PDA

View Full Version : Congress votes to force USPS to keep Saturday delivery

tangent4ronpaul
03-21-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-congress-set-to-force-usps-to-keep-saturday-delivery-20130321,0,760209.story

The financially beleaguered U.S. Postal Service suffered a setback in its plan to end Saturday delivery of first-class mail as Congress on Thursday passed legislation requiring six-day delivery.

The Postal Service, which lost $16 billion last year, had announced last month its plan to switch to five-day mail service to save $2 billion annually.

No law requires the Postal Service to deliver mail six days a week, but Congress has traditionally included a provision in legislation to fund the federal government each year that has prevented the Postal Service from reducing delivery service.

The House of Representatives on Thursday gave final approval to the legislation, known as a continuing resolution, that maintains the provision, sending it to President Barack Obama to sign into law. The Senate approved the measure on Wednesday.

“Once the delivery schedule language in the Continuing Resolution becomes law, we will discuss it with our Board of Governors to determine our next steps,” said David Partenheimer, a spokesman for the Postal Service.

Several polls have shown a majority of the public supports ending six-day delivery of first-class mail.

The Postal Service has said that while it would not pick up or deliver first-class mail, magazines and direct mail, it would continue to deliver packages and pharmaceutical drugs.

The plan for a new delivery schedule, Partenheimer said, would respond to the customers' changing needs and would help keep the Postal Service from becoming a burden to taxpayers.

The Postal Service, an independent agency not funded by taxpayers, has said it could need a taxpayer bailout of more than $47 billion by 2017 if Congress does not give it flexibility to change its operations.

It had planned to drop first-class mail delivery in August.

Ending six-day first-class mail delivery is part of the Postal Service's larger plan to cut costs and raise revenues.

The mail carrier loses $25 million each day, as more Americans communicate by email and the Internet, and as heavy mandatory payments into its future retirees' health fund take a toll.

The Postal Service could run out of money by October if Congress does not provide legislative relief, some experts have estimated.

A number of lawmakers and trade groups said the plan to cut Saturday mail service is illegal because the Postal Service requires Congress' approval before it makes such a decision.

But others such as Republican Representative Darrell Issa of California and Republican Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma have supported the Postal Service's delivery schedule plan.

Last week, Coburn introduced an amendment to the spending bill to strike down the requirement for six-day mail delivery and give the mail carrier more control over its operations. But that amendment failed.

Ali Ahmad, a spokesman for Issa, said there may still be some room for the Postal Service to change its delivery schedule. Ahmad said that although the spending measure maintains the six-day delivery language, it is vague and does not stop the Postal Service from altering what products it delivers on Saturdays.

-t

TonySutton
03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
This is why we amtrak instead of private passenger trains. Congressional meddling.

oyarde
03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Retarded , let them drop a day and balance the books.

fr33
03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
They'll keep squeezing water from stone.

Matt Collins
03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Great, now prices will continue to rise, and people will look for other alternatives. Sheesh, don't they know, the free market will work around the USPS:rolleyes:

ZENemy
03-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Why are they so obsessed with keeping this going? Makes me think the freeman argument that "Postal codes" give them jurisdiction over you has some weight to it.

cheapseats
03-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Why are they so obsessed with keeping this going?

EXTREMELY well-compensated, thoroughly SELF-SERVING members of Congress are unwilling to antagonize any voters with spending cuts.

"Unwired" seniors LOVE snail mail...and they VOTE.

Christian Liberty
03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Just cut out the post office. Frankly, this seems like one of the stupidest things in the constitution. Granted, I support a much smaller government than even the US constitution prescribes, but this is the one thing that is completely senseless in it. (Other things are evil, such as eminent domain even being allowed at all, but its not SENSELESS.)

heavenlyboy34
03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
A service that nearly everyone uses, and the gov't still can't even break even at it. Why is it I should trust them with anything else again?

kathy88
03-21-2013, 12:20 PM
The Postal Service has said that while it would not pick up or deliver first-class mail, magazines and direct mail, it would continue to deliver packages and pharmaceutical drugs.

Gotta keep the sheep high while they consume.

ZENemy
03-21-2013, 12:22 PM
EXTREMELY well-compensated, thoroughly SELF-SERVING members of Congress are unwilling to antagonize any voters with spending cuts.

"Unwired" seniors LOVE snail mail...and they VOTE.

Makes sense! :(

cheapseats
03-21-2013, 12:22 PM
A service that nearly everyone uses, and the gov't still can't even break even at it. Why is it I should trust them with anything else again?

Because not everything is rightly a PROFIT PARADIGM.

NOT to assert that mail delivery falls in that category but, IF one accepts Government as a Necessary Evil, it implies that there are some things more correctly handled/administered/DONE by Government/PublicSector DESPITE its notorious inefficiency, goofiness and even graft.

heavenlyboy34
03-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Because not everything is rightly a PROFIT PARADIGM.

NOT to assert that mail delivery falls in that category but, IF one accepts Government as a Necessary Evil, it implies that there are some things more correctly handled/administered/DONE by Government/PublicSector DESPITE its notorious inefficiency, goofiness and even graft.
No, but even non-profit ventures are in deep shit if they can't make ends meet. (e.t.a. everything is subject to the laws of economics, even when not in a "profit paradigm") Your local fine arts troupes, for example, most likely depend heavily on patrons and donations. I suggest switching the P.O. to a non-profit org with no gov't funding to the extent that it's government regulated and allow private sector competition (or donations/subscription to fund valuable P.O. services like 6 day service). There are probably numerous other possibilities, which is why I don't propose to be a central planner of anything.

Christian Liberty
03-21-2013, 12:34 PM
I want government to protect me from criminals (Yes, I know right now they are the criminals) and to punish those that do get away with committing violence against me or anyone else. I want government to stop any foreign nation that actually dares attempt attack our country. I do not want government to deliver my mail, as a private company can do it far better.

ninepointfive
03-21-2013, 12:55 PM
postal workers make loads. i know, cause i had a lib friend who has a GED, and gets better pay than most people who are college educated.

cheapseats
03-21-2013, 01:04 PM
postal workers make loads.

Yes, indeedy, we "found ourselves" paying EXORBITANT wages to postal workers/LOAFERS.

But there is an idiosyncratic wrinkle, in that the Post Office alone...among all federal agencies...was commanded by Congress to FUND benefits liabilities . . . FUND the same kinda benefits that are among the rest of government's UNFUNDED LIABILITIES iceberg.

Understanding the Post Office’s Benefits Mess
By Josh Barro Aug 2, 2012 6:17 AM PT

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-02/understanding-the-post-office-s-benefits-mess.html