PDA

View Full Version : Ben Carson supports Rand, opposed Afghanistan/Iraq wars from the beginning.

wormyguy
03-21-2013, 09:33 AM
On Rand: nationalreview.com/corner/343337/ben-carson-2016-i-rand-i-may-run-too-andrew-johnson (http://nationalreview.com/corner/343337/ben-carson-2016-i-rand-i-may-run-too-andrew-johnson)

On the wars: dailycaller.com/2013/03/19/ben-carsons-most-surprising-policy-positions/ (http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/19/ben-carsons-most-surprising-policy-positions/)

Good to see.

EBounding
03-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Good read, thanks.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/19/ben-carsons-most-surprising-policy-positions/

Highlights I thought were interesting:

The reluctance to attack Iraq might qualify as a mainstream position these days, at least outside of the Republican Party. More surprising, however, is Carson’s claim that he would not have gone to war in Afghanistan — an action that was generally viewed as an act of self-defense at the time.

“I personally would not have [gone to war in Afghanistan] because, you know, you’ve got to look at the history of Afghanistan,” he said. “You’ve got 300 tribal leaders throughout the country who have never been united in anything so who are you going to negotiate with? How are you going to achieve peace in a situation like that?”

On the topic of gay marriage, Carson said he doesn’t believe “anyone from any group has the right to redefine a major pillar of society.” But, he added, “any two consenting adults have the right to formalize a relationship between them.”

On the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants in the country, Carson says he would ”of course allow [illegal immigrants] to have a pathway to citizenship. That’s the only humane and reasonable thing to do.”

He also said the U.S. should ”just look to our north” to figure out how to reform America’s immigration system.

On CNN Sunday, Carson said he was not a Republican but an independent. He explained to TheDC that he used to be a Democrat.

Carson is a devout Christian — a Seventh-Day Adventist, to be exact.
Thought this was interesting personally. One belief of 7th Day Adventists is that the afterlife is not biblical. I've recently found this to be true.

TER
03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Paul/Carson 2016?

fr33
03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm glad he's talking about the wars. After the Republicans on the internet jumped on the Carson bandwagon, he's trying to teach them a thing or 2.

jmdrake
03-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Paul/Carson 2016?

I like it. How about this slogan? "Let's get some doctors in the Whitehouse for a change."

(Note I'm generally against VP speculation, but this is too good to pass up.)

jmdrake
03-21-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm glad he's talking about the wars. After the Republicans on the internet jumped on the Carson bandwagon, he's trying to teach them a thing or 2.

Yeah. They might have gotten more than what they bargained for. And if he did go into politics, they'd have a hard time smearing him. He's squeaky clean.

EBounding
03-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Paul/Carson 2016?

I personally would support anyone who was seriously reluctant to go to war. It would be a vast improvement over what we've had for the past few decades.

axiomata
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Paul/Carson 2016?

The marketing scheme writes itself.

tangent4ronpaul
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Paul/Carson 2016?

I personally like Carson/Paul better.

Why? - Because Carson is 61 and wouldn't be seeking more than 2 terms in the oval office (VEEP => POTUS), but that would work for Rand, like Biden is considering... We could get 16 years of Rand if things worked out right...

-t

EBounding
03-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Full Disclosure, Carson is for some forms of gun control, for what it's worth. I'm surprised they didn't include that in the article.

Bastiat's The Law
03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
If Carson can get his act together regarding guns, he'd be a possible VP choice.

TaftFan
03-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Full Disclosure, Carson is for some forms of gun control, for what it's worth. I'm surprised they didn't include that in the article.

He is misinformed. I think he can be corrected on that fairly easily.

COpatriot
03-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Suck on that Hannity.

EBounding
03-21-2013, 06:26 PM
He is misinformed. I think he can be corrected on that fairly easily.

I think so too if he's serious about running for anything (some think he may run for Senate in Michigan). Not that it's any better, but he said that he would support "local control" but not necessarily federal control. I think he can be educated that the point of the 2nd amendment is to keep the government in check, not just to protect your farm from thieves.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/03/04/dr_benjamin_carson_on_gun_control_it_depends_on_wh ere_you_live.html

jim49er
03-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm still not sold on this guy a whole lot of info needs to come out.

fr33
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm still not sold on this guy a whole lot of info needs to come out.

I don't understand why people jumped on the Carson 2016 bandwagon immediately. I mean I liked his speech at the prayer breakfast but to make a presidential jump is just crazy. This might be a controversial thing to say but I suspect some of that "white guilt" might play into some of it. That and the realization that the GOP is not very racially diverse. I felt the same way when people jumped on the Herman Cain bandwagon. I just never took him serious. He seemed like an epic troll.

jim49er
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't understand why people jumped on the Carson 2016 bandwagon immediately. I mean I liked his speech at the prayer breakfast but to make a presidential jump is just crazy. This might be a controversial thing to say but I suspect some of that "white guilt" might play into some of it. That and the realization that the GOP is not very racially diverse. I felt the same way when people jumped on the Herman Cain bandwagon. I just never took him serious. He seemed like an epic troll.

I agree with most of that post but people here liked Cain?

fr33
03-21-2013, 08:24 PM
I agree with most of that post but people here liked Cain?
I meant Republicans in general.

HOLLYWOOD
03-21-2013, 08:46 PM
I like it. How about this slogan? "Let's get some doctors in the Whitehouse for a change."

"Let's get some doctors in the Whitehouse for Real and Affordable HealthCare." ;)

jim49er
03-21-2013, 09:04 PM
"Let's get some doctors in the Whitehouse for Real and Affordable HealthCare." ;)

That sounds good but how much do you know about Ben? What are his true positions on healthcare?
I'm getting tired of him telling me to buy his book.