PDA

View Full Version : Prayer in Schools

idiom
11-24-2007, 06:27 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned much that is a hot button in the christian arena is the education departments and the supreme courts general initimidation of kids who want to pray in school.

Ron Paul supports the Constitution, ergo he supports the rights of kids and teachers to pray.

General concept for those who have no idea what I am on about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPZFugvu8uI

There is a real perception that the government interferes a great deal in what children are allowed to learn and believe and the resentment of this can be pretty fierce.

ClassicalLiberal
11-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm an atheist. Personally, I'd prefer that there be no organized prayer in public schools. But, I think Ron Paul is right on the Constitutional question. "Congress shall make no law . . ." does not mean the state shall make no law or the school board shall make no law. The Supreme Court has gotten this one wrong.

I know fellow secularist minded folk who are aghast that I think this way. So not only is the school prayer issue one that will affect how advocates of school prayer regard Ron Paul's candidacy, and may be positive selling point with them, it's a problem when it comes to selling the idea of a Ron Paul presidency to people who think the public sphere should be secular space.

All of us need to take a breath now and then, both religionists and secularists, and remember that just because we hold certain values fiercely, that does not mean they are enshrined in the Constitution. I don't like the idea of prayer in public school, but I don't think it is unconstitutional. However, many people who agree with me on the first part, vehemently disagree with me on the second. And their resentments can be as strong as any religious person's.