he is talking about. :D

Zippyjuan
03-21-2013, 11:52 PM
As someone on twitter just pointed out, Greece started having problems in 2009 when they reached 113% debt to GDP - which the US is expected to reach this year.

According to Wiki, their public debt is currently 84% of GDP.

sailingaway
03-21-2013, 11:53 PM
According to Wiki, their public debt is currently 84% of GDP.

that seems wrong unless it doesn't count bailouts as debt, doesn't it?

paulbot24
03-22-2013, 12:25 AM
According to one source I read this week, 38% of the money in Cyprus banks belongs to Russians. That is why they have an interest in trying to get this solved. (and the amount being sought is not a huge one by international standards- $13 billion- that would be less than one percent of the US GDP).

By solved, do you mean something that still screws all Cyprians, with the brunt of the punishment reserved for the Russians with deposits exceeding 100,000 euro who deserve it because, well, they're Russian. I say this because lately the media is making "Russian" synonymous with rich ex-KGB mobster. This is the solution I am hearing now. The EU despises any nation who attempt an exit strategy. They have an interest in getting this resolved because once you join the EU, you don't just walk away. Ever. Who sounds more like mafia to you?

angelatc
03-22-2013, 09:16 AM

It isn't their money. I only need $400 to get my van fixed, but that doesn't mean I can raid my neighbor's bank account. Bankruptcy is nature's nature's way. Let it fail.

twomp
03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
a couple things, as with the other countries,, it's the banks that ran up this debt with help from the government of course. In order to stop the banks from going under, the government has to allow the banks to take a portion of peoples deposit in order to qualify for a loan from the european central bank(ECB).

In a normal country that has a fiat currency, they could simply print up the money to pay their bills (like in our country) but because they are part to the EU, the european union has them by the short and curlies. Germany doesn't want to print more euros to help because they don't want to devalue their money and cypress doesn't want to steal it's citizens money so they are currently in a standoff.

What we should be routing for is for cypress to give the EU and the ECB the finger, leave the EU and print their own money. Proving like in iceland, they are their own country not at the mercy of the banksters.

itshappening
03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Palast was on Alex Jones yesterday, it was a good interview. Shame for someone who has an economics degree he seemed to like Chavez who "helped the poor" by -in his mind- redistributing the oil money more fairly. Though the real way to help the poor would be to create a true free market in that state. He should know that.