PDA

View Full Version : Video from US prison shows inmate held down, pepper sprayed at close range

sailingaway
03-21-2013, 07:25 PM
http://rt.com/files/news/1e/6d/20/00/screen-1.jpg
http://rt.com/files/news/1e/6d/20/00/pepper-spray-cop-video.si.jpg

In what promises to be a major public relations headache for Maine's Department of Corrections, local media have released raw footage of a restrained inmate being subdued with pepper spray and then left unattended for over twenty minutes.

The story and video first appeared in this week’s Maine Sunday Telegram, and were further reported on by the Portland Press Herald, with a shorter clip accompanied by some two hours of additional video. The raw footage depicts Windham Correctional Center inmate Paul Schlosser being bound to a restraint chair, flanked by five prison officials - three of them in riot gear - protesting that guards “watch his arm,” and subsequently being pepper sprayed in the face at close range by Captain Shawn Welch.

It is unclear how footage of the June 2012 event found its way into the hands of Maine’s media, though the state’s Department of Corrections has already assigned an investigator to locate the source of the leak.

Schlosser was reported to have received treatment for a self-inflicted wound to his arm and was on multiple medications for bipolar disorder and depression prior to the incident.

Captain Welch was initially fired over his actions by Scott Burnheimer, superintendent of the medium-minimum security facility - a decision that was overturned by Maine’s corrections commissioner, who reduced the penalty to a 30-day suspension.

Meanwhile, Judy Garvey, a spokesperson for the state’s Prisoner Advocacy Coalition, criticized the department’s focus on the source of the leak instead of concentrating its resources on preventing similar incidents from occurring in the future. "Trying to find out how the information got into the hands of a reporter shows a reluctance to have transparency. It reeks of government heavy-handedness in oversight,” she told the Press Herald.

Garvey further recommended that the Department of Corrections look to create an advocacy group for prisoners’ treatment.

http://rt.com/usa/pepper-spray-cop-video-626/

fr33
03-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Those officers deserve to spend a decade or 2 in a cell.

QueenB4Liberty
03-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Those officers deserve to spend a decade or 2 in a cell.

Yeah fuck them.

coastie
03-21-2013, 08:29 PM
So they are holding his eyes open with an open palm, then spraying him with pepper spray from less than 2 feet from his face, into his eyes......

In training to be able to carry this stuff, you (usually) have to be sprayed with it - then fight off an attacker and retain your weapon/balance/control the entire time. not as easy as most think(specially not the shit we carried in the CG, whoa momma hot). Point is, the guy spraying was 15 ft away, and gave us 2 "1 second" sweeps.

We were trained not to spray in close proximity, as that was the time to get down and dirty with the hands/baton. It was also because of the ballistic needle effect, where a fluid having the velocity pepper spray has can actually penetrate the membrane of the eyes, causing further damage - and I can imagine further excruciating pain.

The pieces of shit working at that prison have been sprayed in training, and knew what they were doing to this man. I equate the pain to dipping your face in a deep fryer, after igniting thermite in your eyes - and I had my fucking eyes closed when being sprayed, holding my breath, knowing it was coming.

This man was being TORTURED. Let's start calling this shit what it is, and demand the trial/conviction/ public hangings of all involved.

Xhin
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Garvey further recommended that the Department of Corrections look to create an advocacy group for prisoners’ treatment.

Yes, let's fix government issues with more government. That always works. :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
03-21-2013, 10:39 PM
SA, this was posted today already.

sailingaway
03-21-2013, 10:40 PM
SA, this was posted today already.
I'll look for it...

Anti Federalist
03-21-2013, 10:43 PM
I'll look for it...

My mistake, phill posted in the police abuse thread, but not under a thread of its own.

Maine officials seeking pepper-spray video leak

The Maine Department of Corrections is investigating to determine how the press obtained video and documents about a captain's treatment of an inmate last year.

Not why a Mundane was treated like this, but who leaked it to a, mostly, uncaring public.

I believe this happens more often than anybody, apologists especially, would care to admit.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwq1zk4i6X1qagyvoo1_500.jpg

kcchiefs6465
03-21-2013, 10:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/PRQMcGY.jpg?1

Nothing to see here.

kcchiefs6465
03-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Damn it AF. You beat me to it.

Anti Federalist
03-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Cops killed by "civilians" in 2012:

"Civilians" killed by cops in 2012: