PDA

View Full Version : Drinkers sue Anheuser-Busch for 'watering down' beer

sailingaway
03-20-2013, 07:33 PM
The BBC covers this, of course:

The lawsuits, filed in Pennsylvania, California and other states, claim consumers have been cheated out of the alcohol content stated on beer labels.

The suit involves 10 Anheuser-Busch beers including Budweiser and Michelob.

Anheuser-Busch InBev have called the claims "completely false", and said in a statement "our beers are in full compliance with labelling laws".

The lawsuits are based on information from former employees at breweries owned by the multinational.

"Our information comes from former employees at Anheuser-Busch, who have informed us that, as a matter of corporate practice, all of their products mentioned [in the lawsuit] are watered down," lead lawyer Josh Boxer said.

The complaint claimed that "Anheuser-Busch employs some of most sophisticated process control technology in the world to precisely monitor the alcohol content at the final stages of production, and then adds additional water to produce beers with significantly lower alcohol contents than is represented on the the labels".

The lawsuit alleged that the practice began after the American Anheuser-Busch merged with the Belgian-Brazilian InBev in 2008, to form the world's largest alcohol producer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21597076#TWEET629019

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 07:35 PM
I've suspected as much. Class action? [lol]

fr33
03-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Watered down beer is just another way of saying American Beer.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-20-2013, 07:40 PM
I don't drink, but I love these threads because they always bring out the beer snobs.

"Well, I'd never drink that cheap swill. My sophisticated palate only prefers [expensive/exotic/obscure brand here.]"

seapilot
03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
I thought that was always called Lite beer.

phill4paul
03-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Makers Mark just did a reversal after public outcry against watering down. Of course word got out that they were gonna change it.

chudrockz
03-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Hell, I drank Hamm's all through college. That wasn't "watered down," it practically WAS water! :)

Michigan11
03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
I like to drink alot and my liver can handle it but I agree Anheiser-Busch should be sued to take the name beer of their labels

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Makers Mark just did a reversal after public outcry against watering down. Of course word got out that they were gonna change it.
Did they? I had not heard that. Good to hear though.

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
I like to drink alot and my liver can handle it but I agree Anheiser-Busch should be sued to take the name beer of their labels
Not all of them are that bad. I'm sure there are hundreds of craft beers that are miles above them though. Depends on what you want to spend.

Michigan11
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Not all of them are that bad. I'm sure there are hundreds of craft beers that are miles above them though. Depends on what you want to spend.

Anything to do with Anheiser whatever is garbage. There are so many good local brewers around the country today, no need to drink Anheiser anything anymore

Matt Collins
03-20-2013, 08:00 PM
thank the Federal Reserve: prices go up, portions go down

andrew1229649
03-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Why not use a hydrometer to find out what percentage the beer is?

phill4paul
03-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Did they? I had not heard that. Good to hear though.

They announced that ot meet demand they were going to water down to increase extra demands in production. The announcement stated that they had done studies and could cut the brew with water w/o affecting taste. Out cry got them to reconsider.
I personally thought it was a brilliant publicity stunt. Concocted. Well played.

sailingaway
03-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Did they really? Well, good I guess, but I had run out and gotten a huge bottle for my Dad and was expecting his delight when I gave it to him next time I saw him... now it is just going to be an abnormally large bottle of booze...

FriedChicken
03-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Hell, I drank Hamm's all through college. That wasn't "watered down," it practically WAS water! :)

I have half a can of hamms right beside me now ... next to an empty one.
I definitely appreciate the finer brands (of course, to me, that means Coors banquette) but its still pretty hard to beat a 30 pack for $10.

I fully expect to learn how uncultured I am over the course of this thread.

sailingaway
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM
I definitely appreciate the finer brands (of course, to me, that means Coors banquette) but its still pretty hard to beat a 30 pack for $10.

But Ron Paul supporters have to appreciate the thrift of your position....

AGRP
03-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Nice. Keep that corporate crap off the shelves.

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Lol. I thought Hamms was out of business? I'm drinking a Bud Ice and can't complain too much. I like it better than most high quality beer. I caught shit in the one beer thread for saying that Heineken was high end. [or something to that effect] Do not ever speak about beer to the IPA heads here. You will never win.

HOLLYWOOD
03-20-2013, 08:11 PM
This Bud's For You///

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-michael-roarty-20130319,0,1738497.story

Michael Roarty dies at 84; marketer helped build Anheuser-Busch brand

Michael Roarty oversaw famous ad campaigns, including "This Bud's for you," and persuaded the brewer to help finance the launch of ESPN.

mad cow
03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Did they really? Well, good I guess, but I had run out and gotten a huge bottle for my Dad and was expecting his delight when I gave it to him next time I saw him... now it is just going to be an abnormally large bottle of booze...

If it says 90 proof on the label,you got him the good stuff.

The Northbreather
03-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I wonder if this was after zee germans bought the place a few years back. Created quite a stir.

QuickZ06
03-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Anything to do with Anheiser whatever is garbage. There are so many good local brewers around the country today, no need to drink Anheiser anything anymore

THIS!!!!!

Barrex
03-20-2013, 08:41 PM
Watered down beer is just another way of saying American Beer.

Ols saying proves to be correct after all. American beer: Like making love in a canoe... fucking close to water....... ha ha ha....

phill4paul
03-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Three percentage points. I doubt it would make a difference or be noticed. BUT, the increased publicity was priceless.

jim49er
03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
I don't drink, but I love these threads because they always bring out the beer snobs.

"Well, I'd never drink that cheap swill. My sophisticated palate only prefers [expensive/exotic/obscure brand here.]"

I think we may have a foodie in this one

"Well, I'd never eat that cheap crap. My sophisticated palate only prefers [expensive/exotic/obscure brand here.]"[/QUOTE]

Matthew5
03-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Bland beer makes me sad. :(

All the more reason to get a move-on to get my home brew setup going. :D

phill4paul
03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Lol. I thought Hamms was out of business? I'm drinking a Bud Ice and can't complain too much. I like it better than most high quality beer. I caught shit in the one beer thread for saying that Heineken was high end. [or something to that effect] Do not ever speak about beer to the IPA heads here. You will never win.

I'm an IPA head but my beer choice is Pabst. I love IPA for special occasion and can be quite a snob if offered choices. For the most part I like a proven blue ribbon winner.

MRK
03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
ANHOOSIER BUSCH JUST GOT BOUGHT OUT BY SOME ARABS

MORE AT VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGSN7JVg1yQ

phill4paul
03-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Need I say more...........
ANHOOSIER BUSCH JUST GOT BOUGHT OUT BY SOME ARABS

MORE AT VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGSN7JVg1yQ

brushfire
03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm an IPA head but my beer choice is Pabst. I love IPA for special occasion and can be quite a snob if offered choices. For the most part I like a proven blue ribbon winner.

Real Belgians, and IPAs... PBR for the "table beer". Scotch for the special occasions.

I've had a variety of beers in my time, and enjoy many, but the best IPA I've had to date has to be "Furious".
http://www.surlybrewing.com/beer/year-round-beers.html

I've never had their "special can", but I've had plenty from the tap. For those who live in MN, you sure are lucky to have Surly.

I just may have the local store pick up some of their cans. I'm afraid to though - its so damn good from the tap.

phill4paul
03-20-2013, 09:12 PM
I won't name names but some of you +repping IPA and Pabst drinkers need to come out of the closet.

NOTHING to be ashamed of.

brushfire
03-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I won't name names but some of you +repping IPA and Pabst drinkers need to come out of the closet.

NOTHING to be ashamed of.

Was drinking it when I could only get cans! I remember looking in the back for the case without the dust on it - sometimes they all had dust on them. The last 10 years though, I've been in heaven. They started carrying bottles, and ever since, I've always got a stock of cold pbr in a bottle.

AF had a picture thread, with some 1930's photos. There was one from a Chicago rail yard that had a PBR Clock - that's my desktop image :D

No shame here!

MRK
03-20-2013, 09:26 PM
I must say I'm not a fan of IPA, it just doesn't go down well for my tastes. I love wheat beers, or Weissbiers. I was first introduced to them in Munich when I was 16, and I find that they are pretty hard to come by elsewhere. Probably the closest thing that is somewhat common in the states is Hoegaarden. I'm drinking a Blue Moon right now which advertises itself as a Belgian White Wheat Ale, but it's not even close.

brushfire
03-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Ah what the heck?

http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-125171/cache/color052.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?128032065 4

kcchiefs6465
03-20-2013, 09:42 PM
I must say I'm not a fan of IPA, it just doesn't go down well for my tastes. I love wheat beers, or Weissbiers. I was first introduced to them in Munich when I was 16, and I find that they are pretty hard to come by elsewhere. Probably the closest thing that is somewhat common in the states is Hoegaarden. I'm drinking a Blue Moon right now which advertises itself as a Belgian White Wheat Ale, but it's not even close.
Blue Moon? Meh. That's as 'high end' as this "po' boy" travels and is probably why I have a mixed opinion on them. PBR isn't bad. My connoisseur days ended back I smoked cannabis though. I'm pretty thrifty lately.

fr33
03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
A nut brown ale is my favorite. If I'm just drinking for the sake of it I'll have some Shiners.

phill4paul
03-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Sweet picture! Love the rail yard!

Ah what the heck?

http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-125171/cache/color052.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?128032065 4

The Northbreather
03-20-2013, 09:58 PM
I heard AB products have over 50 chemicals in each brand.

The Northbreather
03-20-2013, 10:03 PM
In my neck o the woods we call pretty much all domestic lagers "road sodees" precisely because they don't get you as drunk and will allegedly allow you to drive better than actual good smaller batch beer.

A.B. = Daytime beer

Matthew5
03-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Shiner is about as mass produced as I like to get, at least they're owned by a Texas corporation. :p

I've been really digging Franconia Brewing in McKinney. They have a Dunkel and a Wheat that is mighty tasty!

Brian4Liberty
03-20-2013, 11:13 PM

Hop heads. A little research will reveal that hops are an herbal medicine, with sedative effects.